Creation Museum

sam

The Force is Strong With This One
I've read articles on SoTT about the Creation Museum, and thought it pretty ridiculous, but I didn't realize how ridiculous until I took this photo tour.

1970032902_3b783be2af.jpg

It appears the museum is an attempt to convince the gullible that the blame for the evils of the age mostly rest on the heads of the people believing the earth millions of years old, rather than a few thousand.

1969214963_23392dfa91_m.jpg

And they are showing up for indoctrination by the bus load. You can see why Bush and Co. gleefully use these people. How about a museum on how the bible really came to be instead, and how it has been used to justify torture, war and power grabs by the psychpathic. Now that would be useful.

Reminds me of this article on SoTT:

Roots of Fundamentalism traced to 16th-century Bible translations
Harvard University
Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:30 EST

"Evangelical reading habits after 1525 were disciplinary, punishing and even demeaning," says James Simpson, Donald P. and Katherine B. Loker Professor of English in Harvard University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

In 1525, Protestant reformer William Tyndale translated the Bible into early modern English. Scholars have widely hailed that moment as a liberating step for the literate public, who could suddenly read the Bible on their own terms - without the constraints of priestly interpretation.

Simpson disagrees.

"The 16th-century moment was not the foundation of liberalism, as many historians have maintained, but rather the foundation of fundamentalism," he says. "Anyone who wants to understand how fundamentalism is a product of the modern era must look to its birth in the 16th century."

Tracing the history of biblical translations between 1525 and 1547, or from Tyndale to the death of Henry VIII, Simpson argues that reading in this era became a program of punishment that left believers "persecuted and paranoid." His argument is the focus of a forthcoming book titled "Burning to Read: English Fundamentalism and its Reformation Opponents" (Harvard University Press).

"Evangelicals did not believe that you could be saved through good works, so they looked for signs that the decision had gone their way," Simpson says. "Reading became the locus for salvation or damnation - it was an intense experience in which your eternal fate would be decided."

Prologues to the Bible as well as polemical works helped Simpson to illuminate what the reading experience would have been like for commoners in the 16th century. Tyndale's prologue to the 1525 Bible, for example, highlights the kind of stern warnings offered to private readers.

"If you fail to read it properly, then you begin your just damnation. If you are unresponsive ... God will scourge you, and everything will fail you until you are at utter defiance with your flesh," the prologue reads.

According to Simpson, such rhetoric reveals the fundamentalist nature of these early translations, and indicates the extent to which reformers repudiated individual interpretation.

"Reading became a tightrope of terror across an abyss of predestination," Simpson says. "It was destructive for evangelicals, because it did not invite freedom but rather fear of misinterpretation and damnation."

Simpson argues that the history of evangelical reading has important implications for politics in today's world.

"The birth of fundamentalism marked a new kind of modernity which still influences religion today," he says. "As we enter a new period of fundamentalist reading, we had better understand the ways in which the last period in the West produced 150 years of European violence."

Some of the photo comments were interesting, like this one: "Honestly, it's a miracle that a mob of evolutionary biologists haven't come over the horizon bearing pitchforks and torches to burn this place down."

A fundie homeschooling family my son and I once met at the local library tried to get us interested in the Creation Science movement. According to this museum the earth is around six thousand years old. According to the fundie family at the library the earth is only 4,700 years old. Wonder what the fundie family would think about that time discrepency? Who goes to hell...the fundie family or the Creation Museum creators...for being a few thousand years off?

No thinking, observing, testing, and/or questioning allowed. Just believe whatever the Bible purports to say literally and you will be saved. Try to discern the truth or disagree about dates, doctrine, historical accuracy and interpretation with another "Believer" and you are damned for eternity. Scary stuff. No wonder the PTB love that old time religion.

Thanks Sam, every page of the photo tour was astonishing. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

The comments are very good, especially on rhetorical tricks and logical errors. This page in particular made me laugh until I cried:

A Substantial Downsize from the Garden of Eden

John Scalzi's essay on his visit is also (imo) worth a look:

Your Creation Museum Report

The Creation Museum in Kentucky was opened earlier this year, and it isn't like a lot of money wasn't spent on the project; they put $27 million into it. When that amount of money is spent, you can be fairly sure that a decent spectacle will have been produced. It's all quite slick, in a kind of Universal Studios kind of a way.

Which makes it all the more hypnotising - like any other kind of spectacle.

The sleight of hand is, imo, even more effective because it invites the audience to believe that they are the ones who are doing the real thinking, by boldly challenging mainstream science. It gives the impression that, if you're a Young Earth Creationist, then you're the one who is standing up fearlessly for the truth ...

And it's not like there aren't millions of people who subscribe to this way of thinking:

Wikipedia (Creation Museum) said:
In the introduction to a Good Morning America report on the museum shown Friday, May 25, an ABC news poll was cited, indicating that despite educators' criticisms, a majority of the American public would agree with the Creation Museum. In the poll, it was stated that 60% of Americans believe that "God created the world in six days." In a March 2007 Newsweek poll conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International, 48% of respondents agreed with the statement "God created humans pretty much in the present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so."
Assuming these polls are more or less accurate, that's an awful lot of Americans who think they're making a brave stand in defence of the truth ...

My fundamentalist Christian dad is visiting my sister and her family in Kentucky right now. And yesterday he took her three young children to this joke of a museum. I think it's borderline abuse (if not crossing the border) to expose children to such junk science. But their mom (my sister) is also a fundie, so their brains were probably "washed in the blood of Jesus" already. Maybe it shouldn't bother me so much, but I've always had a strong reaction to the way fundamentalists spoon-feed their dogma to their children. That "Jesus Camp" documentary made me livid... And now to see it happening to my own niece and two nephews. I know there's nothing I could say to my dad or sister to make them even remotely understand. It's just the way fundamentalists think. They have "the truth," therefore it's their duty to fill their kid's heads with it, Free Will be damned. But my sister's kids did have fun at the museum. And a lot of people who were raised fundamentalist wound up rejecting it later. So maybe I'm overreacting. :/

I just recently got wind of this place when I watched the movie "Religulous". The most disturbing part was when they showed the reenactment of the walk leading up to the crucifixion. They actually had an actor up on a cross!

In the film, they had an interview with the actor which was also surreal. Some of the people in the audience were crying and quite a few were really emotionally effected. There are no words...

I just took the Flickr "photo tour," and now I'm speechless... I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize the extent of it. It's not even scientific enough to call it junk science. It's just VERY thinly-disguised religious propaganda. A walk-through Chick tract with $27 million in flashy special effects. How dare they do this to the minds of anyone, let alone children...

Back
Top Bottom