Cedarwood essential oil

D Rusak

Jedi Council Member
Recently I have become interested in aromatherapy, and the practical applications of essential oils. I happened to come across some information regarding one oil in particular, that which is extracted from cedar trees. According to some sources, one of its constituents, a chemical substance known as sesquiterpenes, stimulates the limbic system and pineal gland, and increases production of melatonin. Some also claim it shows promise in treating sufferers of autism and ADHD. The only study I could find was one performed by a Dr. Terry Friedmann, which did not come to any statistically significant conclusion, although this may have been due to a small sample size. That study can be found here: _http://inspiredpurpose.wordpress.com/2007/06/13/an-interesting-study-for-adhd/

I am interested in this because it seems like an additional source of increasing melatonin production, and could have similar effects to smoking nicotine. There is also one reference below about an ability to "deprogram misinformation written in the DNA due to trauma, abuse, loss and ancestral and limiting beliefs". I can't find any scientific information that supports this, although it sure sounds nice. Does anyone know anything about this oil, or can make any sense of what I've found? I am most definitely not a chemist and could not make much sense of the studies involving sesquiterpenes that I found (they seemed not immediately relevant, anyway).

Here is some information culled from the web at large:
_aromatherapy4u.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/cedarwood-essential-oil/ said:
CEDARWOOD (Cedrus atlantica)
Here’s some information about one of my favorite oils…
Inhaling the oils of cedarwood increases the ability to think clearly and enhances the awareness needed for effective prayer and meditation. This is because of all the essential oils of the world, Cedarwood contains the highest concentration of sesquiterpenes, which have the ability to pass through the blood-brain barrier and oxygenate the brain directly upon inhalation by way of the nasal passages and the olfactory nerves. It has been suggested that cedarwood oil might prevent senility and Alzheimers disease.
Perhaps this is why the palaces of King David and King Solomon were built of cedar. King Solomon contracted King Hiram to supply all the materials needed (The Cedars of Lebanon) in return for wheat and fine oils for every year as long as it took to complete the temple. Unfortunately, the cedars of Lebanon were nearly forested to extinction and today only small patches exist in the far regions. Cedrus atlantica is believed to the closest in chemistry to the cedars of Biblical times.
Key Chemistry: Cedarwood contains 98% sesquiterpenes which deprogram misinformation written in the DNA due to trauma, abuse, loss and ancestral and limiting beliefs. Sesquiterpenes are considered the antidepressant in this valuable aspect.
Cedarwood may also be useful as a general cerebral stimulant. It may be diffused or applied topically as desired.
Fragrant Influence: Stimulates the limbic region of the brain (the center of emotions) and the pineal gland, which releases melatonin. Terry Friedmann, MD found in clinical tests that this essential oil was able to successfully treat ADD and ADHD (attention deficit disorders) in children. It is recognized for its calming, purifying properties.
Other Properties: may combat hair loss (alopecia areata), antibacterial, lymphatic stimulant.
USES: Hair loss, arteriosclerosis, ADHD, skin problems (acne, eczema)
Application: (1) Apply on location, (2) chakras/vitaflex points, (3) directly inhale, (4) diffuse.

_http://essentialoilworld.com/essentialoilreviews/cedarwood-essential-oil/ said:
Having trouble sleeping and wondering if there is an effective natural melatonin releaser?
Try cedarwood aromatherapy - using cedarwood essential oil at bedtime. It can actually help your brain release melatonin. That's because cedarwood is very high in sesquiterpenes.
If you're not sure what that is, in brief, sesquiterpenes are some of the naturally occuring chemical constituents in essential oils.* The combination of Sesquiterpenes and other constituents are what allow essential oils to have specific effects on your body.
Because the sesquiterpenes are at high levels in Cedarwood essential oil, they can stimulate the limbic region of the brain (the limbic region is the center of our emotions), having a calming effect.
Cedarwood oil also helps stimulate the pineal gland, which releases melotonin (an antioxidant hormone asociated with deep sleep).
And because cedarwood essential oil is so divinely scented, it's easy to take advantage of it's melatonin-boosting effects. Simply open a bottle of cedarwood, place it close to your nose and inhale deeply several times before going to bed.
Another way to take advantage of it's melatonin-boosting effects is by diffusing cedarwood. Some people put their diffuser on a timer so it goes off for 10 to 15 minutes every hour thoughout the night.

_http://essentialoilworld.com/essentialoilreviews/2008/05/natural-melatonin-releaser-for-better-sleep/ said:
*Sesquiterpenes are a class of terpenes that consist of three isoprene units and have the molecular formula C15H24. Like monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes may be acyclic or contain rings, including many unique combinations. Biochemical modifications such as oxidation or rearrangement produce the related sesquiterpenoids.

DRusak said:
I am interested in this because it seems like an additional source of increasing melatonin production, and could have similar effects to smoking nicotine. There is also one reference below about an ability to "deprogram misinformation written in the DNA due to trauma, abuse, loss and ancestral and limiting beliefs".

Hi, DRusak.

I have used cedarwood essential oil for meditation, but its been a while. I was taught much of what you included from this website about essential oils in school (except the DNA claim so don't know about that). Makes me want to add it to my apothecary, though, and try using it at night. Please keep us posted on any further finds :)

[edit: One book recommended by my teacher was Carolyn May's Essential Oils for Healing. fwiw]

I found two varieties of cedar essential oils in the market:

1. Essential oils made of Cedrus atlantica or Cedrus deodora. These should be ok.

2. Essential oils made of Juniperus chinensis and various Thuja types such as Thuja orientalis or occidentalis. These have nothing to do with cedar and Thuja plants contain thujon which is poisonous to the nervous system says Wikipedia.

One has to look at the latin plant names on the bottles to sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom