David Keys - Catastrophe (book on a possible early eruption of Krakatoa c.535AD)

Mal7

Dagobah Resident
Catastrophe: An Investigation into the Origin of Modern Civilization
by David Keys.
New York: Ballantine Books, 2000.
_http://www.amazon.com/Catastrophe-Investigation-Origins-Modern-Civilization/dp/0345408764/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386305100&sr=8-1&keywords=keys+catastrophe

I haven't read this book, but just came across a reference to it in Simon Winchester's book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded and thought it sounded interesting.
The author -- archaeologist and journalist David Keys -- posits that a single event in about 535 CE triggered between 18 months and 3+ yrs of bad weather worldwide. The first calamity to follow the catastrophe was drought in some places, massive floods in others. On the heels of terrible weather came famine worldwide and plague in the old world.
- from an Amazon review by reviewer Diggitt McLaughlin.

Here is the publisher's blurb for Catastrophe:

It was a catastrophe without precedent in recorded history: for months on end, starting in A.D. 535, a strange, dusky haze robbed much of the earth of normal sunlight. Crops failed in Asia and the Middle East as global weather patterns radically altered. Bubonic plague, exploding out of Africa, wiped out entire populations in Europe. Flood and drought brought ancient cultures to the brink of collapse. In a matter of decades, the old order died and a new world—essentially the modern world as we know it today—began to emerge.

In this fascinating, groundbreaking, totally accessible book, archaeological journalist David Keys dramatically reconstructs the global chain of revolutions that began in the catastrophe of A.D. 535, then offers a definitive explanation of how and why this cataclysm occurred on that momentous day centuries ago.

The Roman Empire, the greatest power in Europe and the Middle East for centuries, lost half its territory in the century following the catastrophe. During the exact same period, the ancient southern Chinese state, weakened by economic turmoil, succumbed to invaders from the north, and a single unified China was born. Meanwhile, as restless tribes swept down from the central Asian steppes, a new religion known as Islam spread through the Middle East. As Keys demonstrates with compelling originality and authoritative research, these were not isolated upheavals but linked events arising from the same cause and rippling around the world like an enormous tidal wave.

Keys's narrative circles the globe as he identifies the eerie fallout from the months of darkness: unprecedented drought in Central America, a strange yellow dust drifting like snow over eastern Asia, prolonged famine, and the hideous pandemic of the bubonic plague. With a superb command of ancient literatures and historical records, Keys makes hitherto unrecognized connections between the "wasteland" that overspread the British countryside and the fall of the great pyramid-building Teotihuacan civilization in Mexico, between a little-known "Jewish empire" in Eastern Europe and the rise of the Japanese nation-state, between storms in France and pestilence in Ireland.

In the book's final chapters, Keys delves into the mystery at the heart of this global catastrophe: Why did it happen? The answer, at once surprising and definitive, holds chilling implications for our own precarious geopolitical future. Wide-ranging in its scholarship, written with flair and passion, filled with original insights, Catastrophe is a superb synthesis of history, science, and cultural interpretation.

I think I mentioned Keyes in "HoM". Or maybe I talk about it later in the text that is to become a subsequent volume. Reading his book was useful for some of the data he collected, but his explanations just didn't fly. Baillie et al pretty much debunked his thesis.

Here is a documentary on mid 6th century event ( titled 536 AD: The Year That The Sun Disappeared | Catastrophe | Real History )
with interviews with David Keys and Mike Bailey and others. Mike Bailey mentions the legend of King Arthur started in 6th century and why he thinks the curious wording of the texts are cometary phenomenon etc.

The research story line of the documentary starts with questions from British historian David Keys who wants to find answers ( Laura mentioned him in this article )in to what happened in 6th century, evidence from Bailey's dendrochronology, probable causation from frosting due sun dimming, mentions of it early Christian texts and other historical texts like Chinese, Japanese and Korean to , multiple Tunguska like events saturating the atmosphere with dust ( as Chinese wrote as raining of yellow dust from sky that can be scooped with hand) etc.

I finished watching the "Real History" documentary on 536 AD mentioned. I was disappointed with the video after its promising start with Mile Bailey's interviews and his hypothesis ( large number of Tunguska style type explosions). I think they twisted it very badly as Laura mentioned above.
I think I mentioned Keyes in "HoM". Or maybe I talk about it later in the text that is to become a subsequent volume. Reading his book was useful for some of the data he collected, but his explanations just didn't fly. Baillie et al pretty much debunked his thesis.
I will write it down how they built the "story" in this video to depict what happened and how they "twisted" it.
  • This video is sort of David Key's research and he has a desire to figure out. So he reached out to Mike Bailey, who showed his work on tree rings and he explained how tree rings depict environmental conditions. He also mentions about cometary bombardments are most possible causes( shown in the video).
  • David Key (or some body else) want to test this hypothesis and heads to arctic to test ice cores. Thought process is If ice cores contains sulfuric acid , it is volcano's. If it contains iridium i.e. space rocks. They found sulfuric acid. So It looked they dropped the Bailey's hypothesis.
    • This thought process itself is problematic to start with, but they went with it. Pierre wrote about this "bias" in relation to YD event.
That's the least mainstream science could concede knowing the overwhelming evidence of cometary impacts ca. 12,800 BP.

However their statement is still misleading. I don't think that volcanism induced cooling was worsened by an extraterrestrial impact but rather that multiple extraterrestrial impacts induced the YD cooling and triggered volcanic eruptions too.

The thing is, recent history of our planet is marked by numerous ice core dust spikes that are systematically attributed to volcanic eruptions.
Problem is, for most spikes there's no eruption with matching date!

RCpjUxU.png

The diagram above shows SO2 (sulfuric dioxide) concentrations in GISP2 (Greenland) ice core over the past 16,000 years :

It shows 62 spikes that reach more than 120 ppm. Some of the spikes reach 800 ppm. For comparison, the "giant" Krakatoa eruption generated about 150 ppm of sulfur.

Out of those 62 major spikes, only 14 are tentatively associated to a volcanic eruption. The two largest ones (-10,657 BC and -9,285 BC) have no associated eruption whatsoever.

It raises an obvious question: "how many ice core dust spikes are wrongly attributed to volcanic eruptions while being the result of cometary events (direct impact or overhead explosion)?"
  • Now that they found "Sulfuric acid" in arctic core( also found in Antarctic ice cores but not with certainty), they have to find which volcano it is. So they heads to Krakatoa (Indonesia) and finds some carbon material and does carbon dating. They found oldest Krakatoa eruptions as 6600 BCE and many layers after 6600BCE and latest being in 13th century AD. No concrete signal around 6th century AD as they are looking for.
    • It looks equator has around 200 volcano's and out of which 90 are active. so equator is prime suspect.
    • If the volcano is equator/southern hemisphere, how did it reach Arctic? - Their hypothesis is , If the volcano spews its lava 30 miles high, it will travel all across globe, creates global winter for decades, with its all ripple effects of destruction.
  • How it travelled to Europe and Ireland (where tree rings found):
    • Indonesia to Central Africa ( where plagues seems to exist in the past) and its trade routes to Alexandria -> Roman Empire -> its trading European counterparts ( Celts who occupied western part of Britain etc.)
    • Due to Avars (Mongolian) barbarian invasions into Roman empire. It started as migrations due to climate change and avars regenerated in the migrations and became invading force.
During the entire episode we were reminded over and over that it is because of Volcanic eruption. The way they present it is pretty common in main stream videos to dodge the obvious elephant in the room "Periodic cometary bombardments" that reset human life, creates new religions, kick start new migrations etc.
  • One data point picked my curiosity is 6600BCE as the oldest Krakatoa eruption as per their carbon dating and many others later. We don't know Whether carbon dating is correct or not as it seems to depend on atmospheric conditions (like magnetic fields etc.) which has changed over time.
    • If this level of magnitude of destruction happened due to Krakatoa, the entire region would be completely devastated. Does it has any thing to do C's mention of destruction of extinct Atlantean race "Paranthas" (aka Denisovan)? Here is the picture of Denisovan habitat. Group1 Denisovan are very nearer to the Krakatoa.
Denisovan.jpg

I always wondered how one Atlantean race (Paranthas) go extinct while all other races ( Kantekkanians (later day Aryan and Celts), Native American) was able to survive? It is quite probable these Volcano's eliminated them. There can be MANY reasons why Volcano's got triggered in the first place though.

Back
Top Bottom