Descriptions of the "afterlife"/5th Density

From what I have read about this so far (the book Suicide and the Afterlife - sorry, this is not the exact title, just paraphrased - is still on my to-read-list), suicide is in most instances - but not all - ‘frowned’ upon in the afterlife. The way I see it is that the person wastes a good opportunity to further it’s own advancement.

Also I don’t think that it is only for the “Universe to decide when to recall the soul”. There is free will. While the ‘prospective life’ is designed in broad strokes in the pre-life planning phase, there is a big element of free will about what to do once living the life - otherwise, what would be the point if all was predetermined?

What you wrote above reminded me of a video I watched several months ago on this topic:

Thank you very much for this. The part from 19:00 made me wonder about myself. A lot of food for thoughts.

I went back and checked and I remember the part which started at that point you mentioned stood out to me the most the first time I watched the video. It is the part where he discusses the concept or idea that we pre-chart our life with the help of 'guides' and/or our soul group, and so recognize the potentials that exist before we come here.

I'm currently reading Malachi Martin's Hostage to the Devil and in a chapter titled Uncle Ponto and the Mushroom Souper the author described an exorcism during which the evil spirit being exorcised mentioned a protective intervention by the victim's grandfather. Interestingly enough, the victim never met him becuase the grandfather died before he was born.

The case of possession is an extreme one but it looks like our ancestors are able to provide quite real protection if needed.

I'd like to share some relevant quotes and in order to make the text easier to understand for those who haven't read the book I'll add some explanation:
- The name of the possessed was Jamsie and ever since he was little he kept seeing a face with a "funny look". At times faces of his family members would have that "funny look", at other times he saw it in the faces of strangers.
- When the spirit that harassed Jamsie became unbearable it nearly drove Jamsie to suicide, but before committing the final act Jamsie saw a strange looking Shadow that prevented him from taking that step.
- Ara is Jamsie's father.

Now and then, as he sat beside Ara in the cab, Jamsie was struck by some trait in his father’s face. Once, while he sat in the cab late at night and his father was chatting on the curb with a pimp and two of his girls, Jamsie thought he saw that trait on all four faces as they laughed together as at some joke. The “look” did not frighten him, but it repelled him. At the same time he was fascinated by it. As time went on, he deliberately looked for it.

(...) Two related incidents that happened in 1938 stand out in Jamsie’s memory. With his father and some friends he had gone to see the Brooklyn Dodgers play. It was at a moment toward the end of the game when all the fans were on their feet cheering Cincinnati’s Johnny Vander Meer, who was making baseball history by pitching his second successive no-hit, no-run game. Shouting and cheering like everyone else, Jamsie looked around at the excited crowds. And from deep in the middle of the faces there leaped out at him that “funny-lookin’ face.” It was looking at him. It knew him, he thought. He froze into silence and looked away in panic. Then he glanced back at the spot where he had seen it, but it was gone.

(...) Exactly one week later Jamsie was sitting with Ara in the cab late one night listening to the Louis-Schmelling fight. As the fight reached its climax, Ara’s face became more and more contorted. In the last few moments leading up to Joe Louis’ victory, Jamsie saw on his father’s face a very intense look which was quickly developing into that “funny look.” There was, again, something unhuman about it; and he could not catch sight of any trait which he had always associated with his father’s beloved face. With each of Louis’ blows to Schmelling, and as the voice of the announcer got higher and more excited, the “look” became more apparent on Ara’s face. With the gong and Louis’ victory, the tension broke. The strange look passed quickly, and Ara became normal and composed again.

(...) As time passed, his fear of the “look” began to lessen, but his curiosity was greater. What was that “look”? And how was it that he had seen it at the ball game and then again on his own father’s face, blotting out the kindness and love Jamsie had known there all his life up to that point? And what connection was there between all that and the “look” or “funny-lookin’ face” he used to see as a child?

(...) At the same time, Jamsie was also engaged in a search of a very different kind. Once he set foot in New York again, he caught glimpses of that “look”—in the subway, from the middle of crowds, aloft among the neon signs, in movie houses, and sometimes late at night, before he went to bed and when he stood looking out the window at the lights of Manhattan. And he now felt something else that was new and, in its own way, reassuring: a violent and unconquerable persuasion that he had always known what “it” was, who “it” was. His old fright was transformed into an insatiable urge to remember. If he could only remember what “it” was.

Father Mark, the exorcist, asked the evil spirit about that "funny looking" face during the exorcism and the response was that it was Jamsie's grandfather's effort to warn Jamsie of the danger. The possessing spirit also said that the grandfather was given the role of Jamsie's protector by a being the evil spirit despised. Since this is a Catholic ritual I presume the evil spirit was referring to Jesus.

Unfortunately, the author doesn't explain why Jamsie had the feeling he had always known what the "funny look" was. As the below quotes explain, the evil spirit confessed Jamsie was selected for possession before he was born so maybe this was a memory of the soul that had been warned by the grandfather before incarnating?

Mark fired out a series of questions.
“When did you start working on Jamsie?”
“He was chosen before he was born.”
“When did he know you were after him?”
“He knew long before he knew he knew.”
“How did you gain entry to him?”
“He wanted it. Those who might have taught him otherwise, we corrupted. But he chose to be entered. Only one opposed us.”
“Who?”
“He never knew him.”
“Who?”
“His father’s father. He was given that role by…
” The voice wailed away in the same regretful note of sorrow.
“By whom?” Mark insisted. No answer.
“By whom?” Mark repeated the question, and added: “Or shall I tell you by whom?”
“By that Person who is beyond notice by us. By the Claimer of all adoration. By the one who never received and will never receive our adoration…”
“Did you make Jamsie see the ‘funny-lookin’ face’?”
“No. His protector. We would never frighten him away. We are more powerful than that. It was his protector trying to warn him.”

“Your funny-looking face: what was the purpose of that?”
“The funny-looking face was not our doing. We do not frighten those we prospect.”
“What result was effected by showing Jamsie that face?”
“By it, his protector wished to acquaint him with the face all take on who belong to us…”

(...) "Was it the face that stopped Jamsie from suicide? Answer it!”
“Yes. Ye-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-es. (...) It was that face. We are always present when inferiors are about to make a killing.”
“So every time you were present, Jamsie’s protector endeavored to let him see that face?”
There was no answer to this. Mark went to another point. “Why did you allow Jamsie to see the…the…the Shadow?”
(...) “We did not. (...)” The word was a thump of sorrow and regret and dreadful aching.

Mark (...) went on, pressing his questions, still holding the crucifix high.
“Why did a common look exist between the Shadow and Uncle Ponto and Jay Beedem and the pimp and many others; why did a common look exist? (...) Is this another part of your evil stupidity?”
“Beyond our control.
(...) We also…must submit…in material things, we…also bound…Person beneath contempt holds…holds…holds…holds…” (...)

(...) “What do you place in those human beings so that they get that look?” And the voice came rasping out in a slow, steady tone:
“Obedience to the Kingdom. They give their will. We fill the soul. What’s inside peers out willy-nilly…”

It's a speculation on my part but as mentioned earlier in the thread, serving others is a way to progress in the afterlife so asking our ancestors for protection may be giving them an opportunity to develop. The signs of evil interference that Jamie received ware quite drastic, but so were the circumstances that he was in. I wonder if some of us do get little signs or pointers from those on the other side that we often ignore?

I'm currently reading Malachi Martin's Hostage to the Devil and in a chapter titled Uncle Ponto and the Mushroom Souper the author described an exorcism during which the evil spirit being exorcised mentioned a protective intervention by the victim's grandfather. Interestingly enough, the victim never met him becuase the grandfather died before he was born.

The case of possession is an extreme one but it looks like our ancestors are able to provide quite real protection if needed.

I'd like to share some relevant quotes and in order to make the text easier to understand for those who haven't read the book I'll add some explanation:
- The name of the possessed was Jamsie and ever since he was little he kept seeing a face with a "funny look". At times faces of his family members would have that "funny look", at other times he saw it in the faces of strangers.
- When the spirit that harassed Jamsie became unbearable it nearly drove Jamsie to suicide, but before committing the final act Jamsie saw a strange looking Shadow that prevented him from taking that step.
- Ara is Jamsie's father.

Father Mark, the exorcist, asked the evil spirit about that "funny looking" face during the exorcism and the response was that it was Jamsie's grandfather's effort to warn Jamsie of the danger. The possessing spirit also said that the grandfather was given the role of Jamsie's protector by a being the evil spirit despised. Since this is a Catholic ritual I presume the evil spirit was referring to Jesus.

Unfortunately, the author doesn't explain why Jamsie had the feeling he had always known what the "funny look" was. As the below quotes explain, the evil spirit confessed Jamsie was selected for possession before he was born so maybe this was a memory of the soul that had been warned by the grandfather before incarnating?

It's a speculation on my part but as mentioned earlier in the thread, serving others is a way to progress in the afterlife so asking our ancestors for protection may be giving them an opportunity to develop. The signs of evil interference that Jamie received ware quite drastic, but so were the circumstances that he was in. I wonder if some of us do get little signs or pointers from those on the other side that we often ignore?

I'm thinking of what we refer as coincidences and for people who are very sensitive dreams. Perhaps, they're truly little nudge from the other side to avoid difficult situations or danger to ourselves or whatever. The problem is that how would you interpret those?

I've read articles like that before. Two, three years ago, I found them interesting and beneficial. But right now, considering how the world is going and the future of humanity, I cannot help feeling like it's kind of a swindle. I'm not saying that if I knew someone suicidal I wouldn't encourage them to stay alive and have a silver lining. However, it's like ok, right now it's not so bad. But next year things are likely going to get dramatically worse and it only goes downhill from there. In ten years, the world could become unrecognisable. Yeah, everything is lesson, so by staying alive the suicidal person get to learn their lessons, but really, there isn't any future.

Also, if there's nothing miraculous about escaping death, there probably isn't something miraculous about living either. Life is just what it is, but there's nothing to it. The only con to suicide is that it's up to the Universe to decide when to recall the soul, not man. Also, from what I found on the forum, suicide sorts of bring bad karma.

Maybe it depends on the situation, sometimes as mentioned above when there is no normal functioning future, surviving in such an enviroment will be only about survival and thus this also would bring karma....like said there are many things that can reorient persons life in many directions because of free will and basicaly no rules....it is easy to see after that in afterlife and be nitty gritty with all the knowledge and knowing available but being here is altogether different game.

Maybe it depends on the situation, sometimes as mentioned above when there is no normal functioning future, surviving in such an enviroment will be only about survival and thus this also would bring karma....like said there are many things that can reorient persons life in many directions because of free will and basicaly no rules....it is easy to see after that in afterlife and be nitty gritty with all the knowledge and knowing available but being here is altogether different game.

I think that may be a good way to think about it @Corvus .

The Cs said there are many circumstances to consider.

Session 7 November 1994:
Q: (L) What happens to people who commit suicide?

A: Varies according to circumstance.

Q: (L) In a general sense, is there some negative karma involved in committing suicide?

A: There can be negative karma involved with many things.

Q: (L) What about the death penalty?

A: Specify.

Q: (L) Is putting a criminal to death the equivalent of reducing society to the level of the criminal?

A: You are all put to death.

Q: (L) What do you mean?

A: In one way or another.

Q: (L) Well, is there any negative karma on society, the judge, the jury, the executioner, if a criminal is brought to trial, found guilty of a heinous crime and then put to death?

A: What about war? What is better? This is open because all are murderers and suicides. It is the supreme lesson you all must learn before you can graduate to ethereal existence. Your thinking is too simplified.

Q: (L) Is there ever a situation where execution helps relieve the criminal of some of his karma that may be caused by the commission of the crime for which he is being executed?

A: No.

Q: (L) Is it better to take a criminal, such as Dahmer, and have all of society support and take care of him?

A: These are all past issues. Will be resolved soon.

Q: (L) Are there any other physical creatures on planet earth which have souls?

A: All do.

Q: (L) Is the human soul different from, say, animal souls?

A: Of course.

Q: (L) Are there any other physical creatures on the earth which have souls like human souls? On the same level, so to speak?

A: No.

Q: (L) Well, I have heard that dolphins, porpoises and whales have very advanced souls. Is that true?

A: All souls are advanced.

Q: (L) But are whales sentient, thinking, self-aware as humans are?

A: Apples and oranges.

Q: (L) Well, since whales are so big, do they have bigger souls?

A: Irrelevant.

Q: (L) Is there some way to communicate with whales or dolphins and can one find a way to translate the differences and have a reasonable, intelligent exchange with a whale or a dolphin or even an elephant?

A: You don't need conversation "with" when a higher telepathic level.

Q: (L) Dolphins and whales communicate telepathically?

A: Yes. So do dogs and cats and snakes etc. etc. only humans have learned the "superior" art of verbal communication.

Q: (L) But, at the same time, verbal communication can be quite limiting, is that correct?

A: That is the point.

Q: (L) So, you were being sarcastic with me, weren't you?

A: Humorous.

I thought the following video was very interesting. It's great to see these researchers work on topics such as reincarnation, near death experiences, and the like, and I can't imagine how difficult it must be to get funding for these projects, as one of the researchers said: 95% or so of mainstream science discards parapsychological research. The data they are collecting is fascinating. The guy who studies reincarnation cases said that he thinks only a minority reincarnates because of unfinished business, but I think that most of us do reincarnate, but that a minority perhaps can recall past life memories due to various factors. An interesting thing he said was that some birth marks may indicate the entrance and exit wounds of a bullet wound in a past life (if not processed).

And there was this interesting bit on people with dementia: One of the researchers recalled how some patients with dementia, right before they passed away, could speak perfectly and could recall any details and have a normal talk with their loved ones. One person hypothesized that as the brain was shutting down, the spirit/mind manages to come through one last time to say goodbye, or something along those lines.

And there was this interesting bit on people with dementia: One of the researchers recalled how some patients with dementia, right before they passed away, could speak perfectly and could recall any details and have a normal talk with their loved ones. One person hypothesized that as the brain was shutting down, the spirit/mind manages to come through one last time to say goodbye, or something along those lines.
Gaby mentioned it and I thought it was really interesting.
Stafford Betty talks about "Terminal Lucidity" in Chapter 9. It's basically when people who have no way to speak or think due to a severe loss of brain function (i.e. advanced Alzheimer's disease) suddenly recover their cognitive abilities and say good to bye to loved ones. Shortly afterwards, they die.
Confirmed and explained by the Cs.
Q: (Gaby) So then how is there terminal lucidity when the brain is not working anymore? Like when a person is dying and they have brain damage, but then they wake up and say goodbye as if nothing is wrong right before they die?

A: When the soul or life force is in the process of separating, it is in a position to escape the restrictions of damaged physiology.

Q: (Joe) Pierre asked about that in a previous session not too long ago. How people have a burst of energy before they die...

(L) What did they say?

(Joe) Pierre threw out the idea and they agreed. Something about information. Do you remember?

(Pierre) Yeah...

(L) Here I think they're saying that when it releases, it can override the restrictions. In fact, probably what the person is experiencing is NOT a revival of the brain, but the manifestation of...

(Joe) There are some crazy examples of that. People who are old and ill and didn't speak for a period of time before they died. And then suddenly they woke up and spoke. But there are other cases of young people who died relatively young who'd never spoken a word in their lives who are more or less in a coma or severely handicapped. They never spoke a coherent word, and then just before they die they speak for the first time in their lives in full, proper language that they never used from the day they were born.

(Pierre) The human being is the marriage of the soul and the physical. Especially people dying, the physiology is impaired. But they're married together, so the physical restricts the soul. But just before death, the soul gets freed from the body. It's not restricted anymore.

(L) And it can turn around and control the body that it wasn't able to do before because it was so tied to it, embedded in it, so to say.

(Pierre) So when you hear someone saying unexpected words, it's not a revival of the body or brain. It's the death of the body and the free soul that finally expresses itself.

(L) And still using the instrument in the same way that, say, mediums do. Only you're using your own body in the way a spirit would use it.

(Joe) While that person was in the body, their brain might have been damaged where they couldn't speak at all.

(L) It's mediumistic use of your own body.

(Andromeda) You're self-possessed! [laughter]

(Pierre) It's a shift from symbiosis of soul and body to channeling.

(L) You're channeling your own soul.

(Chu) It's also more proof that the brain is just an antenna. If you can produce actual speech and your brain is damaged?

(L) It's not all there is. There's something else happening.

(Chu) And the brain is not essential for stuff like speech.

A: You are all on a good way to exploring with faith.

Thank you for posting that, hlat! You know, a former colleague once told me that she didn't recognize her mother anymore (severe dementia) and already said her goodbyes (even though she was still alive). But if I'm understanding the session correctly, the soul is still there, but "embedded" in the body as Laura said. It is near the passing of the body that the soul has a window to come through. Which means that while the personality (and memories) that we're used to fades in a loved one suffering from dementia, it doesn't mean the person we are familiar with isn't there anymore!

I'd read a book some time ago written by a woman about her father who got dementia, and how there were short moments where he 'returned' to normal, very short moments, and I wonder if that may be an indication that the soul of the person with dementia hasn't left, it's still there.

On the topic of mediums, perhaps the following info will be interesting to some. So, over the years, I'd watch a clip from a medium here and there, and based on what I've seen, two mediums who I think seem legit are John Edward and Matt Fraser. They both say they can communicate with those who passed over. They both say they receive information in the way of symbols, and images (sometimes hearing words or phrases). Matt Fraser appears a bit more receptive (I think) as he claims he can sometimes see those who passed.

Either way, their way of communication with those who've passed sounds very interesting, and it may be a form of telepathic communication. It is also interesting that while John thinks there is reincarnation, Matt thinks the afterlife is heaven. Even though they both have a similar ability, they both see the afterlife a little bit differently. Interesting is that Matt describes the afterlife as a big family gathering. When people are about to pass, they see their family members, sometimes people they've never met (such as a great grandfather). I've never met my grandmother, but my mom told me that when she was dying, she told my mother that she saw a bus arriving with all her relatives in it, who were waving at her and welcoming her. Does sound like a family gathering!

Both mediums also sometimes see/sense animals, such as horses, dogs, and cats (connected to certain people; depending on the strength of their bond).

They say we can still talk to our relatives who have passed away, and that in some cases they can communicate with us via our dreams. Matt once mentioned that the personality of someone who's passed remains the same. If they're very teasy here, they can still be in the afterlife!

On the topic of suicide, which was briefly discussed in this thread, here's what John said: "After 28 years of doing this, I will tell people all the time, suicide is never the answer, and the reason why suicide is never the answer, is very simple: We end our opportunity of learning and evolving here, and it just gets harder when we're there, so we don't escape anything. So, I tell people: Hang on, and do what you have to do."

Of course, especially John, gets criticism with some people saying he's a fraud, but considering information from the C's regarding 5th density (and reincarnation) and this thread, I'd say he's pretty legit, but I could be wrong of course. Matt is pretty young and he's a fast talker, information just comes out of him, I think it's pretty fascinating. Again, I could be wrong about both of them!

Perhaps also interesting: I had a conversation with a lady who gave me a skin treatment several months ago. We at some point arrived at the topic of spirits, and she said that after her grandfather died, light bulbs in her apartment would go out, they'd break and she kept having to replace them. Someone told her it was likely her grandfather. When she realized that, the light bulb thingy stopped. I wonder if this was an attempt by her grandfather to let her know that he's still around.

Maybe the following is also worth sharing. A story shared by my colleague: Her grandmother loved pinching people, it was her way of showing affection, in a teasy way. The night after her grandmother passed, my colleague told me she felt someone pinching her in her arm and it woke her up. In the morning she told her mom about her experience, and her mom said she experienced the exact same thing! We both thought it was interesting.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that, hlat! You know, a former colleague once told me that she didn't recognize her mother anymore (severe dementia) and already said her goodbyes (even though she was still alive). But if I'm understanding the session correctly, the soul is still there, but "embedded" in the body as Laura said. It is near the passing of the body that the soul has a window to come through. Which means that while the personality (and memories) that we're used to fades in a loved one suffering from dementia, it doesn't mean the person we are familiar with isn't there anymore!

I'd read a book some time ago written by a woman about her father who got dementia, and how there were short moments where he 'returned' to normal, very short moments, and I wonder if that may be an indication that the soul of the person with dementia hasn't left, it's still there.

On the topic of mediums, perhaps the following info will be interesting to some. So, over the years, I'd watch a clip from a medium here and there, and based on what I've seen, two mediums who I think seem legit are John Edward and Matt Fraser. They both say they can communicate with those who passed over. They both say they receive information in the way of symbols, and images (sometimes hearing words or phrases). Matt Fraser appears a bit more receptive (I think) as he claims he can sometimes see those who passed.

Either way, their way of communication with those who've passed sounds very interesting, and it may be a form of telepathic communication. It is also interesting that while John thinks there is reincarnation, Matt thinks the afterlife is heaven. Even though they both have a similar ability, they both see the afterlife a little bit differently. Interesting is that Matt describes the afterlife as a big family gathering. When people are about to pass, they see their family members, sometimes people they've never met (such as a great grandfather). I've never met my grandmother, but my mom told me that when she was dying, she told my mother that she saw a bus arriving with all her relatives in it, who were waving at her and welcoming her. Does sound like a family gathering!

Both mediums also sometimes see/sense animals, such as horses, dogs, and cats (connected to certain people; depending on the strength of their bond).

They say we can still talk to our relatives who have passed away, and that in some cases they can communicate with us via our dreams. Matt once mentioned that the personality of someone who's passed remains the same. If they're very teasy here, they can still be in the afterlife!

On the topic of suicide, which was briefly discussed in this thread, here's what John said: "After 28 years of doing this, I will tell people all the time, suicide is never the answer, and the reason why suicide is never the answer, is very simple: We end our opportunity of learning and evolving here, and it just gets harder when we're there, so we don't escape anything. So, I tell people: Hang on, and do what you have to do."

Of course, especially John, gets criticism with some people saying he's a fraud, but considering information from the C's regarding 5th density (and reincarnation) and this thread, I'd say he's pretty legit, but I could be wrong of course. Matt is pretty young and he's a fast talker, information just comes out of him, I think it's pretty fascinating. Again, I could be wrong about both of them!

Perhaps also interesting: I had a conversation with a lady who gave me a skin treatment several months ago. We at some point arrived at the topic of spirits, and she said that after her grandfather died, light bulbs in her apartment would go out, they'd break and she kept having to replace them. Someone told her it was likely her grandfather. When she realized that, the light bulb thingy stopped. I wonder if this was an attempt by her grandfather to let her know that he's still around.

Maybe the following is also worth sharing. A story shared by my colleague: Her grandmother loved pinching people, it was her way of showing affection, in a teasy way. The night after her grandmother passed, my colleague told me she felt someone pinching her in her arm and it woke her up. In the morning she told her mom about her experience, and her mom said she experienced the exact same thing! We both thought it was interesting.

FWIW.
I have already commented on this post, but I will repeat it with other words.

One of my grandparents died while he was asleep. The day before he was in a bar with his friends quietly, he went to sleep at night and died.

I always wondered how that death would be, since one is "unconscious", "asleep".

Because of my personal experience that I have already recounted in this thread, I now know.

I will repeat it without extending much.

I fell asleep in a chair. A noise scared me and I tried to get up very fast.

I felt a jolt and "I was out of the body."

I was out of the body and I was "awake", fully aware. It is understood?

I was asleep and suddenly I was "awake" out of my body.

Then, extrapolating to situations in which the "brain" works badly, once our consciousness is "disconnected" from the "machine", you "wake up" with full and lucid consciousness.

What follows after leaving the body I do not know, because I was only a moment next to my body and then I went back to "connect", but I insist, my personal experience is that there is no difference between having a body and not having it , "any".

We are "intact."🤔

Thought I'd share this interesting short video. Description: "Dr. Lloyd Rudy, a pioneer of cardiac surgery, tells stories of two patients who came back to life after being declared dead, and what they told him."

Related to this video (link):

In January 2013, [his assistant during the surgery] Dr. Amado-Cattaneo commented on the YouTube interview, stating that “Everything that Dr. Lloyd Rudy explained in this video is absolutely true. I was there with him doing this surgery. The patient fully recovered and what he said to us after the surgery is what he experienced”. When brought to the attention of NDE researchers Titus Rivas and Rudolf Smit, they contacted him to ask for more details about the case, and they have recently shared their discussion in the latest issue of the Journal of Near-Death Studies:
This case happened some time late 1990s early 2000s… I did witness the entire case and everything that my partner Dr. Rudy explained in the video. I do not have a rational scientific explanation to explain this phenomenon. I do know that this happened. This patient had close to 20 minutes or more of no life, no physiologic life, no heart beat, no blood pressure, no respiratory function whatsoever and then he came back to life and told us what you heard on the video. He recovered fully.
…This was not a hoax, no way, this was as real as it gets. We were
absolutely shocked that he would come back after 20 or more minutes,
we had pronounced him dead on the operating room table and told the
wife that he had died.
…we thought all along his description was quite accurate regarding things he said he saw or heard. Patients’ eyes are always shut during surgery, most of the time they are taped so they do not open since this can cause injury to the corneas.
I also wanted to add the following. There is a pretty popular Dutch neurobiologist called Dick Swaab who explains NDEs (or similar experiences) as "prolly cuz of the brain goin' wacko". This is part of what he said about a book about NDEs written by a Dutch cardiologist Van Lommel:

There is a good explanation from brain research for every aspect of the NDE. A withdrawal experience can be generated by stimulation of the temporal lobe that is very sensitive to oxygen deficiency. If the processing of information from the muscles, the sense of balance and vision is disturbed here, then you get the feeling of stepping out of your body and floating. By stimulating the hypothalamus you can relive events from 30 years ago as if your life flashes past you. The feeling of peace and tranquility and the disappearance of pain with an NDE is caused by the release of opiate-like substances and seeing a tunnel is based on a reduced blood flow to the eyeball. [...]

Various hospitals are trying to collect evidence for exiting the body during an NDE. 'Codes' are placed high on cupboards, but as expected, 'out of the body' patients were unable to tell what was on top of the cupboard. All in all, there is no reason at all to see NDE as evidence for observing outside the brain, or as evidence of having experienced something of a life after death.

Yet, there are many cases where patients DID recall details while they were dead and with their eyes shut. How would he explain that? How would he explain the account shared by Dr. Rudy and his assistant? And as Dr. Rudy shared, what about the similar experiences of other cardiac surgeons? It's unfortunate how easily he writes off any other explanation. Certainly, the brain may play a factor in some experiences, but note how he has a closed mind on the phenomena. If you look at his words "but as expected" & "there is no reason at all" you can notice a clear bias.

Which brings me to what biologist Dr. Rupert Sheldrake said in this video (about the Scole experiments):

Scientists have done very little to investigate the afterlife or reincarnation. Most materialists assume that both of them are impossible. So, there's a kind of dogmatic denial by some scientists of the possibility of these things. But I wouldn't say that was a scientific understanding, I would say that was a dogmatic ideologically motivated dismissal. To get to a scientific understanding, is to do the research.

Exactly, which thankfully the researchers I linked in a previous post do.

I also wanted to share my thoughts about the following article about a study with rats (I will copy some interesting parts here to save you from opening the Independent website which is slow and full of ads - link):

High levels of activity in the brains of rats may give rational answer to 'spiritual' phenomena

Now, for the first time, scientists say they have observed brain activity in dying rats that may shed light on the mystery of human near death experiences. [...]

Near death experiences (NDEs), which the study's authors said were reported by 20 per cent of cardiac arrest survivors, are commonly cited as evidence of an afterlife or the separation of the body and the soul - but scientists have increasingly been able to attribute people's experiences to physiological processes and now believe they result from unusual brain activity caused by reduced blood flow to the brain. [...]

"This study, performed in animals, is the first dealing with what happens to the neurophysiological state of the dying brain," said the study's lead author Dr Jimo Borjigin. "We reasoned that if near-death experience stems from brain activity, neural correlates of consciousness should be identifiable in humans or animals even after the cessation of cerebral blood flow."

[Now notice the following]

Experts in the UK said that, while the results were intriguing, there was no way of knowing whether the activity observed in the rats was the same that produced the near death experience phenomenon in humans.

"The paper has merely shown - and the authors are extremely clear on this point - that they have demonstrated the change in gamma oscillations occurring over a similar time period to when NDEs are experienced in humans," said Dr David McGonigle, of Cardiff University's school of psychology. "We have no idea what the rats experience - if anything - while the increase in synchronous gamma occurs."

Doubts have also been raised over the researchers' claims that the signals observed in the dying brains of the rats were similar to a conscious state. Dr McGonigle said that scientist were still "at loggerheads" over what consciousness means, both in humans and in animals.

Dr Anders Sandberg, a neuroscientist and research fellow at Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute said that neither the findings, nor common stories of near death experiences in humans, should be interpreted as evidence of "life after death".

[Don't worry Sandberg, we will embrace your materialism! Besides, I wouldn't say anything is necessarily evidence of life after death. There is very interesting information out there that defies mainstream science, and it would serve us better to look into that data with an open mind, and consider explanations that could possibly fit that data, which 'life' after death is an example of. Their explanation of the brain does not explain all.]

"A lot of the neural networks in the brain can stimulate themselves without any external signals under the right conditions… oxygen deprivation can certainly mess up many systems at the same time…" he said. "So it could be that during a NDE, the conditions make neurons start to fire and form patterns of activity. These patterns of activity are shaped by how the brain is connected, and we know that some patterns in the visual cortex seem to closely correspond to commonly reported hallucinations (like tunnels). Higher order parts of the brain might create emotions or ideas in a similar random fashion, populating the experience."

[Yes, certain patterns in the visual cortex cause people to gain super 360 degrees vision of the room they're in while their eyes are shut! Or does that not fit in his explanation?]

Notice how they end the article with another close-minded scientist. The only thing they noticed in this study, which is quite interesting, is brain activity in dying rats. The researchers emphasize: We do not know what this means. Yet the article has text about how ridiculous life after death is and what possible explanations for NDEs can be, i.e. brain going wonky. Again, it doesn't explain Dr. Rudy's account in the video above, and many others like it. I'll end my little vent here :nuts:

Notice how they end the article with another close-minded scientist.

Recently, I had the opportunity to witness the effect of this malignant materialistic stance on a teenager. What happened is that her old friend has been sick for months now. Still, it was a shock to the teenage when she found the dead body of her old friend at her home. The old friend died of natural causes, but the teenage girl went into a hysterical fit unlike very few allowed for human's psychology. If I ever witnessed somebody losing their mind right there and then, it was this moment when I went to certify the death and saw this teenage girl. You would think that someone told her that the very soul of her friend was crashed into non-existence, never to wake up ever again. It was horrible. She was literally pulling her hair and looked like she was being tortured to death by unseen forces.

A family member told her to please take a hold of herself, that the death of the friend was difficult for her too. She was lamenting the fact that her friend can't be dead because she didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I told her that she still had that chance, that she could write a letter that she could burn and throw the ashes to the wind and that the act will help her friend transition to the afterlife in peace. She seemed to calm down a little with the word "afterlife". I left realizing how sad is to see how this seemingly unharmful materialistic stance is scarring an entire generation into despair, suffering and annihilation.

Some people would think that this girl's reaction is completely unrelated with materialism. I would disagree with them. On the contrary, I hope the teenage girl will be able to recover from the death of her friend and that she will learn more about afterlife concepts, accepting that there's more to this 3D life, that is, if there is something within her that opens that possibility. And if scientists such as the above will not dominate the information reaching the young generations or at least not obstruct information about the afterlife. It reminds me of the book "Heretic" by Matti Leisola:

Once a high school teacher gave me an essay by one of her students. According to the student, science had given him reasons to believe that life is meaningless. The student’s situation saddened me. All too many students fail to differentiate between scientific results and their philosophical interpretation. The philosophy of materialism does point to an ultimately meaningless universe, but science doesn’t. Scientific discoveries in a variety of fields point to a cosmos, not a chaos. They point to a universe bursting with evidence of meaning and purpose. Unfortunately, science journals and the popular media have long been preaching materialism’s gloomy message under the guise of science, so it is not surprising that many students swallow it whole.

Years later, with that student’s despairing letter still knocking around in my head, I wrote the following column for my university’s newsletter:
Worldview Footprint?
Scientists do not function without worldview commitments, and their worldview easily affects the interpretation of their research results. These interpretations can and often will influence the world-views of the members of the society. Viktor Frankl was a professor in the medical faculty of Vienna. As a Jew he was sent to one of Nazi Germany’s concentration camps, Auschwitz, but survived. Frankl was “absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some Ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.” The Nazi regime did not force scientists to work for them but “many scientists voluntarily oriented their work to fit the regime’s policies—as a way of getting money… Most researchers, it turns out, seem to have regarded the regime not as a threat, but as an opportunity for their research ambitions” (“Uncomfortable Truths,” Nature 434, no. 7034).

Some people would think that this girl's reaction is completely unrelated with materialism. I would disagree with them. On the contrary, I hope the teenage girl will be able to recover from the death of her friend and that she will learn more about afterlife concepts, accepting that there's more to this 3D life, that is, if there is something within her that opens that possibility. And if scientists such as the above will not dominate the information reaching the young generations or at least not obstruct information about the afterlife.

After watching the video that Oxajil posted above I found this interview with a Welsh researcher:

I think she is an example of a scientist who uses her research into near-death to alleviate suffering. She mentions a case where she talked about her research to a lady who was afraid of dying, it helped the patient a lot. She also mentions her dying grand-father with whom she had long conversations about her research and who died peacefully.

Apparently, some people die in spiritual distress, when things are left unsaid and it is mistaken for physical pain, according to Penny Sartori. But I think people who are dying and still don't know anything about the afterlife being very scared must be in spiritual distress too.

Back
Top Bottom