Carrot Beet Ginger Soup

Gimpy

The Living Force
Found this one on Recipe Zaar. Its # 251201 if you want to look it up for the vitamin breakdown and calorie count. While it appears unusual, this is a very refreshing, light, palate cleansing soup. Its good as a side dish, but it may be too light for a main meal. I used more ginger than called for because we like it, and used canned julienne beets because we can't get any right now. (I know, bad. I think it would be great if you used sweet potato or butternut squash instead of the beets. I just wanted to try it as written first.)

1 3/4 hours 30 min prep time

Serves 6-8

3 medium beets (chunked or diced)
1 cup onion (minced)
1 T oil of your choice (I used organic safflower)
1 lb carrot (chunked or diced)
1 T minced fresh ginger (I used 2)
1 large garlic clove
6 cups water or stock
1 t orange peel zest
3/4 t salt
pepper

4 t sour cream (optional) (I didn't use it)

Peel beets and carrots and cut into chunks, set aside.

Fry onions in the oil for 2 or 3 minutes.

Add the beets and carrots and fry for 10 minutes, stirring often. (add a little oil if you need to if things look like they'll stick)

Add ginger, garlic, and orange peel.

Add stock or water.

Bring to a slow boil for about 50 minutes or until vegetables are soft. (This only took about 25 minutes since I had the canned beets.)

Puree (I used a stick blender.)

Add salt and pepper, and serve with sour cream if desired.

On a cold day, a mugful of this is wonderful. :D

Enjoy!

Oh, and for the record? I don't like beets. Never have. But this soup is GOOD.

Gimpy said:
Found this one on Recipe Zaar. I

1 3/4 hours 30 min prep time

Serves 6-8

3 medium beets (chunked or diced)
1 cup onion (minced)
1 T oil of your choice (I used organic safflower)
1 lb carrot (chunked or diced)
1 T minced fresh ginger (I used 2)
1 large garlic clove
6 cups water or stock
1 t orange peel zest
3/4 t salt
pepper

4 t sour cream (optional) (I didn't use it)

I think the safflower oil and pepper might be a problem... Definitely the Sour Cream!! ;D

I think the safflower oil and pepper might be a problem... Definitely the Sour Cream!!

Oh, the pepper is black pepper. :) Its supposed to be anti inflammatory? (Its in Laura's dal recipe too I think) I left that off on ours, because I used double the ginger and didn't want it too hot.

I left the sour cream on the recipe for those who can have dairy. I've never liked it, and don't use it. ;) (Plus I'm a type O)

The oil is organic, I was going to use olive, but wanted to stay as close to the recipe the first time as possible, since it was a new soup to try.

Back
Top Bottom