Coconut curry

D Rusak

Jedi Council Member
This is an easy recipe I came up with the other night.

1 red onion, sliced
2 tsp butter or ghee
1 inch of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1 package tempeh, cubed (optional- some will disagree on how evil tempeh is. I buy gluten free, this is the only soy product I use as it's fermented. I don't eat meat)
10 oz package sweet potatoes (or 1-2 small sweet potatoes), cubed
1/2 head broccoli, chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
1 tomato, diced
1 can light coconut milk
Spinach- 1 cup frozen or 2 cups fresh
1 can of garbanzo beans with liquid
water, to cover
salt, to taste
chopped cilantro

In a large pot, melt butter/ghee and saute onions for a few minutes. Then add ginger and garlic, stir for another minute. Add spices and stir for 30 seconds to bring out the flavors. Then add tempeh, and brown slightly. You may find that you need to add a little more ghee/butter. After tempeh is browned (couple of minutes), add vegetables to the pot. Stir, cook for a few minutes (5 at most- don't burn anything!) and then add your liquids: one can of coconut milk, the garbanzos (chickpeas) with their liquid, and water. I think I added liquids until it covered 3/4 of the vegetables. Cook for as long as you want (probably at least 10 minutes) and then serve with salt to taste, and chopped cilantro. This is an easy way to use up leftover vegetables, many of the spices used have great health benefits, and coconut is supposed to reduce inflammation. Yay! You can serve this with rice or not. Makes at least 8 servings.

Back
Top Bottom