Church tax in Germany question.

Michal

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
This question is directed especially to friends in Germany.

I am currently in Germany (Bremen) and will stay here up to the next midyear 2014.
I would like to know whether it is possible that the church tax that my company is paying here may benefit FOTCM?
I am currently paying it to the Catholic church. I was thinking about it for quite a long time and I think that I am ready for excommunication :).
I am serious about it but want to know if it makes any material difference?
I know how much my company is paying on this tax so in my opinion it is quite a sum.

Any advise?

Hi Mikel,
I was in the same situation in Bremen, back then. The excommunication was an act. I had to go to my community catolic church to make a appointment with the leader priest which was not easy to get because of lack of time from my part. Then I had to colect documents from Poland which was the problematic part for me. Anyway after I had it all together which took me to complete two months. Finally I had a talk with the priest which was giving me hard time about my future and so on. I ignored it ofcorse because I was expecting it to happen. Then my daughter was going to school 1 class and this was catholic elementary school.
The problems started and finally I had to join the church again because of the school.

In your case I don't know how to proceed, but it maybe give you some idea what to do.

I don't pay curch tax because I don't see any reason why I should support the church in any way.

Mikel, it is your decision if you want to further support the church via money or if you think that money might be better spent elsewhere....

Mikel said:
I would like to know whether it is possible that the church tax that my company is paying here may benefit FOTCM?

Definitely not, since FOTCM is not recognized as a church in Germany and not a statutory corporation, which would allow to raise taxes so it goes to other churches.

Mikel said:
I am currently paying it to the Catholic church. I was thinking about it for quite a long time and I think that I am ready for excommunication :).

As Kaigen wrote it may be complicate, but depends as always on many things. Here is a website I used myself for some information, but differs a lot from state to state: _http://www.kirchenaustritt.de/bremen/

But what I don't know or just to make sure, right now your employee is paying these taxes, right? And did you say that you are catholic at your job interview, or is it something everyone at the company pays? Eventually then you should need to talk with your employee about it since he pays it and I guess it is written on your pay slip?

Hi guys,
Thanks.
Gawan that was helpful. So if FOTCM is not recognized as a church than this system of church tax will not benefit it. That is a pity.

It looks that it was not clear from me but it is not my employee but my employer, my company which gives me job.
I was asked here twice about my religion: once in Einwohnermeldeamt and then in Tax office.
I would like my money goes to the place which i want.

All right than.
Kaigen, I see that You made civil courage act. I like it.

One more thing: if I quit church than this means that the tax I am paying for it, goes to my pocket?

Mikel said:
One more thing: if I quit church than this means that the tax I am paying for it, goes to my pocket?

Yes, if you quit church, the money that was subtracted before will then instead be added to your salary.

Mikel said:
Hi guys,
Thanks.
Gawan that was helpful. So if FOTCM is not recognized as a church than this system of church tax will not benefit it. That is a pity.

But if you like you could then donate the money.

Mikel said:
It looks that it was not clear from me but it is not my employee but my employer, my company which gives me job.
I was asked here twice about my religion: once in Einwohnermeldeamt and then in Tax office.

Sorry my fault, you were clear on that I did confuse employer and employee.

Back
Top Bottom