Color perception

Hmm...ok, but wouldn't it be based on the assumption that a person with such facial characteristics is usually white? Meaning, that people are doing an automatic correction in their mind based on their prior experience.

Yeah, the two examples aren't totally comparable. With the shoes, they're perceiving different colors; with the face, they're inferring an 'actual' color. My point in using Neil's example was just to show that it would be correct to say, "well he's actually white" and "well the shoes are actually pink and white", regardless of the colors in which they're displayed in a photo.

But if, for example, a person would color their hair and eyebrows, would we be able to ascertain with certainty the orginal color of their hair in the same way? And would we make the same automatic correction and see them with their original color?

I don't think so. Not unless a uniform color was overlaid over the entire head. For example, I think it would be possible to overlay a brown filter on a white/blonde person and guess pretty accurately their actual colors. The key seems to be the contrast between different colors. Unnatural contrasts or tints seem to signal to the brain that something is systematically 'wrong' with the image, and the brain then attempts to correct the perception to bring it back into 'normality'. It's still weird that it happens with this shoe photo though! :umm:

Or do they? Because what could be also said that these people disregard things as they are now, i.e don't see the reality as it is now. And what is actually better or right? 😅

I've been going back and forth on this one... I think maybe the best would be the most objective: to see the colors as they are in the photo (grey/teal), but to also be able to infer that the actual colors of the shoes are pink and white. But that's just a hunch!

But then, it is probable that the same people would look at the same shoe in reality, and see the same thing (pink and white). Unless they do have color blindness of some sorts.

Yeah, assuming the picture was taken under weird lighting conditions, I speculate that everyone in that environment would probably more or less agree. For example, if it was a dance party with a bluish light, everyone would presumably be aware of the color of the lighting and be able to see the bluish tint to the laces but realize they were white. But it may be that different people 'color adapt' more than others, or faster than others. So some might grow so accustomed to the blue light that they no longer perceive it, and actually SEE the laces as white, while others still see them as slightly bluish. At least, that's what that paper I quoted leads me to think.

So perhaps in this sense it does have to do with the monitor. And in this sense the monitor acts as an additional reality "separating"/"one step removed" factor. And some people are able to disregard this separation and see it as it would appear in reality, and some see it just like it is on the screen.

That sounds plausible to me!

I think that this silly pic just helps us realize how much we don't understand about our brain and the reality around us. But what I find MOST perplexing is that despite such differences in perception, we are still somehow able to orient ourselves in this world, and particularly communicate and interact with other people, as if we were seeing similar things. :-D

Meaning, that despite the differences in some aspects of perception, crucial elements are still the same. I find it totally fascinating.

Yeah, a three-year-old meme can still inspire far-out journeys through the doors of perception!

Or do they? Because what could be also said that these people disregard things as they are now, i.e don't see the reality as it is now. And what is actually better or right?
I've been going back and forth on this one... I think maybe the best would be the most objective: to see the colors as they are in the photo (grey/teal), but to also be able to infer that the actual colors of the shoes are pink and white. But that's just a hunch!

I was thinking the same. To see the illusion for what it IS, but also beyond the illusion, the "unseen", so to spreak.

All this color business has also made be wonder about how deep sea marine life still have and see colors and patterns in an environment with particularly very little to no natural light. Well lets see if mother nature has any insights for us? For instance check out these two articles:

How Deep Sea Fish See In The Dark
May 18, 2019 By Deepa Gopal

silver-spiny.jpg
Image credit WIkipedia/CC

If you have ever walked into a pitch-dark room, you know that your eyes take a few minutes to adjust. You are barely able to make out shapes and have to feel your way around.

Now imagine fishes that live in the deepest, darkest parts of our oceans where hardly any light filters through. Not only do they have to search for food, but also avoid becoming prey.

A recent study has shown that some species of deep sea fish might, in fact, be endowed with color vision, and able to recognize other bioluminescent creatures that live in our ocean's Twilight Zones!

How did these fishes that have never seen light develop the ability to see?

How We See Color
Let's begin with a look at how our human eyes perceive color.
light-eye.jpg
Image credit askabiologist.asu.edu

When the light that is reflected off of objects (such as a lemon) enters our eyes, it hits a region known as the retina. Here it activates certain photoreceptor cells called cones and rods. Cones play a part under bright-light conditions and help us recognize color, while rods help us recognize shapes in low light conditions.

While we have about 120 million rods, there are 6 to 7 million cones in just 0.3-millimeter area of our retina! Of these cone cells, 64% respond to red light, 32% to green light and 2% to blue light. The yellow color wavelength from the lemon triggers different combinations of cone cells, which send electrical messages to our brains via the optic nerve. Our brain decodes these impulses and detects the color yellow.

Both rods and cones contain proteins known as opsins. While cones in human eyes have three kinds of opsins (called photopsin), rods only have one opsin known as rhodopsin.

Eyesight In Deep Sea Fish
Bufoceratias.jpg
A bioluminescent anglerfish; Image credit
Wikipedia/CC

Researchers noticed that deep sea fish actually lack the genes needed to create cones. Surprisingly, their rod cells had evolved and produced several opsins that helped them distinguish color in the dark!

Of the more than 100 species of deep sea fish that were analyzed, three species were found to have several rod opsins. The discovery of 38 rod opsins in the silver spiny fish astounded scientists. They believe that rods evolved to capture faint daylight as well as the blue and green colors of bioluminescent creatures found at these vast depths.

Scientists did not test the eyesight of these fishes directly. That's because deep sea fishes have evolved to withstand the extreme pressure, coldness, and darkness found a mile below the ocean surface. Bringing these fish out of their environment would simply kill them. To test their theory, scientists injected the silver spiny fish's genes into bacteria and generated rod opsins that they then tested in the lab for sensitivity to light.

Fascinating how much we are still learning about this magical world around us, isn't it!

And this one about why most deep sea fish are red in color:

Why are so many deep-sea animals red in color?

Red light does not reach ocean depths, so deep-sea animals that are red actually appear black and thus are less visible to predators and prey.

[...]

Sunlight contains all of the colors of our visible spectrum; these colors combined together appear white. Red light has the longest wavelength and, therefore, the least amount of energy in the visible spectrum. Wavelength decreases and energy increases as you move from red to violet light across the spectrum in the following order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet.

As light wavelength decreases from red to blue light, so does the ability of light to penetrate water. Blue light penetrates best, green light is second, yellow light is third, followed by orange light and red light. Red light is quickly filtered from water as depth increases and red light effectively never reaches the deep ocean.

Color is due to the reflection of different wavelengths of visible light. When white light (containing all colors on the spectrum) strikes an object, some wavelengths are absorbed; wavelengths that are not absorbed reflect back to our eyes. That is what we perceive as the color of that object. When struck by white light, a red fish at the surface reflects red light and absorbs all other colors and thus appears red. However, the deeper you and the fish go, the less red the fish will appear, because there is less and less red light to reflect off of the fish. At 100 meters, red light does not penetrate and, at this depth, a red fish is difficult, if not impossible to see. Instead, the fish appears blackish because there is no red light to reflect at that depth, and the fish absorbs all other wavelengths of color.

In the twilight zone, there are numerous animals that are black or red. At depth, these animals are not visible. The black animals absorb all colors of light available and the red animals appear black as well since there is no red light to reflect and their bodies absorb all other available wavelengths of light. Thus, in the deep ocean, red and black animals predominate.

Since the color blue penetrates best in water, there simply are not that many blue animals in the midwater regions of the ocean – their entire bodies would reflect the blue light and they would be highly visible to predators.

So where am I going with all this? Well lets see if I can figure it out, or at least try to :umm:

I was wondering about what Keit said, that the monitor is like "reality "separating"/"one step removed" factor. And some people are able to disregard this separation and see it as it would appear in reality, and some see it just like it is on the screen."

So If the monitor is absorbing some level of red light (pink being a pale shade of red) to create the illusion that shoes are grey to apparently most people so far, just like how it is in the darkness of the deep sea that red is the predominant color of marine life due to red light not being to penetrate such great water depths and thus both predator and prey have "intelligently selected" this color so as to appear as black, is the monitor kind of like acting like a water filter to the red light? It is interesting that the shoe laces that are supposed to be white appear to most as aquamarine (something close to this shade of blue), and blue according to the article above, is supposed to be the one color that best penetrates in water.

So the monitor hypotheses playing some sort of "reality "separating"/"one step removed" function that is similar in a way to filtering/absorbing of the red light out of the white light but not the blue light in the great depths of the ocean, making the pink of the shoe appear grey and the white appear aquamarine/etc., and how some people bypass this hypothesized filter, well, I am not too certain. I would speculate on what others have mentioned already about some people perhaps having a 4th cone in the eyes (Tetrachromacy) that enables them to be more sensitive to seeing reds and whites even through such "filters" like our devices' screens. Hmm, although I think, and feel it a bit in the gut, that I am definitely missing many things in this speculation, things having to do with one's level of Knowledge and Awareness gradually changing one's machine to be able to see both the real colors and the illusion of the colors through the "filter" at the same time in reality; similar perhaps to what Approaching Infinity also speculated above, I think. Perhaps working towards the balance of the right and left brain hemispheres would allow for such a perceptual capability to blossom?

Well it is just speculation at this point, but yeah, those of you who might hypothetically already have this speculated ability, well I have one thing to say to you unseen fellows: :-P But at the same time, thank you for honouring our Free Will and throwing us some "food for thought" here and there to get the networking juices flowing. 🥰

Anyways, so I guess, for those very few who mentioned that they saw the actual pink and white colors of the shoes behind their monitors/phone screens, and for those who the next day or less saw the actual colors as well when they originally saw grey/beige and light blue/etc, and for those who like myself still see the same thing more or less as originally mentioned, well if we were present in the same lighting environment as the shoes, would be all see the same colors? The pink and the white? I currently think perhaps so, but some faster than others maybe, since our eyes/brains would have an easier time to adjust in the actual environment to the lights then through a device's screen, or so I think.

One last thing I recall in the sessions having to do with the color blue and beyond the color blue in the color spectrum:

May 31, 1995
Frank, Laura, SV
[...]
(L) Our ability to see or perceive, blue, according to some researchers, is very recent. Natives who live on the Blue Nile describe it as brown, Homer described the Mediterranean as the "Wine dark sea," and Aristotle said there were only three colors in the rainbow: red, yellow and green. Is this true, that the human race, in general, has only recently become able to see blue?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Is this a reflection of the spirituality of the color blue?

Q: (L) Obviously there are colors beyond blue, and as we attain greater spirituality, we will be able to see them as well, is this true?

Q: (SV) When you look at a rainbow you can see a shimmer or haze on either side. (L) Could it be that as a result of constant straining to see at higher frequencies, some people's eyes suffer?

A: Maybe.

Q: (L) Could this be a problem with people in spiritual or personal development?

A: Maybe.

Hmm, and blue light penetrates the farthest in the deep sea and our eyes have the least cones for blue light, only 2% "out of 6 to 7 million cones in just 0.3-millimete area of our retina" according to the first article above. Well if what the C's said above in the bold is true, that having the least blue cones kind of make sense and I guess we "get" more through spiritual or personal development? Then there was what RA mentioned about the blue spectrum, as I recall another forum member shared quotes of back in 2014. Here are the quotes he shared that I found interesting reading for the first time maybe a 3-4 weeks ago, roughly:

Session 33

RA: The violet ray of the positive fourth-density will be tinged with the green, blue, indigo triad of energies. This tinge may be seen as a portion of a rainbow or prism, as you know it, the rays being quite distinct.

The violet ray of fourth-density negative has in its aura, shall we say, the tinge of red, orange, yellow, these rays being muddied rather than distinct.

Session 34

RA: The indigo ray, though precious, is that ray worked upon only by the adept, as you would call it. It is the gateway to intelligent infinity bringing intelligent energy through. This is the energy center worked upon in those teachings considered inner, hidden and occult, for this ray is that which is infinite in its possibilities. As you are aware, those who heal, teach, and work for the Creator in any way which may be seen to be both radiant and balanced are those activities which are indigo ray.

Session 47

RA: The indigo-ray body which we choose to call the etheric body is, as we have said, the gateway body. In this body form is substance and you may only see this body as that of light as it may mold itself as it desires.

RA: The indigo-ray body may be used by the healer once the healer becomes able to place its consciousness in this etheric state.

RA: The first body which activates itself upon death is the “form-maker” or the indigo-ray body. This body remains—you have called it the “ka”—until etherea has been penetrated and understanding has been gained by the mind/body/spirit totality. Once this is achieved, if the proper body to be activated is green-ray, then this will occur.

RA: The normal procedure, given an harmonious passage from yellow-ray bodily manifestation, is for the mind and spirit complex to rest in the etheric or indigo body until such time as the entity begins its preparation for experience in an incarnated place which has a manifestation formed by the etheric energy molding it into activation and manifestation. This indigo body, being intelligent energy, is able to offer the newly dead, as you would term it, soul a perspective and a place from which to view the experience most recently manifested. Is there a short query we may answer at this time?

Session 54

RA: The positively oriented entity will be transmuting strong red-ray sexual energy into green-ray energy transfers and radiation in blue and indigo and will be similarly transmuting selfhood and place in society into energy transfer situations in which the entity may merge with and serve others and then, finally, radiate unto others without expecting any transfer in return.

So maybe this speculation about balance of the left and right brain thingy helping to see past the "filter" is not such a wild speculation?

I see pinkish grey and aquamarine. I think like a couple others have mentioned this is like one of those visual optical illusions. The mind can critically correct what it sees based on what it knows "should" be there. In this case, what should be there are white and pink:

It has received more than 45,000 comments

It's like when you're wearing blueblockers or any color-tinted glasses. White things may look orange, or blue, etc. But you "know" they're white based on the contrast you habitually see using ordinary vision under optimal lighting conditions.

I showed my wife the original image Joe posted and she sees pink and white. I showed her this side-by-side and she says the image on the left (the original) looks like the image on the right with a filter over it or a shadow, like what some of you are saying. She says before I showed her the side by side she could see the pink and white shoe on the right in her head, like seeing through the filter.

I personally don't see any pink in the original image, it just looks gray to me. I see the laces and edge of the shoe as a kind of washed out aquamarine or cyan color, but she says she can't see that at all, they just look white to her.

She wonders if women are more likely to be able to see through the filter? Maybe because men are more likely to have color blindness?

I see pinkish grey and aquamarine. I think like a couple others have mentioned this is like one of those visual optical illusions. The mind can critically correct what it sees based on what it knows "should" be there. In this case, what should be there are white and pink:

It's like when you're wearing blueblockers or any color-tinted glasses. White things may look orange, or blue, etc. But you "know" they're white based on the contrast you habitually see using ordinary vision under optimal lighting conditions.

Looking at the hand that holds the shoe, the grey/aquamarine picture looks like the colour is distorted towards blue shades to me. The hand is greyish too. The pink/white photo is more natural.

It’s interesting that those who saw the shoe colour as pink straight away somehow saw the actual colour despite the blue shade of the entire photograph. Seeing beyond the veil: optical illusion edition 😉

Looking at the hand that holds the shoe, the grey/aquamarine picture looks like the colour is distorted towards blue shades to me. The hand is greyish too. The pink/white photo is more natural.

It’s interesting that those who saw the shoe colour as pink straight away somehow saw the actual colour despite the blue shade of the entire photograph. Seeing beyond the veil: optical illusion edition 😉

Yeah we were just talking about the same thing, when you can see the person's hand it makes the filter obvious, but the original photo Joe posted is cropped so it doesn't show the hand so there's no clue for the brain there. Even with the "hint" of the person's hand and the side-by-side comparison I still see the original as gray with cyan laces, I haven't been able to "see through" the filter.

It's an interesting phenomenon that's for sure!

I downloaded the image and zoomed all the way in on the laces, then she sees the aqua color. As I zoom in and out there's a point where it changes for her from looking white to aqua and then back to white.

Maybe that would be worth trying for those of you who see white laces?

Yeah we were just talking about the same thing, when you can see the person's hand it makes the filter obvious, but the original photo Joe posted is cropped so it doesn't show the hand so there's no clue for the brain there. Even with the "hint" of the person's hand and the side-by-side comparison I still see the original as gray with cyan laces, I haven't been able to "see through" the filter.

It's an interesting phenomenon that's for sure!

I read it on my phone and somehow only read half of the post - and didn’t notice there were more posts afterwards. Bravo for my poor attention to detail 🤦‍♀️🤓

If you're looking at a white sheet of paper through yellow-tinted glasses, what color is the paper? Perhaps it would be best to say that when wearing such glasses, you perceive it as yellow, whereas under normal conditions (i.e. white light) it is white. It is white paper, filtered through yellow so that it is perceived as yellow.

So technically the pink/white people are technically correct in that the shoe itself as an object existing in the world IS pink and white, the same way Neil is white and not purple, regardless of whatever filters he applies to his picture of himself. What's most interesting and weird is, as you say, that some people SEE the picture as pink and white, when those are NOT the colors on the screen. That would be like looking at said picture of Neil and not being able to tell that it has a purple tint... Or looking through yellow-tinted glasses and SEEing white paper. So in that sense, they're wrong.

We're not talking about a shoe 'in real life'. We're talking about a digital image of the shoe after the original colors were changed to something else. In the digital world, those new colors are what are being perceived, in one way or another by different people. I would say that the original colors are completely irrelevant, except for the fact that a very small percentage of people seem to actually see the original colors despite the fact that they have been changed.

in real there is no color and the shape is different :) it's energy, but our brain transform the picture through the image of the third dimension.

I would say that the original colors are completely irrelevant, except for the fact that a very small percentage of people seem to actually see the original colors despite the fact that they have been changed.

I think it's a little relevant because of the people who see the original colors.

We're not talking about a shoe 'in real life'. We're talking about a digital image of the shoe after the original colors were changed to something else. In the digital world, those new colors are what are being perceived, in one way or another by different people. I would say that the original colors are completely irrelevant, except for the fact that a very small percentage of people seem to actually see the original colors despite the fact that they have been changed.

I think the original colors are relevant for exactly that reason: for some reason those original colors are being perceived by some people. That says something. If people were seeing neon orange and lime green, sure, but they're not. There's a reason people are seeing the original colors, and it seems like the answer should probably be looked for in the ways our visual system perceives colors/combinations of color, and how it adapts to certain conditions under which those colors are viewed. And to understand that, we need to know what the original colors are.

As for the portion who see pink/white, it does seem to be very small in this thread, and the only poll I could find online was here: 1/3 say pink/white, 2/3 say teal/gray. Not sure how many responses there were though.

While looking for polls, found this paper, which looked at the similar dress image: The most reasonable explanation of “the dress”: Implicit assumptions about illumination | JOV | ARVO Journals. Will be checking it out later.

The most obvious explanation from color science should be that observers have different implicit assumptions about the illumination in the photo. We show that the perceived color of the dress is negatively correlated with the assumed illumination along the daylight locus. Moreover, by manipulating the observers' assumptions prior to seeing the photo, we can steer how observers will see the colors of the dress. These findings confirm the idea that the perceived colors of the dress depend on the assumptions about the illumination. The phenomenon illustrates the power of unconscious inferences and implicit assumptions in perception.

I've been going back and forth on this one... I think maybe the best would be the most objective: to see the colors as they are in the photo (grey/teal), but to also be able to infer that the actual colors of the shoes are pink and white. But that's just a hunch

Agree, I would probably prefer to see the colors exactly as they are presented to me AND also to be able to adjust my vision and see the original colors at will.

It reminds me of the autostereorgrams where you first see a 2D picture and then you need to adjust your vision so that you could perceive the 3D image on that same the picture.

The ability to tune our perception tools so that they could perceive more details in different modes seems convenient, but it needs to be a conscious tuning, not automatic. It is important to be able to see the image exactly as it is presented, osit.

I would be very curious to know why you think they would be completely irrelevant Joe. If you get the chance, can you please elaborate a bit on why you thought this way? If they are completely irrelevant, then what would be the point of this discussion? I thought the point was to figure out why a minority see through the filters, and some don't, whether it is in the real would lighting right next to the shoes, or digitally. I think I am missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. :-[ 🐵

Agree, I would probably prefer to see the colors exactly as they are presented to me AND also to be able to adjust my vision and see the original colors at will.

It reminds me of the autostereorgrams where you first see a 2D picture and then you need to adjust your vision so that you could perceive the 3D image on that same the picture.

The ability to tune our perception tools so that they could perceive more details in different modes seems convenient, but it needs to be a conscious tuning, not automatic. It is important to be able to see the image exactly as it is presented, osit.

If this is possible, I'm guessing it might come more easily for some than others, but maybe with practice the skill could develop. In the paper I linked to in my last post, they presented the white/gold dress picture under different conditions and were able to change how many people saw the colors. Under one set of conditions, the majority saw it as white/gold. Under the other, the majority saw it as blue/black. While this study seems to be demonstrating automatic tuning, I think it at least leaves the possibility open that the process could come under conscious control, to some degree. But maybe full conscious control would be elusive - akin to trying to force our vision to flip upside down...

Anyways, here are the relevant figures from the paper. First, the photo in two different contexts implying different lighting conditions, then the results showing how the use of of these contexts influences the responses people give:

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.57.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.58.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.59.22 PM.png

What's really interesting to me is that even under these conditions, there are variations - 4 different colors for the dress, and 5 for the stripes.

Anyways, here are the relevant figures from the paper. First, the photo in two different contexts implying different lighting conditions, then the results showing how the use of of these contexts influences the responses people give:

In trying to follow the reasoning of the figure 13, I figured I need to know a bit more about color induction effects. I think this video explains in in simple terms for those curious:

So if this line of thinking is possibly on the right track to figuring out this phenomena, would color induction help to explain why 1/3 see the dress as white and gold and 2/3 as blue and golden brown in figure 1, or the aforementioned shoe colors for that matter? I currently don't think so; you know, now I think this was the point Joe was making and why he said the original colors are completely irrelevant, although I don't think it is completely irrelevant, yet. :-)

What seems to be actually a lot more relevant is the how and why of this discrepancy of color perception, where roughly about 1/3 see it this way, and 2/3's the other way, as AP mentioned based on those poles, or so I think.

So It seems to be more complex the more I think about it. For instance, Seamas wife was able to see both variation with the shoes by zooming in and out of the picture, but she saw the original colors first. I saved the original shoe pic that Joe posted and zoomed into and out of it with Windows 10's native Photos app, and the colors didn't change for me. Perhaps this app doesn't zoom enough? So yeah, it is amazing how some people can bypass the seemingly various selective light absorption effects of the digital "filter" to see the original picture as it was before digital manipulations, and I think this light absorption phenom which has to do with medium that it is going through, if assuming everything else is exactly the same for everyone, devices, etc. etc. is the eyes of our brains itself. So some people's brains are able to absorb and bypass the digital filter effortlessly it seems....and for that, I have no firm idea of how. 🤔

Anyways, to elaborate a bit more on thoughts from the previous post, if we think of it as a digital "manipulation" of the original, and some of us are not even seeing this color manipulation but go straight to seeing the original colors, well, is that not missing something important? I mean, some responded that after a day or less, they were able to see the original colors before the filter; so I think these individual's are in maybe a 'better' shape than others if this was some sort of test in objective perception, so to speak, and I am not certain about this 'test' idea either. But lets say if it is the case, well, then these individuals can first see the color "manipulations" and after a while, see the original state as well; so perhaps, as AP and myself were thinking, this would be the more objective perception: to be able to see both variations (even thought it is not at the same time in this case)?

There was also the mention by myself and Keit that see also see a very faint tinge of pink over the grey and the laces as a shade of light blue; so perhaps we are getting a clue in our perception that something is not right with the picture but not quite are able to remove the veil/digital filter/whatever completely at this point? Well for all I know, maybe Keit has been able to see the original colors as well by now?
Lastly, do some other individuals still/did also see this very faint coating of transparent pink overlaid here and there on the grey on the original viewing?

OK that is enough questions out of me for one day. Back to catching up on reading other things for now.

Back
Top Bottom