Daily Bread

webglider

Dagobah Resident
Last night for the first time in a long time, I practiced the breathing exercises. During the meditation, as I listened to the words, "Be my daily bread, as I give bread to others." The phrases reverberated in a way they had never done before. This morning, as I was trying to figure out the right course of action to take concerning a situation that that wasn't going well, I remembered those words: "Be my daily bread as I give bread to others." I knew that those words were a guide for what I needed to do that day, so I took no action at all and simply repeated the words over and over again. Each time I felt that I needed to talk to someone to vent, I told myself that I needed to work this problem out by myself. Venting with anothe person would only keep me where I already was.

"Be my daily bread, as I give bread to others" was, I knew, a lesson that I was being taught if I only could learn how to listen.

So I thought and thought about those words, and I realized that it was time to work on one of the many programs that have made life so difficult for me - the rescuer program. I identified with the part "as I give bread to others," because I'm always giving, but somehow, the way I give almost always ends up badly. And then I realized that the words "Be my daily bread" was the answer. I do not feed myself - I feed others and often something goes terribly wrong during the process. I could never really figure out why I usually end up unsupported and things don't work out the way I thought they would.

My fault, I think, was that I was looking outward for such support. The words, "Be my daily bread" took on real significance for me meaning - I I need to feed myself before I could help others, and sometimes my role is not to feed them at all, but let them find the way to nourish themselves.

So I tested myself, and refrained from taking any kind of action. I just stayed with myself despite the bad feelings that I held inside. I didn't allow any programs to run. The day, turned out to be a good day considering what it could have been. It actually was a very good day because I knew that I had acted in a way that I had not become food for anything else, and it happened, I think because I was able to accept the "Daily Bread" that I had asked for.

I would like to hear webglider what bread means to you in this context? I have my ideas on it, but I would like to hear yours and others.

It's very good to hear that EE is working well for you :). Keeping the words of prayer in mind is a great way to remember ourselves in the face of the onslaught of A influences.

ajseph 21 said:
I would like to hear webglider what bread means to you in this context? I have my ideas on it, but I would like to hear yours and others.

My interpretation of it so far is that the bread (should we change that to bacon now? ;) ) is knowledge, in the 'adult dictionary' sense of the word. Ideally, it replaces the need to feed on others to get our energetic 'bread'.

Knowledge comes to us in the form of lessons, and I guess the prayer helps us to be open to those lessons, as webglider has described, allowing easier access to our daily bread. As always though, the real effort is up to us.

quote from ajseph:

I've been observing myself interacting with others lately, just observing, not judging, but taking stock of the effect I have on others as I go about just being me.

This assessment gave me some disturbing information about myself. It was so disturbing that I realized that I have to change.

I can't use what I am to change who I am. I always thought I could, but I really can't. The programs are too strong and the self sabotage is too great.

Your question about bread is a good one because it helps me articulate the aim I am setting for myself.

The receiving of "bread" for me is an admission that I am a very flawed human being and need help, and the help I need is not on this plane. To ask for bread is to humble myself and admit I can not do what I need to do, or be who I need to be in this world without a spiritual connection.

webglider said:
I've been observing myself interacting with others lately, just observing, not judging, but taking stock of the effect I have on others as I go about just being me.

This assessment gave me some disturbing information about myself. It was so disturbing that I realized that I have to change.

I can't use what I am to change who I am. I always thought I could, but I really can't. The programs are too strong and the self sabotage is too great.

Same here when I started - or rather tried - self-observation for the first time. And you're right, we can't change ourselves.

I can't find the quote in ISOTM but G - if I remember correctly, paraphrasing - said something like 'Machines cannot change. Only Men can change. A machine will suppress one thing in itself and another will surface.'
Than he gave an example of something like if you suppress your impatience, you become frantic and you can't explain why.

ajseph 21 said:

To me it's a mixture of what Carlise and Webglider said. It is knowledge, it is help (of any sort, mostly spiritual but also includes day-to-day things).
Basically I see it as everything that's STO.

Since bread is a common staple of sustenance, it’s an excellent metaphor for anything that sustains an individual or group - physically, mentally or spiritually.

"Be my daily bread, as I give bread to others." For me this means using the knowledge that is gained here, then putting the knowledge into action by my thoughts, what I speak, my actions/deeds to others.

It sometimes feels like a very long road ahead.

I've interpreted the 'bread' as a metaphor for STO interaction. "Be my daily bread, as I give bread to others" = service to self through serving others.

Seppo Ilmarinen said:
I've interpreted the 'bread' as a metaphor for STO interaction. "Be my daily bread, as I give bread to others" = service to self through serving others.

my thoughts exactly.... :)

Wow it seems there are alot of ways to interpret daily bread! I think of it as knowledge and light. I see it like recieving this light to radiate to others and the rest of the prayer seems to be asking to lift your veils. Consequently, Nancy2feathers it's like your tag to me "I like Gurdjieff`s teachings: What a man has received he must immediately give back, only then can he receive more. Otherwise from him will be taken even what he has already been given." STO interactions, a common staple of sustenance as a metaphor, putting knowledge into your actions and humbly accepting help from higher planes. This is all good food for thought.

Nancy2feathers said:

This is an example of a kind of anticipation we want to get rid of. You might be able to dump it by realizing that later stages of difficulty are only perceived as difficult from today's mindset.

Think about it this way: A novice runner who wants to eventually run a marathon starts with an aim and simply does the best (s)he can do today. Each day ends with a little more strength, a little more power, a little more of everything-discipline, will, knowledge and being. When tomorrow comes, You may not even know that it's more difficult than yesterday because you've increased your capacity to deal with it. :)

Buddy, when I said " It sometimes feels like a very long road ahead of me" I feel that there is so much more I need to learn and accomplish. You are right. I need to apply the lessons I learn today and grow stronger from that rather than feeling overwhelmed with what is down the road.

Okay. Creating possibilities in the mind and then acting on those possibilities, making it real... in the present. The long road gets shortened. In other words...live in the present. This is something I need to work on. I tend to be impatient at times trying to sort things out in my mind. That is probably a waste of energy anyway. I think I`v been that way from a young age. It was a way to protect myself. The Work here is helping me to lose some of that feeling that I need to be in control of" everything" in my life. EE has helped me let go of a lot of pent up feelings. I need to do more EE, my Daily Bread.

Buddy said:
Nancy2feathers said:

This is an example of a kind of anticipation we want to get rid of. You might be able to dump it by realizing that later stages of difficulty are only perceived as difficult from today's mindset.

Think about it this way: A novice runner who wants to eventually run a marathon starts with an aim and simply does the best (s)he can do today. Each day ends with a little more strength, a little more power, a little more of everything-discipline, will, knowledge and being. When tomorrow comes, You may not even know that it's more difficult than yesterday because you've increased your capacity to deal with it. :)

It's just a simple observation Buddy. Nothing to be 'gotten rid of' or 'dumped'. It's ok to just say 'Life sucks!' sometimes. Anyway, the Work should feel gruelling more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom