Commuting to work

M

MikaelYosef

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in the past month it feels like the world's taken a turn and shifted gears. There's been chaos for a while, but it just feels like we're closer to something darker and more serious now.

So to segue from the negative to something a little lighter, I found this short video story of a commuter in the UK using his powered paraglider to travel 30km from home to work. I couldn't think of anything better on a nice day:

A breathtaking commute with a dash of danger - BBC Reel

Certainly beats my mode of public transport. With that and in reference to the forum travel topic - I would love to travel to and live somewhere one day where I could do this in a similar way. Maybe a place with slightly more sunshine than the UK :)

Cool vid. But how about having new, open-source technologies that enable (very) local economies such that 'going somewhere' is not needed for basic existence, or for that matter, arriving at the pinnacle of the hierarchy of needs?

Are you referring to Maslow's theory? And if so, could you offer some examples of open-source technologies that might enable such a lifestyle?

Personally, if I was given the choice of going somewhere or not going somewhere and arriving at the same outcome no matter which option I chose, I'd still choose to go somewhere. I feel claustrophobic on earth, let alone my own neighbourhood or house - it's a chance for in-person interaction and exploration.

Back
Top Bottom