Deep Impact -- just one of the many possible terrifying futures?

Third_Density_Resident

Jedi Council Member
I wasn't sure where to place this link -- either here, in the "Earth Changes" forum, or under "Environmental Issues", but anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oclNvH82-Kk&mode=related&search=

It's a video on YouTube which, frankly, is nothing less than terrifying, and could be one possible future scenario for us all. The downside of the video is that it's narrated in Japanese. It would be good to get a translation on it, but I think most of it speaks for itself in any case. I've read elsewhere that most of what is depicted is quite accurate.

Third_Density_Resident said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oclNvH82-Kk&mode=related&search=

It's a video on YouTube which, frankly, is nothing less than terrifying, and could be one possible future scenario for us all. .
The url shoud be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oclNvH82-Kk

Geez, if the meteorit is that big, i think we can say bye bye to life as we know it on earth. It would be a direct and rapid trip to 5d.

It is a good video to shock ourselves out of the *normal* everyday routines. We'll probably need a lot of those shockers.

On the down side, IMO, it is too focused on creating an emotional impact to be considered a realistic scenario. First, the meteorite is too big, the probability would be much higher for a smaller one or a series of smaller ones. Second, we should be more worried about secondary effects rather than the impact itself, which is the focus of the video and which would affect a comparatively small area. I'm reading "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes" as recommended by Laura and it portrays very well such a scenario. According to the book, some of the secondary effects are massive tsunamis, vast amount of methane released that alters climate, debris cloud covering the Earth ...

hoangmphung said:
On the down side, IMO, it is too focused on creating an emotional impact to be considered a realistic scenario. First, the meteorite is too big, the probability would be much higher for a smaller one or a series of smaller ones. Second, we should be more worried about secondary effects rather than the impact itself, which is the focus of the video and which would affect a comparatively small area. I'm reading "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes" as recommended by Laura and it portrays very well such a scenario. According to the book, some of the secondary effects are massive tsunamis, vast amount of methane released that alters climate, debris cloud covering the Earth ...
I agree. I think it is almost as big as the moon. Regarding meteors and comets, there are another probability: that they explode higher in the atmosphere and fall as a meteorical rain (several little fire rocks) causing burnings everywhere. Only a few hundreds in a few minutes, could cause a burning that may destroy entire cities.

The least dangerous one, would be if they fall in a lonely deep lake, where no humans live several miles around it. (osit)

Namaste, what was wrong with the url I posted? It seems to work fine for me.

hoangmphung said:
On the down side, IMO, it is too focused on creating an emotional impact to be considered a realistic scenario. First, the meteorite is too big, the probability would be much higher for a smaller one or a series of smaller ones.
I agree with the part about it being extremely unlikely for something that large to ever impact the earth. However in this universe it is still possible. But I don't think the video is "too emotional" at all -- in fact how is it even possible to be "too emotional" with something as cataclysmic as this anyway?

Second, we should be more worried about secondary effects rather than the impact itself, which is the focus of the video and which would affect a comparatively small area.
Did you actually watch the video properly? There is nothing "small" about the affected area -- in fact the WHOLE globe is affected catastrophically, to the point that there would be NO LIFE remaining. Any "secondary effects" would not be observed by a single living thing as every organism would be dead. As such, there would be literally no living thing left that would be capable of worrying.

I'm reading "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes" as recommended by Laura and it portrays very well such a scenario. According to the book, some of the secondary effects are massive tsunamis, vast amount of methane released that alters climate, debris cloud covering the Earth ...
I shall be reading that book soon myself. However in the video, tsunamis and methane gas would be the LEAST of our worries. Did you not see the oceans boiling away?

hoangmphung said:
On the down side, IMO, it is too focused on creating an emotional impact to be considered a realistic scenario. First, the meteorite is too big, the probability would be much higher for a smaller one or a series of smaller ones.
I agree with the part about it being extremely unlikely for something that large to ever impact the earth. However in this universe it is still possible. But I don't think the video is "too emotional" at all -- in fact how is it even possible to be "too emotional" with something as cataclysmic as this anyway?
My point is that since the meteorite is being depicted as so improbably big, the WHOLE scenario, rather than the fact that it is big, may be entirely dismissed by those who watch it. They may forget that a smaller one will do the job (of creating a mass extinction on Earth) equally well and with much higher probability.

Second, we should be more worried about secondary effects rather than the impact itself, which is the focus of the video and which would affect a comparatively small area.
Did you actually watch the video properly? There is nothing "small" about the affected area -- in fact the WHOLE globe is affected catastrophically, to the point that there would be NO LIFE remaining. Any "secondary effects" would not be observed by a single living thing as every organism would be dead. As such, there would be literally no living thing left that would be capable of worrying.
Yes, I did watch it properly :) My remark was about a smaller one that is more likely, not the one in the video. Sorry for not making it clear. With a smaller one, secondary effects will have more impact on life on Earth as a whole than the impact itself.

I'm reading "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes" as recommended by Laura and it portrays very well such a scenario. According to the book, some of the secondary effects are massive tsunamis, vast amount of methane released that alters climate, debris cloud covering the Earth ...
I shall be reading that book soon myself. However in the video, tsunamis and methane gas would be the LEAST of our worries. Did you not see the oceans boiling away?
See my reply above. About the book, I'm highly recommending it because it includes clearly all the investigation and the evidence, not just a graphic description of the Event. There is one thing that I don't like though: It associates the Event with a supernova and implies that the next supernova will be millions of years away. So go back to sleep, Joe 6 pack, nothing to worry about.

hoangmphung, thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding. And I agree that a smaller impact would not only be more likely, but able to cause nearly as much damage as a gigantic one.

hoangmphung said:
About the book, I'm highly recommending it because it includes clearly all the investigation and the evidence, not just a graphic description of the Event. There is one thing that I don't like though: It associates the Event with a supernova and implies that the next supernova will be millions of years away. So go back to sleep, Joe 6 pack, nothing to worry about.
This does seem odd. I'm going to have to read it before I can comment further.

Namaste, what was wrong with the url I posted? It seems to work fine for me.
Well, it did not work for me. I had an error each time i tried it.

Back
Top Bottom