Caesar Soup

Made this soup last night for a friend and myself. DIVINE!!! Though following the recipe as originally posted, I don't understand how this pot could be for just two people, two servings each. I was only able to finish about 2/3 the bowl I poured for myself. My friend finished hers, but there were at least 5-6 bowls left. At any rate thank you for posting this. Amazing!

Kris

RflctnOfU said:
Made this soup last night for a friend and myself. DIVINE!!! Though following the recipe as originally posted, I don't understand how this pot could be for just two people, two servings each. I was only able to finish about 2/3 the bowl I poured for myself. My friend finished hers, but there were at least 5-6 bowls left. At any rate thank you for posting this. Amazing!

Kris

My husband and I could barely eat half the recipe because it was so rich. It heated up okay the following day, but it's best when eaten fresh. The broth is truly divine.

NormaRegula said:
RflctnOfU said:

Kris

My husband and I could barely eat half the recipe because it was so rich. It heated up okay the following day, but it's best when eaten fresh. The broth is truly divine.

As I wrote in the original post, me and my husband can be eating the soup for at least two days. Normally, it lasts us three. And we don't mind having it even the third day, we think that it tastes even better then when heated up, after all the ingredients had huddled for longer.

Just bumping this up to say I make this fabulous soup often and made it again last night. If you've not tried it, you're missing out on a very simple to make, absolutely amazing soup!!

Thanks again, Alana. :hug2:

1984 said:
Just bumping this up to say I make this fabulous soup often and made it again last night. If you've not tried it, you're missing out on a very simple to make, absolutely amazing soup!!

Thanks again, Alana. :hug2:

Just as I was trying to think of something "simple to make" yet "amazing" for dinner. You saved me from scrambled eggs tonight, thank you 1984 - and Alana! :thup:

Here is an interesting bit of text about how to use saffron properly:

Mind you, you really don't need much of it in cooking: a classic saffron risotto for four, for instance, takes 10 or so strands, that's all. I just wish people would use it properly – even some top chefs don't seem to know what to do with it. I saw one on telly the other week who just put in a big handful of unprepared saffron at the end. That's madness – no one could afford to do that in real life, and you don't get any of that unique aroma and flavour, which is the whole point.

To get the best out of your saffron, you have to soak it for a few hours – preferably overnight – in a little warm water. And keep it out of the light: like all spices, saffron hates the sun. After infusing, the strands should be very pale and the colour should have leeched into the liquid. In other words, if you can see bright red saffron strands in a finished dish, you can tell it hasn't been prepared properly. You wouldn't believe the difference doing it properly can make.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/16/meet-the-saffron-producer-uk

This is the most delicious and easiest soup to make (next to bone broth) and also the most keto-soup (again, next to bone-broth). I grew up by the sea so I love all sea foods, but my husband doesn't. So I was very happy to discover that he enjoyed this soup when I used to make it during the very cold winters in Canada, and so did the rest of the family. It was inspired by a sauce I used to make for pasta (back in the pasta, real cream, white wine days) and I changed it for keto-consumption. We used to call it just the "fish soup", but since yesterday it's been very deservedly renamed to Caesar Soup {{tah tah taaaaaaaaaah}} :cheer:

So here. All you need are

butter
coconut cream
onions
garlic
shrimps
scallops
salt & pepper
cinnamon
saffron
herbs (I use a combination of parsley/chervil/tarragon/chives)

I don't ever measure when I cook, so bear with me. The following should make a small pot for two people to dine at least twice. It is so tasty that you think you will eat the entire pot, but pretty soon you realize that is also very very filling! We only have a small bowl each and we are FULL!

So, you melt a whole unsalted butter package (here usually at 500g) in the pot, and you add your finely cut onions and garlic. I put about 3-4 medium sized onions and about 3-4 garlic cloves. I let them cook very well, and when they have thinned enough, I add the coconut cream, I would say about 2-3 cups. When it is hot enough, in goes the scallops and shrimp. I get those from the supermarket in a package and use a package of each for just 2 people. But you add as much as you want really! And you want your liquid (butter and cream) to be almost to the point of covering the shrimps and scallops. That's how I measure my liquids anyway.

And then, when the shrimps and scallops are almost ready (which is not long, if you like them al dente) you sprinkle it with salt & pepper (I don't add pepper because all the other tastes are enough, but my husband likes it with pepper, so it works with both), cinnamon, herbs and saffron. Just a note in case you haven't used saffron before, it only needs a tiny bit for this amount. Just so as to give your soup an ivory tint, if it makes it orange, then it's too much. Which is a good thing, saffron is known as the "gold" of the spices!

Et voila! You have a soup that is filling, healthy (if you are not allergic to shell fish/coconut/butter... :shock: ) and very tasty! :D Enjoy people! And let me know your results and impressions after you made it :thup:
Wow, I just discovered this recipe thanks to Hesperides that talked about this soup yesterday, long and large! I will do it very soon, you bet! Thanks for the recipe, you should write a cook book with easy recipes like this one! With a story around the recipe. I love the story of this recipe with your husband. Superbe! Thank youuuuu!:headbanger:

As I wrote in the original post, me and my husband can be eating the soup for at least two days. Normally, it lasts us three. And we don't mind having it even the third day, we think that it tastes even better then when heated up, after all the ingredients had huddled for longer.
Winter is settling in early this week (snow and temps in the 30s) and what a grand, simple recipe that 'sticks to the ribs', as my grandmother would say. It seems that I need to be heading to the store :scooter:to stock up! Thank you for this recipe! :flowers:

Thanks for bumping this thread loreta! And for the recipe, Alana! This soup sounds amazing, and also sounds like it looks amazing! I must make some soon. Love seafood, though rarely have it except for sardines... also looove coconut-based soupy/curry things, but since I avoid chilli now it's been ages since I had anything like it. This sounds like a good thing to make around Caesarmas time 😋

Also just stumbled upon this beautiful recipe, thanks team! Usually we make that kind of dishes based on meat. Skymargo promised me to prepare it on New Year celebration🙏

@loreta, just remind that instead of using scallops, because at our place only frozen ones are available and therefore don't add any particular flavour to the soup, neither do these kind of scallops in themselves, to use clamps or cockles. That did the trick for me!
Thanks, I will follow your advice! Yuppy for the coconut soup!:clap:

We even can start a group named “The nuts of the coconut soup”!

Back
Top Bottom