Do you like South Park?

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I wonder how come that nobody ever opened a thread about SP.
Its all there - ponerization, aliens, Satan and Jesus, human nature, USA as it is these days.

Its rude, its disgusting at times and it takes a whille to get used to it.
But it delivers a punch and it will make you laugh.

Its very difficult to pick the favourite episode but if I have to it would definitelly be

Woodland Critter Christmas and after it The Passion of Christ

edit- there is a thread after all -about 911 episode:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=3633.msg43766#msg43766

I really enjoy South Park and it is hilarious but it doesn't go any further than that to me, the show basically operates under the premise that everything can be made fun of and that there are a lot of very stupid people in our society. While South Park makes a few good points about many issues such as religion, smoking etc. it seems pretty nihilistic.

Alot of the people I work with like SP. I don't watch much tv. But after listening to the guys at work say how "great it is" I tried watching it.

Umm, no thanks. Don't like it. You are probably right about it having all that info on it. But I can't handle the rude, nastiness of it. I get enough of that in real life.( That is what draws the others to it.)

And than again, maybe I need to lighten up....

Tarri

Considering all the garbage on television these days, I simply LOVE South Park. Cartman is my fave. They have a way of showing how ridiculous things can really get. If I don't get a chance to watch TV at all, I make time on Wednesday nights for SP.

Peg

I don't mind the more "insane" episodes of SP which are purely fiction, but some of their episodes I find a little bit too opinionated. Also its usually only funny by being extreme, and not that clever. But still I do enjoy it from time to time.

Love the show, i guess it clicks with my false personality.

The satire is very there, and i love the little messages stan/kyle throw out with their end of the show, "i've learned something today..." speeches. They do a wonderful job of showing how generation X/Y looks @ our parents - the baby boomers.

Favorite episode of all time = "Cancelled". In it, the boys experience a 'time loop' that eventually leads to the discovery that Earth is one big reality TV show that aliens 'watch' as a sort of 'entertainment'. I took it home as we're all 'watching Earth' learning as we go, and that learning is the 'entertainment', which isn't necessarily 'fun' all the time. They also pull in how jews control all the media in the universe, and are in it solely for their own profit. Again very clever.

The recent season finale had him freezing himself b/c he couldn't wait for the nintendo wii to come out. He wakes up in the future where different sects of atheists are all fighting over who's 'science' is the best. He uses a 'crank-prank time phone' to call himself in the past to try to warn himself about the freezing (Don't do it, you wake up in the future and it sucks) and his past self refuses to even consider it. His past self calls his future self an a-hole and his future self exclaims, "God i hate that guy...." all the while he completely misses the point that he is himself! Perfect example of how blind psychopaths really are...

All in all they do a great job at pointing out the traditional stupidity that our culture has kept with it.

Tarri said:
But I can't handle the rude, nastiness of it.
I have to agree. I am a virgo and I guess i am just very sensitive about such things! :)

At first I was turned off by the vulgarity of it, but they have some hysterical plots. In terms of political commentary it's right on the mark, if you can get past the style of it (harder for us older folks...). I was working a craft faire the other day, and this very strange person came up and ran a number on my husband. I looked over, and all I could think of was the weirdo cross-dressing teacher on South Park. The guy was a perfect parody. So, that's my new innoculation against ponerization. I just convert the little sociopaths into SP characters...and LMAO.

brutally unrestrained and unpretentious. which meant that they could get away with saying things/making observations/social commentary etc, and then pretend that they hadn't.

haven't seen it for years, but when it first came out, I loved it. not sure what my reaction would be to watch it now, though. its um.. not gentle is it!?

Iconoclast said:
SP is not quite my cup of tea... i'm a Simpsons-man myself.
Heheh, mine neither. I once dreamed that I was Lisa Simpson! 8| I suppose that's better than dreaming that one is Kenny...

Sout Park is one of the very few shows I actually still watch on a regular basis. For some reason it reminds me of a redneck's Monty Python, really over the top but not as intellectual. For a PERFECT example of phsycopathy check out the episode Scott Tenorman Must Die, where Cartman feeds his enemy chili made from his parents.....yah, classic Cartman.

Yes, I think Cartman is basically a representation of the archetypal psychopath.

There are a lot of bits in various South Park episodes which seem to hint at esoteric stuff, but I'm not really sure if it's done on purpose or if it's just a natural byproduct of the "make fun of everything" style..

E.g. check the episode about 9/11... in it, the boys meet a 9/11 truth movement group, who tells them the government was responsible for 9/11. while they are at this group's HQ, a SWAT team bursts in and arrests them all, taking them to the White House... there, GWB explains in detail how the government really was behind the attacks, and then shoots the 9/11 truth guy... the boys escape, but later see the 9/11 truth guy alive and well, and force the story out of him - it turns out that he's an actor, and *the government itself is behind the 9/11 conspiracy theories blaming the government*. So it's basically a description of COINTELPRO.

At the end of the show the reason given for the government pretending they did the attacks is "so that the public will think we are actually powerful and in control", and when one of the boys asks who was really behind it everyone says "a bunch of p#$%ed off muslims, duh" and laughs. These little bits at the end seem to me to be "masks" - like they are there to protect the show and make it seem as if it's all just a big joke - "oh it's harmless really". Of course I don't *know* this, I could just be seeing what I want to see :)

There's another SP episode in which a plague is ravaging America, coinciding with it becoming legal to say "sh$#" on TV. The boys figure out that curse words are just that - words which are cursed - and people saying them en masse brings about the curse, this plague.. It ends with them fighting a *dragon*, who was summoned by the mass saying of the S word.

Don't quite know what to make of lots of it, but there are a lot of little bits in SP that make me sit up and take notice. Maybe the SP writers sit around reading conspiracy forums on the net for story ideas or something :)

[edit]

oops, just noticed Deckard mentioned the 9/11 episode, and a thread about it, in the first post... doh!
I figured it hadn't been mentioned on here before because I couldn't find it with the search function.
*goes off to read the thread about the 9/11 ep*

They also doa good job making fun of global warming alarmists in the episode Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow. Cartman and Kyle crashed a boat into a beaverdam and blew it up. The town below the dam the flooded killing "what we are reporting as billions of people," as the newsreporters put it. The townspeople get all worked up like usual and blame it all on global warming, and decide it is going to strike two days before the day after tommor....wait, that's today!

Ok, this is appropriate for the season
Mr Hankey xmas classics

The school teacher Mr. Garisson (who will later became Mrs. Garisson) sings about Xmas

http__//video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7616882637638238063

Back
Top Bottom