Chinese "Swedish web-shop" stole my bank card information

@jsf

I have never used my phone for any transactions directly, but I do use it as a hotspot for browsing on my laptop. It is kind of a smartphone and just a regular phone, an NOKIA 8110, and it hasn't much juice or much of an web browser experience anyways.

Then I have an Huawei tablet, but I only use that at my job, connecting with their prepaid WiFi. I did however install Bankid on it about a half year ago through my bank.

My laptop is just a few months old, a gaming laptop from Acer. I have Kaspersky Security cloud, which is free, as security. And I have only installed the Opera browser, steam ( and Wolfenstein Youngblood) and Kaspersky on it, nothing else except the software that comes with the computer.

I like to scroll through my spam folder but I never open any links within the messages. I do that because I get the weirdest spam sometimes and just have to read the obvious deceit within them. Often it is about a huge amount of money for me to collect through some bank and things like that.

How do I know if I am being keylogged?

Last week I filled in the chargeback paper form and it was sent to the bank along with additional proof. Shortly after I got a message from the bank saying they will investigate the matter. But in accordance with MasterCard's regulations, they have to wait for time limits, which means that the case can take up to 60 days.

I am going to be more careful how I use my card in the future. It should have been obvious, if I had looked through this false shop and seen the bad signs, and that any detail that suggests something isn't right - not to give any bank details away.

It seems the web-shop doesn't exist anymore or the site can't be reached. Anyways, I got all the money back two days ago (through chargeback). :wow:

Here in Portugal we can create a temporary 'virtual' credit card, using a smartphone app or online banking.
This virtual credit card is issued with a unique number and ccv code, validation date and maximum value to use at your choice (from 5€).
You never have to give your physical card number and you don't even need to have a physical credit card.
Just issue a vcard when you need it.
It is associated with one bank account but much safer than traditional cards and it is ideal to make online purchases.
You can then cancel the card at anytime after you have used it or if you changed your mind.
Everyone should use this system where it is available.

It seems the web-shop doesn't exist anymore or the site can't be reached. Anyways, I got all the money back two days ago (through chargeback). :wow:
That's a good ending. I hope you stop using debit cards in the future.

Here in Portugal we can create a temporary 'virtual' credit card, using a smartphone app or online banking.
This virtual credit card is issued with a unique number and ccv code, validation date and maximum value to use at your choice (from 5€).
You never have to give your physical card number and you don't even need to have a physical credit card.
Just issue a vcard when you need it.
It is associated with one bank account but much safer than traditional cards and it is ideal to make online purchases.
You can then cancel the card at anytime after you have used it or if you changed your mind.
Everyone should use this system where it is available.
My bank doesn't offer virtual cards, but I will look into it.

That's a good ending. I hope you stop using debit cards in the future.

I am afraid I can't. How would I pay for anything?

The only difference I can see when reading my bank's web-pages is that the credit card that my bank offer has insurance when buying consumer electronics and white goods. Apart from that everything, (except credit), is the same.

But lets assume one used a credit card, what if the card gets hijacked and drained more than what money is on it, since it has credit? I never have had a credit card, but I assume that's when you can use more money than what is on the card.

Another approach is to have 2 bank accounts if this is possible with your bank. Use one to put most of your money into and don't get a card for it, the other you can leave almost empty and do get a card. Then when you want to make a purchase online transfer a bit of money to the account with the card then make your purchase. This way if your card is hacked or stolen or lost no one can take much with it.

Back
Top Bottom