Canadian Tire Candle

Benjamin

The Living Force
(Kinda Canadian specific humour. Sorry.)

When I ask what a second-hand bookstore smells like, someone who has been in one of them will immediately know. It's unmistakable. When you walk into a bath store it smells like... gaudy, overpowering grandma perfume, or not (if you're lucky). My point is every store has it's own smell. Canadian Tire is no exception. If you live or have visited Canada it's a good bet that you've been in one of these stores. They all smell the same and Canadian Tire (wiki) apparently turned that into a product.

You know that smell when you walk into a Canadian Tire store? It’s a bit like rubber, a bit like plastic, and it’s filled with the promise of finding that home or garden implement you’re looking for?

Canadian Tire now says it’s captured that iconic smell in candle form, and it’s releasing a limited number of scented candles for the retailer’s 100th birthday.

“Yes. This is real,” the store said on Twitter, putting doubts to rest.

“We all know how smell can trigger the best memories. So, to celebrate our 100th year, we did what many have been asking for. We’ve created a candle with our distinctive and memorable Canada’s Store scent.”

The candles are black with the store’s logo and made out of soy wax.

The only catch? They’re not for sale. The only way to get one is to enter an online contest on Twitter by sharing your favourite Canadian Tire memory.

The contest closes January 30, so hurry and think of a Canadian Tire-related story to share.

It smells a bit weird ;-)
But who knows, maybe it relates with some Canada's colective memories ?
I would say so. To have one's house smelling like Canadian Tire would be so out of place, and yet one would probably say, "Why does your house smell like Canadian Tire?" Or perhaps it's a marketing campaign to get people to think of their garage instead of other garages that smell similar. I don't know. It's a weird thing to make.

Since as far back as I can remember, it was always the smell of brand new tires. It wasn't overpowering, but it was distictive!
Yep. Brand new tires. I also get the slightly oily aroma of motor oil.

Just thinking about this, another store that has a very distinct smell is Ikea. There is nothing else like it. It's not offensive but I wonder if it's the reason I get so tired being in that store. And when you assemble a piece of their furniture in your home, your house smells like Ikea for weeks!

Personally I hope this candle stays as a novelty/joke gift and doesn't start a trend. I will avoid McDonald's candles and Tim Horton's essential oils.

Back
Top Bottom