Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

naorma said:
itellsya said:

Thank you for the videolink! I did not finish it but watched the first 20 minutes!
Spannend (I would say in German) ;)
Exciting (I say in English) ;D !
I actually watched this recently. It's incredible what he has managed to do but it seems like he trains people to run on pure adrenaline with all the hyperventilation going on. When everyone was in the room in sleeping bags breathing together and having all these releases it looked like an EE session on speed. I hope he took the time to help people through the things that would come up during an exercise like this. The other girl presenter was in tears after and it was like she didn't understand why she was crying. Some good emotional aftercare would be helpful.
I'm sure you can do cold adaption without making yourself dizzy.
His story is incredibly sad though and you can see what lengths grief can push a person to.

lainey said:
naorma said:
itellsya said:

Thank you for the videolink! I did not finish it but watched the first 20 minutes!
Spannend (I would say in German) ;)
Exciting (I say in English) ;D !
I actually watched this recently. It's incredible what he has managed to do but it seems like he trains people to run on pure adrenaline with all the hyperventilation going on. When everyone was in the room in sleeping bags breathing together and having all these releases it looked like an EE session on speed. I hope he took the time to help people through the things that would come up during an exercise like this. The other girl presenter was in tears after and it was like she didn't understand why she was crying. Some good emotional aftercare would be helpful.
I'm sure you can do cold adaption without making yourself dizzy.
His story is incredibly sad though and you can see what lengths grief can push a person to.
I watched it too and I found it interesting, though I agree that it is not a good idea to "open" people up in a weekend workshop and then let them go back to their daily lives with all the traumas and wounds having come up to the surface. Aftercare is very important!

When I had a series of breath therapy sessions years ago (without hyperventilation), the therapists would comment afterwards that I after a while stopped breathing for 15-20 minutes and turning blue. Although I am a little sceptical about actually not breathing at all, it was still interesting. I zoned out and had no recall afterwards of the event. No traumatic memories. I could however connect it to childhood episodes where I would have had a similar experience of no air.

Whether some part of the breathing that Wim Hof teaches can be useful in our cold water adaptation remains to be seen, but it could be worth exploring a little further. I noticed that there is a youtube video detailing his method here: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ial3Rc7Xg

A combination of bad judgment and ignoring safety measures led to this 24 y.o. workers death.

Spa worker found frozen to death inside cryotherapy tank
http://www.mail.com/news/us/3918426-spa-worker-frozen-to-death-inside-cryotherapy-tank.html#.7518-stage-hero1-1

Chelsea Patricia Ake-Salvacion liked working at Rejuvenice Cryotherapy so much that she stayed behind when her boyfriend moved back to Hawaii to take a new job, Ake said Tuesday. Ake-Salvacion, 24, planned to spend another year in Las Vegas before opening a similar business of her own in the islands, Ake said.

"She was a good spirit and loved everyone," Ake said. "She had the true aloha spirit. Aloha is love." But something went wrong last week, leaving Ake-Salvacion dead alone inside a chamber the size of a phone booth that was designed to subject users to sub-zero temperatures for a minute or two to relieve pain and other conditions.

Ake said Ake-Salvacion texted her boyfriend that she was going to take a treatment herself after the store closed. She was also seen on security video locking the salon, he said. She was found dead the next morning, Oct. 20, after a co-worker arrived and noticed Ake-Salvacion's car in the parking lot and her belongings in the business.

"When they found her, she was rock solid frozen," the uncle said in an interview from his home in Reno. What killed Ake-Salvacion hasn't been determined. But her death pointed to possible dangers in an increasingly popular but largely unregulated treatment favored by celebrities and sports stars.

Las Vegas police found nothing suspicious and the police case was closed without a criminal investigation. The Clark County coroner said determining Ake-Salvacion's cause of death will await the results of toxicology tests in coming weeks.

Coroner John Fudenberg said no reports about Ake-Salvacion's death had been released by his office as of Tuesday. Nevada Occupational Safety and Health investigators determined that Ake-Salvacion shouldn't have been using the cryotherapy chamber after-hours for personal use, said Teri Williams, spokeswoman for the agency.

"The facts indicate that the fatality occurred as a result of employee misconduct or non-complaint activity," Williams said. "The employer cannot be cited ... and further investigation is not warranted."

Nevertheless, two company locations in Las Vegas and unincorporated Clark County were ordered closed Tuesday, after authorities said they found no business licenses and no company permit to perform cosmetic or other procedures.

State regulators said owners also didn't provide required proof of worker compensation insurance. Attempts to reach spa owners Christian Chateau and Kevin Goujon weren't immediately successful. The company had plans to open a third location, said Williams, who also represents the Nevada Department of Business and Industry and the state Division of Industrial Relations. She said all three locations were slapped with a stop-work order.

Tuesday's actions came a day after the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology ordered the spa where Ake-Salvacion died shut down for not having a license to perform skin and other advertised aesthetician services such as facials. The owners were fined $1,000.

"We didn't even know who they were," Gary Landry, executive director of the state cosmetology board, said about the spa owners. "They had never approached us." Cryotherapy involves placing users inside a chamber with sub-zero temperatures for a short time to relieve pain. Athletes who have long used ice baths to ease their aches have turned to whole body cryotherapy as a quicker way to recover after exercise or competition.

Rejuvenice booked 30-minute sessions for $60 through an Internet discount that put regular prices at about $100. The treatment also is promoted as aiding weight loss, improving healing and increasing blood circulation, leading some salons to offer cryotherapy facials as an anti-aging remedy.

angelburst29 said:
A combination of bad judgment and ignoring safety measures led to this 24 y.o. workers death.
[...]

Not sure what type of system they were using; it says it was the size of a phone booth. The one I tried consisted of three rooms (-60, -80 & -111 Celsius). Each of these rooms could accommodate at least five people and access/egress was easy - time spent within each room was very brief with the longest being the -111 Celsius room.

On this tread there are other systems that seem to be for one individual at a time. Not sure what the access/egress is on those, yet obviously you are not alone as was the case for this person - sadly for her. :(

Assuming she did not have an aliment that came on suddenly, in a cryogenic chamber's cold your judgement can slip away very quickly as hypothermia seats itself.

Wim Hof podcast/interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0jGp6442A

Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought some here might find it interesting.

It's a Joe Rogan podcast featuing Wim Hof, a Dutch man who's broken many records related to submersion in ice. He underwent scientific testing and has proven to modulate his immune system with his mind. He claims anyone can do this.

Why not? 7 benefits of sleeping naked

Hope to cheer you up with this article!

_http://awesometips.pw/articles/7-unexpected-benefits-of-sleeping-naked-backed-by-research?utm_medium=7+Unexpected+Benefits+Of+Sleeping+Naked%2C+Backed+By+Research&utm_source=ho_1018&utm_content=e3cd42d4745768460dab4694a972fd82c

Some of these recommendations were already discussed and my opinion is that they hold water.

Sleeping naked in a room maintained at a temperature no higher than 70F (21C) stimulates the release of the anti-aging hormone called melatonin and the growth hormone in the body.

comment: I'm used to room temperature of less than 18C and complete darkness to have this effect

sleeping naked boosts the release of oxytocin. Oxytocin (also called the love hormone) is a powerful feel-good hormone that is involved in orgasm and sexual responsiveness, combating stress and depression,reducing intestinal inflammation by improving gut motility, and blood pressure reduction.

comment: it goes even without a partner if you prepare a cozy environment for regeneration, by showing respect for yourself - fresh air, clean, natural bed sheets, etc

An Australian study found that some forms of insomnia can be provoked by improper body temperature regulation at night. Another study showed that the regulation of in-bed body temperature could significantly help in improving sleep quality and reaching deeper slumber

I remember Shirley MacLaine trip to Peru when she was told to sleep naked under a wool blanket in a freezing night - and she was pleasantly surprised too !

And so on...Well, won't hurt to try.

Re: Why not? 7 benefits of sleeping naked

What's the difference if your house temperature is cold but you just double up on blankets?

Also, there's almost no way of keeping the house under 70F where I live.

monotonic said:
What's the difference if your house temperature is cold but you just double up on blankets?

Also, there's almost no way of keeping the house under 70F where I live.

Hi monotonic,

I don't use more blankets - the low temperature pushes my cells to work harder, to burn fat, make ATP, intensify the body energy, thus makes the body regenerate and take better care of me in various conditions. Sort of becomes more versatile.

Read some of dr Kruse recommendation on Cold Thermogenesis, it's really helpful:_https://www.jackkruse.com/blog-index/#coldthermogenesis.

FWIW

Don't see a lot of point in a thread devoted to this topic. It would be better restricted to a post in a cold adaptation thread.

Laura said:
Don't see a lot of point in a thread devoted to this topic. It would be better restricted to a post in a cold adaptation thread.

All right Laura, sorry if it is inappropriately placed, maybe it can be moved by a moderator or otherwise, as best suited.
I apologize for it.

Joy

Shared Joy said:
Hi monotonic,

I don't use more blankets - the low temperature pushes my cells to work harder, to burn fat, make ATP, intensify the body energy, thus makes the body regenerate and take better care of me in various conditions. Sort of becomes more versatile.

I had the problem of waking up paralyzed and going through 20 minutes of unbearable pins and needles over my entire body before I could stumble my way out of bed on rubber legs. That was years ago, I suppose I must have fixed the problem after making changes to my health.

voyageur said:
angelburst29 said:
[...]

Not sure what type of system they were using; it says it was the size of a phone booth. The one I tried consisted of three rooms (-60, -80 & -111 Celsius). Each of these rooms could accommodate at least five people and access/egress was easy - time spent within each room was very brief with the longest being the -111 Celsius room.

On this tread there are other systems that seem to be for one individual at a time. Not sure what the access/egress is on those, yet obviously you are not alone as was the case for this person - sadly for her. :(

Assuming she did not have an aliment that came on suddenly, in a cryogenic chamber's cold your judgement can slip away very quickly as hypothermia seats itself.

2 things I want to add:

1. Some days ago I was listening to a Radio talk. A famous opera singer was telling a sad story. He had a daughter who died at the age of 26. Suddenly. Without any visible reason. She was a healthy person. He was told that something that is called "Plötzlicher Kindstod" - Sudden death of a child - that normally only happens to very young children was responsible for her death. So might be this happened to that person?

2. I have been using cryotherapy for 5 times. People here in Austria (and in Switzerland, too) are very careful. You have to sign a paper, most often you have to visit a doctor and need to have an EKG (showing your heart has no problems).

I have been using the chamber with -80°C. The first time someone watches you from outside after that you may use it by yourself. The door can very easily be opened from inside. In case one should feel dizzy you simply have to put a hand or foot against the door and it will open immediately.

Using cryotherapy makes my breathing more deep - besides that you feel refreshed and more active. It also reduced the pain in my foot - which was the reason I started it. The pain has nearly gone, but not only due to cold therapy - I had massages, too. Nevertheless I decided to continue the cold chamber, because of the way it supports my skin as well as my breathing.

It does not replace taking the cold showers every second day! Using the cold water makes something different! And I do this as weel.

The sentence I heard from Wim Hoff "Coldness is your friend" dropped into my consciousness and stayed there! :D

Back
Top Bottom