Christianity's "Jewish roots"

Sparrowkin

The Force is Strong With This One
A week ago I started reading a book suggested by Laura, The Controversy of Zion. I am still reading it (it's quite long!) and due to this it's been quite at the forefront of my mind. My son was watching some kids shows on PBS yesterday until the network switched over to the more adult programming, we were busy at play by then and just left the television on. At one point something was said that snapped me to attention, something akin to the pope saying "Christians are Jews, as such we should treat them as brothers." That was a paraphrase, but you get the gist. I could not find anything about this, save for this from a website -http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/07/01/pope-francis-grateful-jews-and-christians-are-strangers-no-more/- and this is a little old, from July. Not sure if this was the same thing or not.
In a meeting of the International Council of Christians and Jews Tuesday, Pope Francis expressed gratitude for the “friendship and mutual understanding” that characterize relations between Christians and Jews throughout the world.

Francis held up the 1965 document Nostra Aetate, from the Second Vatican Council, as a particularly important milestone for Jewish-Christian dialogue, saying that the text “represents a definitive ‘yes’ to the Jewish roots of Christianity and an irrevocable ‘no’ to anti-Semitism.”

He also expressed his pleasure that the group had chosen Rome for its annual meeting, noting that in Rome, we find “the most ancient Jewish community in Western Europe, whose origins can be traced to the time of the Maccabees.” Christians and Jews have lived together in Rome for almost two thousand years, he said, “even though their relations in the course of history have not been without difficulty.”

This year marks the fiftieth anniversary of Nostra Aetate, the landmark Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions. The Pope spoke approvingly of the text, which has borne “rich fruits” in Jewish-Catholic dialogue. “Our fragmented humanity, mistrust and pride have been overcome thanks to the Spirit of Almighty God, in such a way that trust and fraternity between us have continued to grow,” he said.

“We are strangers no more, but friends, and brothers and sisters. Even with our different perspectives, we confess one God, Creator of the Universe and Lord of history,” he said

Ah! Freaky! I know quite well, as does anyone who has perused the OT, that Jesus' many remarks about love thine enemy and whatnot, were in direct response to the Levite decree to utterly destroy thine enemy. In fact almost the entirety of the NT is a reaction and denouncement of the OT, and the "strangers no more" comment of the Pope just does not make sense. The Talmudists have in no way made such a concession. To them, the "stranger" will always be anyone who is not a Jew, and they are seperated from them physically and psychologically in most cases, since birth. Is this a motion of Zionist propaganda? Is it a warning of what will come next? What do you guys think?

Sparrowkin said:
What do you guys think?

I think the current Pope is doing his best to spread and encourage common sense principles like tolerance and respect to whoever he can.

Tolerance is admirable, but notice he is saying they are united in the belief of one universal god, and no mention is made at all of Islam. Considering Muhammad was known for saying basically the same things Jesus said, and Allah is related as a one, universal God doesn't that bother you? And if history really does repeat itself, then this is not a statement of tolerance at all. It sounds more like a rallying call. I really hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom