Caesar Soup

Alana

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
This is the most delicious and easiest soup to make (next to bone broth) and also the most keto-soup (again, next to bone-broth). I grew up by the sea so I love all sea foods, but my husband doesn't. So I was very happy to discover that he enjoyed this soup when I used to make it during the very cold winters in Canada, and so did the rest of the family. It was inspired by a sauce I used to make for pasta (back in the pasta, real cream, white wine days) and I changed it for keto-consumption. We used to call it just the "fish soup", but since yesterday it's been very deservedly renamed to Caesar Soup {{tah tah taaaaaaaaaah}} :cheer:

So here. All you need are

butter
coconut cream
onions
garlic
shrimps
scallops
salt & pepper
cinnamon
saffron
herbs (I use a combination of parsley/chervil/tarragon/chives)

I don't ever measure when I cook, so bear with me. The following should make a small pot for two people to dine at least twice. It is so tasty that you think you will eat the entire pot, but pretty soon you realize that is also very very filling! We only have a small bowl each and we are FULL!

So, you melt a whole unsalted butter package (here usually at 500g) in the pot, and you add your finely cut onions and garlic. I put about 3-4 medium sized onions and about 3-4 garlic cloves. I let them cook very well, and when they have thinned enough, I add the coconut cream, I would say about 2-3 cups. When it is hot enough, in goes the scallops and shrimp. I get those from the supermarket in a package and use a package of each for just 2 people. But you add as much as you want really! And you want your liquid (butter and cream) to be almost to the point of covering the shrimps and scallops. That's how I measure my liquids anyway.

And then, when the shrimps and scallops are almost ready (which is not long, if you like them al dente) you sprinkle it with salt & pepper (I don't add pepper because all the other tastes are enough, but my husband likes it with pepper, so it works with both), cinnamon, herbs and saffron. Just a note in case you haven't used saffron before, it only needs a tiny bit for this amount. Just so as to give your soup an ivory tint, if it makes it orange, then it's too much. Which is a good thing, saffron is known as the "gold" of the spices!

Et voila! You have a soup that is filling, healthy (if you are not allergic to shell fish/coconut/butter... :shock: ) and very tasty! :D Enjoy people! And let me know your results and impressions after you made it :thup:
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
I confess to being the one who named this "Caesar Soup" because I just KNOW Caesar would have loved it!

In fact, I love it so much that it is what I asked to have for my birthday dinner. And fortunately, Alana made enough that I not only had it for dinner yesterday, I had it for breakfast and dinner today. Do try it! It is just the most delicious thing ever invented!
 

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Laura said:
I confess to being the one who named this "Caesar Soup" because I just KNOW Caesar would have loved it!

In fact, I love it so much that it is what I asked to have for my birthday dinner. And fortunately, Alana made enough that I not only had it for dinner yesterday, I had it for breakfast and dinner today. Do try it! It is just the most delicious thing ever invented!

Yep, it's a great soup! I speak from personal gustatory experience.
 

Timótheos

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Alana said:
We used to call it just the "fish soup", but since yesterday it's been very deservedly renamed to Caesar Soup {{tah tah taaaaaaaaaah}} :cheer:

Indeed it is very tasty, as good as or better than you'd find in a restaurant.

Another reason we named it Caesar soup is because it sounds like SEA SUR. "Sur" being French for UNDER the "Sea".

:)
 

riclapaz

Dagobah Resident
Thanks for sharing Alana, really looks delicious, I'm a little slow on the issue of the kitchen, but I'll try, and the name is great. :perfect:
 

liam1310

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
looking forward to making some Caesar soup :) sounds really nice ill let you know how it goes
love the name thanks for the recipe :cool2:
 

Andromeda

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
One of the tastiest soups I've ever had. :wizard: And it's really filling with all the seafoody goodness. Seven out of five stars from me!
 

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Another vote for this super yummy soup! I'm not much of a fish eater, but this is... WOW! :jawdrop: :clap: And very filling too! Excellent invention, Chef Alana!
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
monotonic said:
What about the safety of seafood? As I understand shrimp are factory-farmed in terrible conditions.

If you can't find fresh seafood, go eat an egg. Sheesh!
 

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Timótheos said:
Alana said:
We used to call it just the "fish soup", but since yesterday it's been very deservedly renamed to Caesar Soup {{tah tah taaaaaaaaaah}} :cheer:

Indeed it is very tasty, as good as or better than you'd find in a restaurant.

Another reason we named it Caesar soup is because it sounds like SEA SUR. "Sur" being French for UNDER the "Sea".

:)

Very clever naming of this soup! Thanks for posting the recipe, I must confess to getting tired with the 'sameness' of what I cook, so I'm looking forward to trying this one!

:thup:
 

Scottie

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
I generally don't like seafood, except for fish. I eat shrimp and scallops every now and then, but not very much. It's all just fish-flavored rubbery stuff to me. :lol:

Even so, Caesar Soup is DIVINE. I'm not sure why, but I gobble down the scallops and shrimp and yummy creamy broth like there's no tomorrow. It's just delicious. I think it might be a 4D soup.

So, even if you're not a seafood person, give it a try! You'll be happy you did.

:perfect:
 

irjO

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'll making this, I hope to get the same amazing flavor you are describing, either way the community here will confirm if I made it well :lol:
 

Ollie

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Scottie said:
... Caesar Soup is DIVINE. I'm not sure why, but I gobble down the scallops and shrimp and yummy creamy broth like there's no tomorrow. It's just delicious. I think it might be a 4D soup.

...

:perfect:
That sums up my taste experience of this soup too - absolutely divine. :clap: :rockon:
 

SeekinTruth

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thanks for the recipe!! I'm definitely trying this!

And the name (of the topic, as well as the soup) makes it hard for forum readers to ignore. :)
 
Top Bottom