can I breathe anywhere??

KTC

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Can I do the breathing while listening to the CD and reading posts on the Cassiopaea forum.. or is this not as effective as taking time out to do it without distraction? I stop at the meditation part and do that seperately, and most often the beatha breathing as I can't concentrate otherwise.. just wondering.

While you could, I think it would be best to do the whole program without any distractions. Being focused on doing the program is a good practice, but don't worry if you can't totally concentrate. I still daydream a lot when I do it. It may be a better idea to do different parts on a different day during, say, forum reading. Like you can do some pipe breathing while you read, or any time of the day really. And make room for the two focused EE sessions during the week, or whatever you are able to do. Happy breathing. :)

fisheye said:
Can I do the breathing while listening to the CD and reading posts on the Cassiopaea forum.. or is this not as effective as taking time out to do it without distraction? I stop at the meditation part and do that seperately, and most often the beatha breathing as I can't concentrate otherwise.. just wondering.

You can do it, but imo it wouldn't be that effective, cause you are not entirely concentrating on breathing, reading the forum is imo also more like work instead of getting relaxed, as 3D mentioned it could be a distraction.

If I may ask, why don't take the full time for the program instead?

Or to describe it another way, the program is a way to get in touch with your body and emotions and this would need attention. Test it out if you like, one time do it the way you described and the next time, take the full time only for the program and decide from there on, what suits you best. :)

fisheye said:

If its only the pipe breathing and/or warrior's breath your doing I don't see any reason why you can't do it while reading the forum. These are two parts of the program that has been suggested by many to be done at any time of the day so there's no problem with that. I've done pipe breathing in my car just waiting to find parking sometimes. Imo it's more beneficial for the physical side of the body so I'm not sure how much distractions like reading would affect this. However if you are doing the whole program then yes it would be necessary for concentration and better to be done in peace and quiet with no distractions. Also I wouldn't start the first two parts reading the forum and then shut down the computer for the last two parts because that would also make the whole thing less effective.

fisheye said:

I think you have answered your own question there. One aim of the programme being put together the way it is, in the order it is, is the cumulative effect that comes through doing each section in turn. Doing the whole programme can help you find a different quality of relaxation / meditation during the Prayer of the Soul section.

There's no harm doing a little belly breathing while you read the forum, but no need to be plugged into the CD, or counting as you go even, just be aware of your breath for a while if it helps you relax. my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input.
Legolas, I do commit time to 1-2 sessions of listening to the CD each week without distraction. Although I sometimes lie down to do it because I am just worn out from having a child, running a business and having a husband who is away for a month at a time so I zone out or doze off during the second stage breathing. I find myself not doing the breathing and just meditating sometimes and I think that I'm asleep but I always 'wake up' just as the CD finishes, so I must be meditating??
Then I feel like I'm not getting the full benefits of the work so I try and catch up on some extra sessions by listening to the breathing here when bubs is having a nap.
Does anyone else do the CD whilst lying down and experience the same? Even of I'm sitting up by the time the meditation starts I'm half way on the floor ready to lay down anyways.. but as I said, I am aware of the CD finishing.

fisheye said:
Does anyone else do the CD whilst lying down and experience the same? Even of I'm sitting up by the time the meditation starts I'm half way on the floor ready to lay down anyways.. but as I said, I am aware of the CD finishing.

Yup! It doesn't happen so much as it use to though.
From what I remember others reporting its pretty normal for that to happen. What I think it is, is when you finally turn off the stress the first thing the body wants to do is rest....so even if it is sleep (instead of zoning out)...its a good thing! You obviously need it.
Take it as a good sign :)

fwiw this thread may or may not help get you a bit more (deeper) rest at night. Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

fisheye said:
Thanks for your input.
Legolas, I do commit time to 1-2 sessions of listening to the CD each week without distraction. Although I sometimes lie down to do it because I am just worn out from having a child, running a business and having a husband who is away for a month at a time so I zone out or doze off during the second stage breathing. I find myself not doing the breathing and just meditating sometimes and I think that I'm asleep but I always 'wake up' just as the CD finishes, so I must be meditating??

Okay, I assumed you meant doing the whole program while doing different things at the same time.

In my experience it helps me a lot, when I'm stressed to take a break for about 5 minutes, where I can close my eyes and do some pipebreaths.

Thanks Red Fox,

I have checked this out and have been taking melatonin for a few weeks and blacked out my room. It helps but still I don't get a full nights with the little guy up and down. I am a notoriously light sleeper so will keep working on it, I know its an issue. :zzz: :zzz:

Fisheye I have been doing pipe breathing in different places for a while now, and certainly helps.

Specifically when I park in the morning and I have a short walk tot he office building, I walk and do pipe breathing. The walk is about 20 inhalations/exhalations and then once I make it past security and get into the elevator I start it up again for the ride up. I ususally get through three inhalations/exhalations in the elevator before I am presented to my floor.

Doing this routine in the morning has been beneficial in multple ways. One, focusing on the breathe always seems to be of an advantage and is a form of self-remembering. Instead of having the upcoming days worries and million other thoughts that occur on the way to work, I start my day with a clarity that last for a while. Seeing co-workers start off the day already lost in the emotions and thoughts of the day is interesting and slightly sad.

The other advantage of this is that sometimes I am immediately presented when I arrive with a critical issue that puts everyone into panic mode, but on days I remember to to pipe-breathing I have consistanly found that I do not react to the panic and am instead cool and have a focus that allows me to resolve (if it something I can resolve) the issue quickly without wasting time lost swimming through emotions before any real work is even started. I make less mistakes basically as I am not being yanked around by the tide of emotions others on my team drown in.

Back
Top Bottom