Cocalero - Evo Morales documentary

Just rented and saw this film which came out last year. Both my girlfriend and I thought it was one of the most uplifting and fun documentaries we'd seen in a loooong time. (Hey, take a break from hollywood psychopaths!)
Evo Morales is just a real 'true human being', an uncompromising man of the earth, with no power-trips, supremely respectful of women and the poor, ordinary peasant folk of his upbringing. The film is a close-up look at his travels with posse and friends in the weeks leading up to his incredible victory in the election for President of Bolivia. He is close friends with Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro, and part of the growing revolutionary return to democratic principles throughout Latin America in reaction to centuries of fascist/imperial domination by European/American pathocracies.
Great music, strong indigenous women, politics as it really is in a "3rd world" country.

One reviewer wrote:
Born out of the U.S. war on drugs, an Aymara Indian named Evo Morales – backed by a troop of coca leaf farmers – travels through the Andes and Amazon in jeans and sneakers, leading a historic bid to become Bolivia’s first Indigenous president.
The filmmakers, granted astonishing up close and personal access to Evo, capture the intimate moments of this controversial figure and his triumphant rise to power. A story of geopolitics, people’s movements, Indigenous culture, and one man’s impressive determination, Cocalero is “a luminous portrait of working people in rare triumph against U.S. imperialism.” (Prairie Miller, WBAI Radio)

Back
Top Bottom