Clown dream

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Last night I dreamt I was in a house with a bunch of people, and their was a clown hunting everyone down one by one and killing them. I managed to witness a few people get taken out by the clown. Then, as I walked in the kitchen I tripped and fell. I looked up at the door in front of me which was closed, and saw the clown peaking through the blinds, smiling at me very menacingly. It was at that point that I decided to book it out of there, but I was paralyzed. I tried getting up but couldn't. That's happened to me in other dreams as well, the weird paralysis. Except once I realized I couldn't move, I decided enough was enough, and made myself wake up. Nevertheless, I woke up to a rapidly beating heart!

This dream has relevance to a current thread, here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6535

Other than that, I have no idea what it means, since I didn't read the clown part in the above thread until today...

I note that there are many people that I knew that have a strange
aversion to clowns. I note that having asked why, most replied that
they were not normal even when faces are comical, happy-face like
but non-human, nevertheless. When my child (5 years old?) was in
Disneyland, and met with one of the Disney characters, she was hiding
behind me then freaked out when it approached her but cannot recall
that character. I noticed that other kids her age did not have that same
aversion. Strange indeed. I guess it is the unknown of the non-human
character's intent that might be a clue and was part of our built-in instincts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9NRJCJXQsM :rolleyes:

From dreammoods.com (may not apply to you, but something to consider):

Paralyzed
To dream that you are paralyzed, may reflect the current state of your body while you are dreaming. During the REM state of sleep you really are immobile and paralyzed. However symbolically, dreaming that you are paralyzed may mean you are feeling helpless or pinned down in some aspect or circumstances of your waking life. You may feel unable to deal with a situation or that you can't do or change anything. Alternatively, you may feel emotionally paralyzed. You may have difficulties in expressing yourself.

*Please see also Immobility.

Immobility
To dream that you are immobile, signifies feelings of being trapped or that you are rigid in your attitudes and decisions.
----------

My note: You think maybe you have some fear you are not confronting? Or some problem that you're afraid to tackle? Or maybe feel oppressed by somebody in your life, or controlled, and you can't seem to stand up to them or get out of the control? Could also mean that your chosen course of action, to run, is not the best one, and maybe you're going against your intuition when you do that in whatever it may be? Just some ideas...

Dant:
I note that there are many people that I knew that have a strange
aversion to clowns.
well... this fear for clowns started for some people I think because of the movie, Stephen Kings IT
and it was released in 1990, after you see this movie, you will never ever look at clowns again, you will start to fear clowns :shock: your entire life.

it-pennywise-howling.jpg

another movie with evil clowns is the B-Movie classic 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' (1988)

i remember seeing it many years ago and hating it, but when i read your post, i was instantly reminded of it.

synopsis:
When a small town is invaded by aliens from outer space who are capturing and killing the townspeople, no one takes them seriously. Why? The aliens all look like circus clowns, use weapons that look clown like, and all have painted on smiles. Only a few of the young people in the town realize the danger and of course no one believes them. Armed with an ice cream truck they try and rescue their friends.
_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095444/

these are some scary looking dudes...
_http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-28870/klowns.htm

Iconoclast said:
another movie with evil clowns is the B-Movie classic 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' (1988)
I've watched that when that first came out on VHS when I was a kid. THAT'S what got me scared of clowns!

*shudders*

Or perhaps it's also related to general exposure to bad clowns. Some clowns are "accidentally" scary - they don't know how to paint a good clown, how to act like a likable and fun clown, how to entertain but not be imposing or creepy, and also how not to scare the crap out of you when you approach them when they're not performing. Some people just suck at being clowns, and when kids are exposed to them, it's easy to get the wrong idea. It's like dolls I think. There are nice friendly looking dolls, and then there are some creepy ones. And combine that with the movie about "Chuky the killer doll" and you can make kids have a fear/aversion to dolls too.

My dad worked as a drummer in a circus for a good while, and when I was between 7 and 9 I got to see the circus often and meet the performers (human and animal alike). The clown there was absolutely my favorite person ever, he was friendly, very good with kids (me at the time), was always willing to entertain or say something silly or funny, not grumpy or creepy or "adult like", at least not with me or any other kids, regardless of whether he was "on the job" or not. He's not like the clown that puts on his clown suit, but if you catch him outside the act he's sipping some drink saying "What the hell do you want kid? The show is over." in an annoyed/grumpy voice. That's the type of person that makes a bad clown, and can REALLY shock a kid who expects the clown to always be a clown. Similarly, some people should never be santa clause for the same reason. I've seen some creepy as all hell santas in malls and on TV etc.

I think it's probably a matter of luck - not running into any of those "not genuine" or just "bad" ones during your childhood. If a kid is supposed to believe the clown is happy and good-natured, it can really be shocking to discover something else. Or if he is happy and good natured but it is all somehow "off", he's faking it, and he's doing a bad job, making everybody nervous.

I think the fear of clown archetype is more psycho-instinctual then it is movie based. I mean, Killer Klowns and IT kinda played off that tangent, instead of creating it.

Perhaps is has something to do with clowns=fun/entertainment and in this world we should be Working, not 'clowning' around, because in the end clowning around will only get you more programs and kill your soul-potential.

osit

btw, the technical term for fear fo clowns is 'Coulrophobia'.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_clowns

But, I hinted that my child had a phobia-event with the "happy" looking clown,
so what's up with that? She has NOT seen "IT" nor other obviously scary looking
clowns but it is *still* scary to HER when it otherwise appears differently to others?
Is it something innate to the psyche of the perceiver?

There's also the psychopathic clown murderer, played by Sid Haig, in Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses:

Corpses2.JPG

I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a phobia about clowns, in fact I don't remember ever dreaming about a clown until this one. That's what made the dream stick out more than anything.

beau, I just wanted to say something about this dream of yours and how I think it may relate to the thread that you indicated and also to my life in general. I decided to search what Gurdjieff and/or Ouspenksy said about clowns and this is what I found:

Ouspensky on Lying said:
(From Ouspensky's Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution, pp. 47-48)

Another prescription, which we must force ourselves to respect from our first step in esoteric work, is added to the rule which prescribes silence. If we observe people who participate in a conversation or general discussion, we will constate that, instead of listening for themselves, in order to learn, and speaking for others, each speaks for himself, and listens to others out of politeness to them. We do not escape this rule. Everybody wants to insert his ideas somewhere, and searches for the most suitable occasion to do this. While waiting for our chance, we listen with patience and more or less attend to what is being said. When a conversation is being led in such a way, it is of course a conversation of the deaf, where we can rarely learn, and where generally we learn nothing. When they separate, each participant takes back the luggage with which he came, with this difference, that this sort of conversation provokes a considerable loss of fine energies.

Lastly, it is firmly recommended to remain earnest in contacts with people like ourselves. This precept demands a comment. Being earnest, in this case, does not mean being morose, still less taciturn. Esoteric work requires a vigour of the mind. What we are asked to do is to maintain a positive emotional attitude within us, and to acquire inner serenity. Man must keep an attitude of benevolence towards all; he must rejoice with the happy, be charitable towards those who suffer, and indifferent to the wicked. He must not play the role of a clown. Much as this may be astonishing, such an attitude is much more harmful to him who is addicted to it than we may think. In reality, it tends to debase everything to the level of triviality and platitude. Clowning, derived from scepticism, is a true opponent to the enthusiasm indispensable for passing through those difficult moments which will never be wanting in esoteric work.

These rules must therefore be observed. That of keeping silent is imperative. Jesus attached great importance to it. So much so, that when expressing it to his disciples, He chose a form of striking brutality. This was to better anchor in their minds the need for preserving the tender and delicate germ of the new life, of real Life, when that germ is just starting to appear in man following his first conscious efforts. Jesus said: 'give not that which is holy unto dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine,' and he indicates the penalty: 'lest they trample them under their feet and turn and rend you.'

Nevertheless, people whose magnetic centres have made their appearance and are developing feel the need to talk about it. 'It is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.' But let them only share their joys and experiences with those who, like them, have undertaken esoteric work. Besides, the rule of keeping silent is not obligatory, except at the beginning of esoteric training. Soon, by virtue of his conscious efforts, man starts to evolve and perceives the futility of most mundane relations. To mix the fruits of evolution with this life is always erroneous.
In the the thread that you have indicated it seems that a few members may have been "clowning" around by actually talking about clowns whereas other members were attemtpting to stay on topic and focus on progression in the work. At the same time, I was talking in such a way that could be made to appear as though I really knew what I was talking about when I clearly know that I do not. So although I may not have been clowning myself, I was definitely lying to myself and others by my appearence to know what I was talking about. From that respect I possibly should have remained silent. In the context of my everyday life outside of this forum, I have found myself taking this newly discovered knowledge and trying to wake other people up to it when, in fact, I should probably remain silent. Since "to mix the fruits of evolution with this life is always erroneous." I'm not sure if this is the correct application but it seems to make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom