Chickpeas and Cavalo Nero

go2

Dagobah Resident
We are growing cavalo nero in the backyard garden this winter. Tuscan kale, as it
is known in North American, is a member of the Brassica family. The kales are
very cold resistant and can be picked in the snow. The deep blue green leaves are
have been cultivated for thousands of years filling a niche of a nutritious, easy
to grow green than thrives in cold weather. I pick it and remove the stem with
a sharp utility knife and then roll the leaves and sliver them before steaming for
about 20 minutes. It is delicious with a little olive oil and salt. I often steam it
with Chinese cabbage for the contrast of color, texture, and flavor. I put the Chinese
cabbage in the steamer after the black cabbage has been steaming for ten minutes
to avoid over steaming the tender Chinese cabbage.

Chickpeas have been used by mankind for thousands of years as a
valuable source of protein and a high fiber carbohydrate. They require several hours of
cooking time at a low boil. I prepare the chickpeas in advance of steaming the black cabbage.
When I start the steamer I sauté the chickpeas in olive oil, salt, and freshly ground cumin seed
in a black iron skillet at medium heat.

When the black cabbage is steamed for twenty minutes I let it drain for a few minutes and
then stir it into the chickpeas sautéing in the frying pan. I let the ingredients cook for a few
more minutes to blend the flavors. I had a bowl for lunch today and four hours later I am
energetic and not hungry as the digestive benefits of the cumin, with the slow digestion of
the high fiber chickpeas and kale feed the body for many hours.

I would like to add that chickpeas store in a closed container for many years and make
an excellent survival food. When combined with cavalo nero it is balanced healthy meal;
nutritious, delicious, cheap, and easy to prepare.

go2,

That sounds delicious! I'm a fan of both kale and chickpeas. I've tried growing the kale, but the last time the worms got to the leaves before I could. I did have a bucket of chickpeas in my basement, but I went through them fast. This reminds me that I should order some more.

Do you soak the chickpeas at all before the slow boil? The reason I ask is that I've read it is necessary to soak most legumes and then drain off the soaking water to avoid indigestion.

Hi Ryan,

I don't soak the chickpeas. Use a cup of chickpeas and four cups of water. Boil the chickpeas
to a slow boil for about three hours or until soft. Drain the excess water. I haven't noticed any
digestion problems with chickpeas. Cumin is known as a digestive aid and I like the flavor.

The kales are eaten by slugs and cabbage worms. I catch the slugs with a flashlight and eliminate them
hand to hand. Sluggo and various baiting schemes don't work for me and I don't like Deadline which
is effective but very poisonous. I used to use it to protect Hostas before I gave up the Hosta habit.
The cabbage worms are best controlled with a butterfly net. They are the larval stage of the little white
cabbage butterfly. It is easiest to nip that problem in the bud. The best remedy for pests is fast growing
healthy plants, although even that hasn't worked with miner flies on beets and chard. I may have to
use a gauze cover. The winter garden is a special treat, as fresh food is expensive or hard to find in the stores.

I wonder if a gardening thread would be of interest to the forum. What do you think, moderators?

I wonder if a gardening thread would be of interest to the forum. What do you think, moderators?

yes please moderators...a child board like recipes maybe??

our gardens could be our ''official''place of worship/temple where we practice FOTCM
like druids in oakgroves

Yes, I agree there's a few of us gardeners out there. I've put my gardening posts either in here under "Diet and health" or the sandbox under "What's on your mind".

Back
Top Bottom