Detox friendly turkey stuffing

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I'm looking for a recipe for a turkey stuffing that is in accords with the detox diet. Their are a lot of recipes online that are gluten free, but also have other evil ingredients. I've never really made my own stuffing before and my previous experience with having it means it always included bread crumbs. I want to substitute brown rice for that but have never done that before and was wondering if anyone had any experience making a detox friendly stuffing. I want to cook it in the turkey, not in a separate casserole dish too.

Heimdallr said:
I'm looking for a recipe for a turkey stuffing that is in accords with the detox diet. Their are a lot of recipes online that are gluten free, but also have other evil ingredients. I've never really made my own stuffing before and my previous experience with having it means it always included bread crumbs. I want to substitute brown rice for that but have never done that before and was wondering if anyone had any experience making a detox friendly stuffing. I want to cook it in the turkey, not in a separate casserole dish too.

You'd need some gluten free breadcrumbs which gives it volume, lots of some sort of fat (like ghee or lard) which gives it texture, rice milk to add a bit of moisture and an egg substitute such as milled flax seed to "bind" it so it doesn't crumble apart. Flavour it with chopped onion, fresh thyme , fresh hazelnuts or almonds, pepper and salt. Fresh smoked homemade bacon and fresh cranberries if possible.

Put a couple of handfuls the breadcrumbs in a bowl, rub in a good portion of ghee and add the egg substitute (about the equivalent of two eggs). You want the mixture "doughy". If it's too dry add some more ghee or some rice milk if it's too wet add some more breadcrumbs. Add the fresh thyme, hazelnuts, almonds, bacon and onions.

I'm not sure what quantities to put so go for a bit extra, if there's any left over you can bake it in foil. If you bake it in foil you'll only have to cook it for about 1/2 an hour as it will be hotter than cooking inside the bird.

I pretty much used the above recipe, except I had to use eggs as I didn't have any substitute available on the day.

I made a similar stuffing (for a large chicken, used different herbs (parsley and sage) and nuts (pine and chestnut), a pinch of nutmeg, and chopped onions) over the holiday period, and without the pepper or bacon. It stuffed the chicken, made stuffing for the plate (as you suggest, bake in foil), and with a lot of added milk, a bread sauce for the vegetables. The bread came from a soda bread that I made (not very well!). The mix you are suggesting Johnno works well - I too used a little beaten egg for the stuffing.

Back
Top Bottom