Dexter

fabric

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
With all the discussion on psychopathy I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this television series yet... has anyone seen it??

The series is based on the book "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" (I haven't read the book yet...so it should be interesting to see the differences). So to quickly sum it up: Dexter is a homicidal psychopath who works as a blood splatter analyst at Miami PD. His father (he is dead in the series but makes cameos throughout in Dexter's flashbacks), who works for Miami PD, realized Dexter's psychopathic tendencies at a young age and teaches him his "code" so that he doesn't get caught satisfying his homicidal urges.

Detailed Breakdown Here (some spoilers so don't read too much if you don't wanna know) ;)

The code he teaches him is basically to kill only others who kill and only to kill when he has found solid "proof". Don't kill them until you are SURE, etc.

It's filmed from his point of view (you can listen in to his thoughts) with other subplots weaving in and out, regular series stuff.

What I liked about the show was how the character, Dexter, would paint the landscape of what it was like to live as a psychopath, learning all the rules and how to behave so as fit in normal society. It doesn't come off as pitiful in anyway, but quite detached and emotionless, as if it is interesting to him. There are tons of great little lines, but I can't remember all of them. Here's one from the start of the show:

Dex: My name is Dexter. Dexter Morgan. I don’t know what made me the way I am but whatever it was left a hollow place inside. People fake a lot of human interactions – but I fake them all, and I fake them very well.

Ahoy – ahoy there, Captain. Any big Marlin out there today?

And that’s my burden, but I can’t blame my foster parents for that. Harry and Doris Morgan did a wonderful job raising me. But they're both dead now. I didn’t kill them. Honest.

*Flashback*

Harry: You’re different, aren’t you, Dexter?
Young Dex: What do you mean, Pop?
Harry: The Billups say Buddy disappeared. I found the grave, son.
Young Dex: That dog was a noisy little creep, Dad. He was barking all night and Mom couldn’t sleep and she’s very very sick and that lousy dog was yapping at every leaf that blew down the sidewalk.
Harry: There were a lot of bones in there, Dexter and … not just Buddy’s.

Dex: The code of Harry, my foster father, is satisfied. And so am I. Harry was a great cop here in Miami, taught me how to think like one. Taught me how to cover my tracks. I’m a very neat monster.

Deb on phone: Dexter …. Dexter, you there? Okay, Dex, please soon as you get in – I’m at a crime scene by this shit-hole, the Seven Seas Motel and I need you here. OK Dex? Please, pretty -flicking-g please with cheese on top.

Dex: That’s my marvelous foul-mouthed foster sister, Deborah. She has a big heart but won’t let anyone see it. She’s the only person in the world who loves me. I think that’s nice. I don’t have feelings about anything. But if I could have feelings at all, I’d have them for Deb.

There’s something strange and disarming about looking at a homicide scene in the daylight of Miami. It makes the most grotesque killings look staged – like you’re in a new and daring section of Disney World. Dahmer-Land

So for those who have seen the series, did you think it portrayed what a 'successful' psychopath would be like well (aside from all our real life examples by our 'well to do' politicians)? There were times when I wasn't sure if he was actually one, since he just seemed and acted so 'nice' and human. That is until he caught you and murdered you. What makes this so intriguing is that he is only killing "guilty people". Harry's code of conduct.

What is one to do if you found out that your child was a psychopath that had a hunger for murder? Would it even be possible to teach them any 'code'? Perhaps so, since we have so many in prominent positions of power.

Anyhow, some very interesting tidbits in there... throughout the show you can see lots of examples of 'knowing one another instantly" too.

I give it: :thup: heh heh

The main problem I see with this series is that it glamorizes psychopathy - the psychopath is the star of the show. It also equates psychopaths with serial killers - feeding into the stereotype that has kept humanity in the dark about this intraspecies predator for far too long.

Basically, it not only perpetuates the stereotype of psychopath as serial killer, but it makes the psychopath quite likable - the hero - the star of the show! I can't imagine how such a thing could be positive at all. That's just my take on it, though.

I totally agree. Last year I saw billboards and ads that showed that smirking character with the caption, "America's favorite serial killer." Made me sick.

anart said:
The main problem I see with this series is that it glamorizes psychopathy - the psychopath is the star of the show. It also equates psychopaths with serial killers - feeding into the stereotype that has kept humanity in the dark about this intraspecies predator for far too long.

Basically, it not only perpetuates the stereotype of psychopath as serial killer, but it makes the psychopath quite likable - the hero - the star of the show! I can't imagine how such a thing could be positive at all. That's just my take on it, though.

I agree that it is really twisted that they glam the idea of seriel killers ~ but i must also admit that this movie made me look at everyone in my office and at home and all my friends a little differently! i mean - he seems so NICE to his sister and his girlfriend and they have NO CLUE!
So apart from the glam side...it does make you think a bit more about those around you and what are they actually hiding!

I watched the first serie to know what it was all about.

This portray a psychopathic character with a twist because they imbue him with some form of morality that will be accepted by the masses :

He kills bad guys, he kinda care for his sister and during flashbacks to his teenage years, the show makes him look like a victim if his condition.

I sometimes found myself nearly forgetting that he was a psychopath during the show !!
So think about when you don't know anything about psychopathy but only through what the medias fed you.

My two cents.

Alexandra Drake said:
it does make you think a bit more about those around you and what are they actually hiding!

And that's where they win again because you will probably be suspicious of everyone except the very good psychopath who will manage to break your defences, gain your trust and manipulate you.
Unless you know about the true face of psychopathy because through the lens of "Dexter" I don't think it will give you enough knowldege to be on your guard osit.

anart said:

My Hubby liked the series until I pointed out the problems/issues. Once it was brought to his attention, he could see where the writers spun the character to make it likable, but just as unrealistic as Superman from Krypton. I watched a few episodes and liked one or two, but it was just as kooky to me as CSI Miami, or '24'. (Can't stand either one of those btw).

At least with netflix, if we don't like something we can quit watching/ordering it. ;)

Tigersoap said:
And that's where they win again because you will probably be suspicious of everyone except the very good psychopath who will manage to break your defences, gain your trust and manipulate you.
Unless you know about the true face of psychopathy because through the lens of "Dexter" I don't think it will give you enough knowldege to be on your guard osit.

Yes, a crucial point to make.

I think the show has some major strengths and weaknesses. Generally, it is a very good portrayal of "successful" psychopathy. It's a good portrayal of a person wearing a nearly perfect mask of sanity. He is likable, charming, stable, adjusted, etc., just like a good psychopath. Some of the writers obviously know something about psychopathy, some not so much. The main flaw in the show is that at points it seems that the writers are suggesting that Dexter actually does have feelings, and that his condition is a result of his childhood.

Of course, if we were to examine Dexter as a real case study, this wouldn't necessarily be the case. In fact, perhaps it is childhood trauma that "hardens" the psychopath's personality structure with certain tendencies that wouldn't necessarily be present without the trauma, e.g. producing various kinds of sexual psychopaths who have a very particular obsession. This would apply to serial killers, who seem to all have a history of extreme abuse (again, this could just be their own pity-ploys, but many have verified backgrounds as such).

Anyways, back to the show, another observation is that Dexter is not the only psychopath in the show. There are a lot more than you think, and not all of them are killers. Also, the show itself comments on the glorifying of Dexter's psychopathy. Just like in The Dark Knight, you view the public's reaction to a serial killer who kills only bad guys, and the response varies. Some think he's doing a great job and should be rewarded, others don't. The people who say "he makes us safe", and those who think he is a monster. Dexter knows that what he does is simply the best way to avoid getting caught, and thus killed. There's no morality behind it, but he has no problem letting people think that. Really it's just the "ritual" he's developed not to get caught, and he feeds on the attention of people who think he's a hero, as it inflates his own ego. Without his father's "training", he would have been the failed, antisocial PD type psychopath.

It's an entertaining show, especially if you know something about psychopathy and can see all the traits and techniques used. But it won't teach those who don't already know.

My husband received the box set of the first season of Dexter as a Christmas present (?!). And this is amazing that this showed up here in the forum yesterday, because I was just about to post regarding it, since we just finished watching it.

I found the series to be pretty creepy and disgusting. It seemed that the writers were trying to glorify his psychopathic tendencies--killing ritualistically only those who "deserve" it.

(SPOILER Alert) The ending of the season really bothered me because the writers seem to be confused about the nature of pure psychopathy, as in genetics versus environment. They tie this all up with the mystery of Dexter's childhood being revealed and pointing to this horrible experience that the kid went through as the reason he is a psychopath. Dexter even seems to begin to have some breakthroughs with being able to feel some emotion as he uncovers it all.

The ending scene shows him fantasizing about some sort of hero's parade where he is honored for all the good he has done for society.

anart said:
The main problem I see with this series is that it glamorizes psychopathy - the psychopath is the star of the show.

It seems this has been a trend in media for quite some time. After the cinema now it is becoming common on TV.
Fresh example is Dr.House, not a serial killer like Dexter but definitely a psychopath.

Back
Top Bottom