Daily Life in Ancient Rome - Jerome Carcopino

Mausoleum of Hadrian

Located in Parco Adriano, the Mausoleum of Hadrian is perhaps better known to the public as Castel Sant'Angelo. The structure was commissioned by Emperor Hadrian as a resting place for himself and his family. It was built between AD 134 and 139. Hadrian's ashes were laid placed inside in 138 and the tradition to lay other emperors to rest here was born.

before-after-roman-buildings-structures-8-5c9b487ca9856__700.jpg
Castel Sant'Angelo.jpg
Mausoleum of Hadrian Turned into Castel Santโ€™Angelo(1).jpg

Yes, it was quite an eye-opener. I followed it up with Jerry Toner's "Infamy: The Crimes of Ancient Rome" which is a sort of study of crime in Rome and Roman Law, etc. Not as dramatic as Carcopino, but pretty good except for a few intrusions of his leftist thinking and a couple of bloopers where he appears to actually think that the book of Acts was history. There were some excellent points he extracted from this study that are worth bearing in mind when we judge the ancients by our own standards. The way our modern world views crime and law is actually a fairly recent development that we should bear in mind.
Awesome Laura . . . u devour Books the same way a Grasscutting machine weaves through my garden . . . ๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘ŒโœŒ๏ธ๐ŸคŸ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

just wanna know how long till u take out Serial 4 & 5 to Secret History ? ? ? The Book on "Weather" was cute but not in the same league as Horns of Moses . . . .

they woul leave crap on the streets outside their houses not bothered whether anyone slipped in

The first painting is of an open marketplace. The second is of the Forum Romanum. People don't dump their waste there.

Hygiene in Rome was not optimal, but there were many sewers, public latrines, baths, and other sanitation infrastructure in place.

i admit you may be right Bro, but if u're keen on Roman Civ, i'd still urge you to read, quote Wiki -> "Roman Blood is a historical novel by American author Steven Saylor, first published by Minotaur Books in 1991. It is the first book in his Roma Sub Rosa series of mystery novels set in the final decades of the Roman Republic. Saylor's best-known work is his Roma Sub Rosa historical mystery series, set in ancient Rome. The novels' hero is a detective named Gordianus the Finder, active during the time of Sulla, Cicero, Julius Caesar, and Cleopatra. Outside this crime novel series, Saylor has also written two epic-length historical novels about the city of Rome, Roma and Empire. His work has been published in 21 languages". . . unquote

He is famous as the gay erotic fiction writer Aaron Travis. Saylor has lived with his partner Richard Solomon since 1976 and they officially registered as domestic partners in San Francisco in 1991.

Steve Saylor is not a dumbhead by any standards and has been honoured by the Academia of Italy for his work . . .

1620013110069.png

Steve Saylor is not a dumbhead by any standards and has been honoured by the Academia of Italy for his work . . .

That's okay. But I still don't see the link between people disposing of their waste and the paintings.

The crap is not reflected in the paintings . . . n the public urinals were never cleaned . . .check out Steve Saylor . . .

Phew . . . read the Book Dude n u'll figure out it's quite realistic , not apalling at all really . . . ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks for pointing the book out to me. But what I think you need to understand is that it is inappropriate to talk about human waste when there is no reason to do so. These are beautiful paintings made with a lot of love.

Not only that. We share several past lives on this planet. Try to see the unique moments of those times as well. Maybe it helps to process past lives that way. Sometimes when I read or see about times in our history I get emotional and want to know as much about it as possible. I then also often feel as if I have processed something. A laconic attitude doesn't help with that.

Back
Top Bottom