Detoxify or Die Cookbook

This whole weight/detox thing has been on my mind to ask about. I'm roughly 190cm (6ft3) and did weight about 72kg (11stone and a bit).
Since cutting out gluten and dairy, and having the detox shake (plus a few weeks of stress) I've slowly gone down to 64kg.
Energy wise I'm ok....as long as I don't have to do anything physical. At 72kg I had way more energy in general....I also didn't look like a skeleton.

So I guess I'm asking for help.

I did have my weight drop to this point at least twice in the past after university....I think my weight dropped down to this level a few times at university too. The two I know for sure, the first time I went to see a doctor....he just suggested eating more, and said it can happen if you've been to university. :huh:
So I ate more....but had no appetite for eating more. Gained a kg or three at most.

The other time my weight dropped this low was trying an anti-candida diet....which went well but I think I over did it. Either way I was feeling great until my weight dropped off quickly......
I reintroduced gluten and dairy and put weight on and felt better than before the diet but quite fatigued again....

So cutting out gluten and dairy and doing the detox shake....I've felt great...but like the anti-candida diet it seems my weight is just too low now.....

I really want to start the elimination diet so I can rule out other things that are causing inflammation, but am quite worried about loosing any more weight.

Any suggestions welcome (can list all I eat on average if you want).

RedFox said:
I really want to start the elimination diet so I can rule out other things that are causing inflammation, but am quite worried about loosing any more weight.

You can use the elimination diet only as a rough guide, modifying the quantities of everything so that you never go hungry and eat also more often. You can have more portions of meat and include turkey and lamb. So you can have stew and have always whole rice available. Steamed sweet potatoes are also very filling. We sometimes fried them on lard, and it is really delicious. You can also have your shake more often during the day as a snack.

People that are very skinny may also have problems of absorbing nutrients (for example, due to a leaky gut which can cause malabsorption problems), so supplementing with nutrients is also a good idea. At least a good multivitamin/mineral, omega 3s, digestive enzymes (very important), magnesium, vitamin C, and the amino acids of the rice protein. L-glutamine at the dose of 5000mg, also helps healing your gut, if you can get it in powder form, you can add it to your shake.

You can also prepare buckwheat pancakes to have with all your meals. Also, you can add olive oil to your veggies or salads. Just a few ideas and thoughts. Perhaps others have more ideas.

RedFox said:

Have you ever thought of working out, lifting weights, etc.? Not only does it keep your body in good physical shape, but also adding muscle helps to add weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so after a short duration of working out you should be able to notice an increase in your weight.

Heimdallr said:
RedFox said:

Have you ever thought of working out, lifting weights, etc.? Not only does it keep your body in good physical shape, but also adding muscle helps to add weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so after a short duration of working out you should be able to notice an increase in your weight.
This is good advice. I am a similar height to yourself RedFox but about a stone heaver. I too did lose weight when I started the detox. This lasted for a few months and then I started to regain weight and also started working out. Eating large portions of veggies, brown rice and meat/fish works well, as does adding rice protein in shakes for breakfast and after exercise. After a breakfast shake you can add a couple of boiled eggs and snack on nuts during the day. I really do feel better from bulking up a bit. Difficult to get into the routine at first but when you start to see results then it is motivating.

I don't actually weigh myself and find it healthier to focus on the foods I'm eating and fitting in regular gym sessions.

Just wanted to say thanks for your input (I neglected to say so having been away over Christmas). I've taken it all on board and have noticed a slight improvement (at least I'm no longer loosing weight) :)

Pob said:
I don't actually weigh myself and find it healthier to focus on the foods I'm eating and fitting in regular gym sessions.
At the time I wasn't interested in weighing myself until my girlfriend (She said she could see my ribs) and parents mentioned I looked really thin....I generally don't pay much attention to how I look....I did look a bit anorexic (sunken cheeks and ribs showing), hence my concern (it took me a while to take others concern on board though).

Will see how things go from here (have yet to add workouts) and let you all know what I find. Thanks :)

Thank you Laura for valuable information. I would like to ask some questions related to detox and candida diet menu:

1. If red Rice is OK to consume (I know Brown and Wild-black rice is OK)?
2. Is it OK to eat salted fish every 2 weeks (minor amounts just to spice a bit cooked vegetables, or do we have to stop completely with it?
3. Drinking green tea (one cup a day) to assist me with candida fight, if this is OK?
4. After 6 months of strict candida diet could we start with frosen berries shakes, steamed potatoes and butter?

Thanks in advance.

jubazo said:
1. If red Rice is OK to consume (I know Brown and Wild-black rice is OK)?
2. Is it OK to eat salted fish every 2 weeks (minor amounts just to spice a bit cooked vegetables, or do we have to stop completely with it?
3. Drinking green tea (one cup a day) to assist me with candida fight, if this is OK?
4. After 6 months of strict candida diet could we start with frosen berries shakes, steamed potatoes and butter?

Thanks in advance.

If you mean Camargue red rice, it should be okay as long as it is the whole grain rice. As far as I know it is relatively new, so I think it is better to have more of what is known, brown rice, but that is just my personal choice. For candida diet purposes, rice should be limited, say 1 cup every day or every other day. Some people suggest that no rice should be taken during the first 2 weeks of the anti candida diet.

You might want to stick to small fish sizes (like sardines) to minimize mercury toxicity.

Green tea is okay and in order to re-introduce potatoes and butter, you'll have to make sure you tolerate them (that you are not sensitive to them). For anti-candida purposes, butter is okay. A lot of anti-candida diets are okay with berries as well.

My 2 cents.

Hi Psyche,

That will help us a lot, related to butter, I'm lactose intolerant (especially on warm milk of any kind) but as much I noticed no problem with small portions of butter with green peas or rice.

Oh small portions of fish......., OK we'll reduce it.

jubazo said:
Hi Psyche,

That will help us a lot, related to butter, I'm lactose intolerant (especially on warm milk of any kind) but as much I noticed no problem with small portions of butter with green peas or rice.

Oh small portions of fish......., OK we'll reduce it.

If you have problems with butter, why don't you try ghee instead? It is clarified butter. All of the milk solids are left in the bottom of the pan and most people who cannot tolerate dairy products can eat ghee with no problem. You'll have to try it to find out how it affects you.

Good luck.

Hi Nienna Eluch,

If you have problems with butter, why don't you try ghee instead? It is clarified butter. All of the milk solids are left in the bottom of the pan and most people who cannot tolerate dairy products can eat ghee with no problem. You'll have to try it to find out how it affects you.

Good luck.

Yes I'll do it, seems pretty easy to make it.

Laura said:
Soak your rice and other grains overnight before cooking.

Soak dried beans overnight with teaspoon of baking soda then discard water and wash again before cooking.

hmmm... we haven't been soaking the long grain brown rice and have been using organic beans out of a can. I'm trying to learn to cook some stuff to help my wife but I'm almost at a total brain lock in the kitchen without explicit instructions :)

So, some questions on the above quoted topics:

Does it matter how much water is used to soak the brown rice?
Do you wash the rice before soaking?
Soaking removes the lectins in rice from what I read, correct?
After soaking the rice, do I them drain it and add back the amount of water it says on the package?

With beans, does it matter how much water you soak them with?
With beans, does it matter how much water you cook them with?
Does soaking beans remove lectin, too?
Do you wash them first before soaking? I would think so.

Thanks!

I've had a chance to research some of this so I'll post answers to my own questions in case anyone else is a total detail noob like me :)

gaman said:
hmmm... we haven't been soaking the long grain brown rice and have been using organic beans out of a can. I'm trying to learn to cook some stuff to help my wife but I'm almost at a total brain lock in the kitchen without explicit instructions :)
Just because the stuff in the can is organic, it doesn't mean that it doesn't contain BPA. Most cans for canned foods are still lined with a coating that contains BPA. Here is one brand of canned foods that doesn't have BPA: Eden Foods. That link is to a page describing their can linings.

Does it matter how much water is used to soak the brown rice?
It seems like it matters based on the instructions I've found. It looks like a 1:1 ratio of clean water (RO/distilled) to rice by volume. i.e. 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water. Some very clear directions I found suggests covering them or putting them in a jar with a lid to soak.
Do you wash the rice before soaking?
Yep, and after soaking, too.
Soaking removes the lectins in rice from what I read, correct?
Apparently it can remove at least some of them. Read the link later on for more information.
After soaking the rice, do I them drain it and add back the amount of water it says on the package?
What I found was to use 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. (ref http://www.vegancoach.com/boiled-brown-rice.html)

With beans, does it matter how much water you soak them with?
Nah, doesn't seem to and the water will be poured off before cooking. Per earlier suggestions here I'm adding 1/2 tsp baking soda to the water soak.
With beans, does it matter how much water you cook them with?
Not that I can find.
Does soaking beans remove lectin, too?
Apparently it can remove at least some of them. Read the link later on for more information.
Do you wash them first before soaking? I would think so.
Yes, and wash them again after posting.

I won't post detail information from THE LECTIN STORY here because of the restriction at the top of the page but this report gives a lot of good information. Here is the head of the page:

[quote author=Krispin Sullivan]
Please do not copy or give this paper to others. This paper is protected by copyright laws. Use the information for your own benefit and share this link with friends.
THE LECTIN REPORT

Krispin Sullivan, CN 02/16/10

While research in lectinology is in its infancy this information is critical to your health and it is important to begin to understand lectins NOW. Read the following report carefully. I'll get specific about how this all applies to you. ALL foods contain lectins. Some are your friends, others neutral, and others may be your enemies. Know your lectins. Avoid your enemies.

* Lectins in plain English, do lectins cause disease?
* What makes someone lectin intolerant?
* What do lectins have to do with me?
* How can I tell if I am lectin intolerant?
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom