Unusual behaviour in animals, and our pets

French Marigold said:
Hi everyone

I didnt know where to put this post. Had tried to start it on the posting about the Rare Black Indigo Snake but no bites ha...ha...I have a terrifying snake phobia and shouldnt be concerning myself with this but I cant help but wonder.

Does anyone have any input regarding the many recent discoveries of snakes being found in the UK, here are the most recent two on Sott net:

www.sott.net/article/266278-Warden-finds-6ft-snake-on-roadside-Colchester-UK

http://www.sott.net/article/266277-Disco-the-snake-handed-into-nightclub-after-being-found-in-street-in-Dumfries-Scotland

I wonder if these reptiles can sense the change in the vibration of the planet or humans?

I researched a little on the web and found a study done on snakes regarding vibration and hearing (they are actually deaf)

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/2/331

The conclusion on their study is as follows:

"Snakes would therefore be expected to have very poor pressure hearing and generally be insensitive to airborne sound, whereas the connection of the middle ear bone to the jaw bones in snakes should confer acute sensitivity to substrate vibrations."

"From this we conclude that pythons, and possibly all snakes, lost effective pressure hearing with the complete reduction of a functional outer and middle ear, but have an acute vibration sensitivity that may be used for communication and detection of predators and prey."

I would be interested to hear any comments about this.

None of these snakes are native to the UK and the increasing number of sightings of them is due to the increasing number of people keeping them. Snakes are incredible escape artists and many people are learning this the hard way. These stories to me are an indication of the explosion in popularity of reptile pets, their decrease in price and increase in availability, and in conjunction with this the number if irresponsible keepers. They are behaving in a way which is to be expected - looking for places with adequate warmth which are not likely to be found outside in the UK. The snake in the first story, for example, was incorrectly identified by the so called 'experts' and is actually Hydrodynastes gigas - a species which I keep and is native to Brazil. It's now dead where a North american species would maybe have survived the low temperatures. It is also mildly venomous and probably shouldn't be sold to just anybody, but is now widely available because so many people are breeding privately.

This is also the case with all the stories of pythons we have seen recently, none of which are native to the placese they were seen. So that's the 'mechanism' by which these stories have increased. This of course in no way precludes the possibility that they represent a symbolic communication about the presence psychopaths among us.

French Marigold said:
I wonder if these reptiles can sense the change in the vibration of the planet or humans?

I don't know about that, but a Ranger did tell me that several different kinds of southern snakes are moving up here due to the massive flooding in the lowlands. Their habitats are literally being washed away, so their migration at least has something to do with Earth changes. The Ranger even noted how our climate is changing, and how we're having MUCH warmer winters in the mountains then he remembers from his childhood. Of course he chalked it up to "Global Warming" but there's clearly more to it than that.

It does strike me a bit odd that animals do behave a bit strangely imo. First the escapes of snakes, then elephants attacking a safari tour or a man, plus several killings cause of animals (two in German in one week) and cow elephants trying to kill or killed their kids and one cried:

http://www.sott.net/article/266546-Baby-elephant-in-China-cant-stop-crying-after-being-stomped-by-mom

http://www.sott.net/article/264718-Large-snake-discovered-in-Leicester-garden-pond-UK

http://www.sott.net/article/265729-Escaped-snake-spotted-outside-home-in-Watford-UK

http://de.sott.net/article/11968-Fluchtiger-Elefant-erschlug-franzosischen-Mann-mit-Russel (escaped circus elephant knocks down french citizen with trunk)

http://de.sott.net/article/12031-Biss-ins-Genick-Tiger-totet-Pfleger-im-Zoo-von-Munster (Tiger kills animal husbandry in Munster, Germany)

http://de.sott.net/article/12027-Bulle-greift-Tierpfleger-an-und-totet-ihn (breeding bull kills animal husbandry in Germany)

Not to mention the spooked baboons in Emmen zoo,
http://www.sott.net/article/264624-Spooked-baboons-baffle-Dutch-zoo-in-Emmen
And there were also couple of reports in Russian media about bears being spotted and shot in the middle of the city. Add to this an increasing number of mass animal deaths, and we may be witnessing how the ongoing changes affect the animal world.

Maybe some of them react to the EM radiation, or some other cosmic influences, earthquakes, outgassing, etc. And maybe there are other changes going on that cause animals to act in an unusual way. There are so many possibilities, including symbolic and paranormal ones. They are an integral part of this planet's ecosystem, so what ever is going on is being reflected in their behavior. Or, so it seems.

Keit said:
Maybe some of them react to the EM radiation, or some other cosmic influences, earthquakes, outgassing, etc. And maybe there are other changes going on that cause animals to act in an unusual way. There are so many possibilities, including symbolic and paranormal ones. They are an integral part of this planet's ecosystem, so what ever is going on is being reflected in their behavior. Or, so it seems.

Perhaps the EM radiation, cosmic influences or other changes you mention are affecting certain genes or group dynamics in the animal kingdom? That's to say, parallel to the increased social unrest exhibited by humans, a similar type of manifestation taking place with animals?

Drudge Report said:
HORROR: Rat Attacks Boy Sleeping in Bed...

'Blood Everywhere'...

_http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Boy-Bitten-Rat-Sleeping-Brooklyn-Apartment-Bite-Marks-Blood-274982511.html said:
Monday, Sep 15, 2014 • Updated at 12:37 PM EDT

A Brooklyn mother says she and her 3-year-old son are still traumatized after she found the boy covered in bite marks and blood in his bed from what she believes was a rat attack.

"There was blood all over his pillow," said Marilyn Abreu, who lives in a Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment with her son.

The boy had open wounds across his face, neck and feet. Abreu believes he was bitten by a rat or several rats while he slept on Aug. 21.

"It wasn't no scratches, it was the actual teeth," she said.

What's worse, Abreu said, is her son is a special-needs child who rarely speaks and likely could not cry out for help.

"I"m right here in the next room, and I didn't hear nothing. That's what hurts me most," she said.

The boy, Nathaniel, was taken to two different hospitals, where doctors who examined him also believed he was bitten by rats, documents show.

The apartment sits above a closed subway entrance that has been infested with rats for years, according to Abreu, and she said they're now chewing through her walls.

She's complained about the vermin, and the building management company has brought in an exterminator, documents show, but the rats only gnaw their way through again, Abreu said.

Other neighbors in the building are fed up with the condition of the building, too.

"My cat killed one rat in front of my door," said one man. "It's ridiculous, I call Wavecrest all the time, but no one calls back."

Wavecrest Management did bring in an exterminator after Nathaniel was bitten, documents show, and pest remediation treatments can be seen in the kitchen.

Records from the 311 city hotline also show a complaint on Aug. 21 was resolved eight days later, but Abreu said she still hears rats in the walls and her son is now afraid to go to sleep.

"I'm scared," she said. "And my son, he doesn't want to sleep in his bed."

Abreu wants to maintain her rent-stabilized rate with the current building management company, and is on a mission to be relocated to another building.

Calls to Wavecrest were not returned Friday.
:(

(Another related thread: Changes in behaviour animals/pets)

Another one today on sott : http://www.sott.net/article/285812-Hunt-on-for-man-eater-leopard-after-2-killed-in-Alirajpur-India

"Hunt on for man-eater leopard in Alirajpur - A man-eater leopard is on prowl in the area and this was second death due to its attack in a week. On September 3, a 12-year-old boy was killed along with his goat at a place located 8 km away from Chhoti Jwari village probably by the same leopard. In the last year six people have been killed in leopard attacks." :O

Considering the recent articles on the strange behaviour of bears/coyotes and the like, i came across two articles today which may continue the theme of animals behaving strangely.

First is a surfer who has both arms bit off by a great white, the second is apparently 'rare footage' of sharks fighting each other.
Thursday 2 Oct 2014 3:16 pm

https://youtu.be/KB_Mqinu2iY?rel=0
Surfer loses both his arms in attack by great white sharkSean Pollard (Picture: facebook)

A 23-year-old man has lost part of both of his arms after being attacked by a shark.

Sean Pollard, of Bunbury, Australia, was bitten by the shark – believed to be a 4.5-metre great white – while surfing with his girlfriend in Wylie Bay, Esperance, according to reports.

A witness said he had lost one arm beneath the elbow and another below the wrist.

He also suffered lacerations to his legs, the witness said.

The beach was immediately closed.

A 4.5 metre long great white shark was later caught by WA fisheries and was expected to be killed once permission is given from the federal government.
(Google Map)(Google Map)

Malcolm Heasman, president for Esperance, said: ‘I don’t know if he was a holiday-maker or if he has been living in Esperance for some time.

‘There has been some increased (shark) activity out in Wylie Bay over several weeks.

‘I got a phone call from someone a fortnight ago … that there had been some increased shark activity.

‘There has been something ongoing there for a while, we don’t know what it is.’

A shark was spotted just days before the attack on September 21 at West Beach Dalyup near Esperance.

Mr Pollard’s family have been notified of the attack.

Shark Scrap
Great White Sharks In Epic Fight Caught On Video
The Huffington Post | By Ed Mazza

Posted: 10/01/2014 12:10 am EDT Updated: 10/01/2014 12:59 am EDT

Youtube posted 30th September

https://youtu.be/MkWTVwJEQ7c?rel=0
It's a shark-eat-shark world out there.

A 16-foot-long great white shark was recently caught on video attacking another, smaller, great white in waters about 50 miles off the Australian shore, according to a clip posted on YouTube.

"The larger animal survived the encounter but the smaller shark has not been sighted since," the description reads.

“The day where the shark attacked the other was surreal. I asked the dive master and skipper of the boat what would happen if a smaller shark got in the way of a larger shark," shark watcher Adam Malski, who recorded the footage, told the Telegraph. "The skipper responded, 'The big shark would take the smaller one down.'"

Seconds later, they saw that very scenario unfold, and caught the whole thing on video.

The larger shark has been nicknamed Gilbert.

(h/t ITV)

I've been noticing the crazy amount of strange animal behavior on sott lately. The wild animal attacks, the domestic animal attacks, etc. And it's very interesting, because as silly as it may sound, I had forgotten our neighbors even had a dog. Only knew it existed because I had seen it a few times in the past. And lately it's been barking a lot, especially during the night. It just barks randomly at times, sometimes a few nights in a row, then goes quiet for a few days, just to go back to barking. This probably sounds very far-fetched, but it just struck my mind as curious. Could it be that the dog has become aware of whatever is that is happening with the world? Or have I just become aware of the barking dog, due to the fact that I've been reading about it on sott lately? Either way, I thought it was interesting.

SMM said:
Keit said:

Perhaps the EM radiation, cosmic influences or other changes you mention are affecting certain genes or group dynamics in the animal kingdom? That's to say, parallel to the increased social unrest exhibited by humans, a similar type of manifestation taking place with animals?

Didn't realise there was a thread devoted to strange animal behaviour - and i did search! -so apologies for starting another. Anyway, i posted about sharks behaving badly here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36186.msg525874.html#msg525874 'First is a surfer who has both arms bit off by a great white, the second is apparently 'rare footage' of sharks fighting each other.'

What got me thinking, after Heimdallr posted: video from 3 weeks ago of a pack of orcas attacking a tiger shark, i thought about the pack animal that Orcas are and (from what i understand) Sharks being solitary predators, not unlike psychopaths. So is it symbolic that the main predator of the oceans is, as per the comments, behaving a tad more aggressive than usual? Comment from the shark attack was:
‘There has been some increased (shark) activity out in Wylie Bay over several weeks.

‘I got a phone call from someone a fortnight ago … that there had been some increased shark activity.

‘There has been something ongoing there for a while, we don’t know what it is
.’

I would expect this isn't the first time Orcas have had a tussle with a shark, and two sharks fighting is probably not too out of the ordinary. But i find the symbolism of them pushing the tiger shark away, as a team, and that the sharks are turning on each other and/or becoming more daring, as per the shark attacks, interesting.

So i can't be sure whether their is a correlation, and i'm hesitate to accuse sharks of being the psychopaths of the sea ;) but i thought i'd mention it.

Rather than add this separately in the 'suggest an article' section, i figured it would be tidier to log them here:

Since the dog had only been with the owners for 24hours, we can't know it's training or background, but a husky? If it had been mistreated though, it wouldn't be so surprising. The images are faifly horrific so i'll only post one, the rest can be found on the page.

_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2815616/Schoolgirl-12-left-horrific-scars-friend-s-new-dog-suddenly-attacked-tore-chunks-face.html

Scarred for life: Schoolgirl, 12, needed 50 stitches after friend's dog tore chunks out of her cheek while they watched telly together

Georgia Sigourney, 12, needed 50 stitches after her face was mauled by dog
She was sat watching X Factor at a friend's house when she nudged the dog
Siberian Husky then lunged at her face and tore at her cheeks and mouth
Her father Chris said she could have been killed or blinded in the attack
Police seized the dog which had only been with its new owners for 24 hours

By Jenny Awford for MailOnline

Published: 11:04, 31 October 2014 | Updated: 12:50, 31 October 2014

Georgia Sigourney, 12, has been left with horrific scars after her face was brutally mauled by a friend's new Siberian Husky

A 12-year-old girl has been left with horrific scars and narrowly avoided being blinded after her face was brutally mauled by a friend's new Siberian Husky.

Georgia Sigourney was lying on the floor at her friend's house watching X Factor when she accidentally nudged the dog, causing it to tear the flesh around her mouth and cheeks.

The schoolgirl ran screaming in tears with blood pouring down her face from the house in Orton Goldhay, Peterborough, after the animal attacked.

Her father Chris, 34, said: 'It's horrendous, I was absolutely devastated. She's very upset and scared of dogs now. She's really nervous.

'It's just started to sink in. She's a pretty girl and she's obviously worried how she's going to look.

'If it was just a bit lower down it could have killed her or if it was a bit higher up she could have been blinded.

'It is horrible to say but she is lucky to have it where it is. She really is lucky to be alive when you think about it.'

He said that Georgia was sitting on the floor with the dog asleep behind her.

She then stood up and nudged the dog, which suddenly flipped and clamped its jaw down on her face.

Mr Sigourney said: 'She screamed and screamed. Her friend just locked herself in the bathroom so she was alone with the dog.'

Georgia was rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, where she was put on a drip and given 31 external stitches and 20 internally.

She is finding it difficult to eat because of the pain of opening her mouth and has to drink through a straw.
She was sat on the floor at her friend's home when she accidentally nudged the dog
It then lunged at her face and started to tear the flesh around her mouth and cheeks

She was sat on the floor at her friend's home when she accidentally nudged the dog, causing it to lunge at her face and tear the flesh around her mouth and cheeks

This is believed to be the dog that attacked Georgia. A member of her friend's family posted this picture of the Siberian Husky, saying: 'We got a new dog today, love her'

'It's ruined her life. This is going to haunt her for the rest of her life even if she was really brave at the time,' said Mr Sigourney.

'I want to say thank you to the doctors because they pretty much pieced her face back together.

Police have seized the dog which had only been been with its new owners for 24 hours.

Mr Sigourney said his daughter's friend had posted on Facebook that day saying 'this is our new dog Dakota'.

'But now they are claiming it's not their dog and have given it to police to destroy,' he added.

'They only live two minutes down the street. My daughter said she and her friend had been left alone in the house for two hours.'
Georgia's father Chris (left) said his daughter, pictured with her brother Callum, is lucky to be alive
+3

Georgia's father Chris (left) said his daughter, pictured with her brother Callum, is lucky to be alive

'We have two dogs of our own and Georgia knows how to behave around animals. She's never been involved in an incident before.

'We are just leaving the police to deal with it. I just want to warn other people to be careful. Do not leave your dogs alone with children because they can get hurt.'

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Police said: 'The dog has been seized by police.

'We are awaiting advice from the dangerous dogs officer as to what should happen to it.'

The family who owned the dog refused to comment on the incident.
1414756243235_Image_galleryImage_Picture_taken_from_Facebo.JPG

1414753188366_wps_17_Georgia_Sigourney_12_with.jpg

Ok, so they're bugs, not animals. And the speculation is over whether these have been encouraged due to the bizarre weather patterns.

These Swarming Lady Bugs Take Over Towns to Residents' Dismay

PHOTO: Townspeople in Western Romania are in distress over the invasion of lady bugs that have swarmed their homes and streets.

HT_romania_ladybugs_3_sk_141107_4x3_992.jpg

HT_romania_ladybugs_6_sk_141107_4x3_992.jpg

HT_romania_ladybugs_1_sk_141107_4x3_992.jpg

HT_romania_ladybugs_5_sk_141107_4x3_992.jpg

HT_romania_ladybugs_4_sk_141107_4x3_992.jpg

Nov 7, 2014, 12:12 PM ET
By JOHN FISCHER via Good Morning America

_
http://abcnews.go.com/International/swarming-lady-bugs-towns-residents-dismay/story?id=26759572

Townspeople in Western Romania are in distress over the invasion of lady bugs that have swarmed their homes and streets.
Courtesy Televiziunea Romana

A swarm of ladybugs in western Romania has grown into a full blown-invasion, and there's nothing cute about it.

Villagers throughout Arad County can be founding sweeping piles of the red insects from carpets and rugs with thousands more spread out across walls, floors, sinks and drains.

Experts there told Romania-Insider.com that the summer rainfall season may be the reason for the invasion.

John Losey, an associate professor for the Department of Entomology at Cornell University, says lush environments often attract many insects, including plant lice called aphids, which ladybugs prey on.

"A good year for plants is a good year for aphids and a good year for aphids is a good year for lady bugs," he told ABC News.

Lady bugs are often beneficial in communities, helping to protect crops by eating pests that ruin them and may be taking up spaces in homes where they can hibernate, Losey added.

"They're cued in more and more into how long the day is," he said. "As the days get shorter, they know winter is coming."

Losey is the director for the Lost Lady Bug project, an organization dedicated to protecting and preserving lady bug species. He says people can often get rid of lady bugs by vacuuming them up and disposing of them outside.

Mayor Mircea Jichici of Lipova, a town in Arad County, told Romania-Insider.com his town had never seen such a high number.

“The forest is close to the town and that’s where they come from,” he said.

The dog of my parent friend seems to behave a bit strange since two weeks. This is a mature dog, 15/16 years old I think. They regularly go with him in the forest to walk and he is free to go where he want but he's usually always not very far. Now he seems to completely liberate himself. He does not responding to call and go far in the forest, coming back only one half hour later. Neighbourhood's dog seem to behave the same. Location of this is the centre of France.

Perhaps an increase or change on the surface of the region. Just to note down.

It's probably worth noting here that Europe harbours the disease Rabies, so if you have an animal whose behaviour is not normal it would be worth checking the symptoms, especially excessive slavering. You don't want to be bitten by a rabid animal.

Back
Top Bottom