Buckwheat porridge with bacon and onions

mada85

The Cosmic Force
This makes a really delicious and satisfying meal. I have it for breakfast every morning. The method of cooking meat slowly with onions works also for chicken and pork. The meats remain tender while the onions become sweet and the flavours develop through the dish. I didn't tolerate buckwheat very well – it actually made me slightly nauseous - until I tried cooking it in plenty of water then draining it after cooking. I use the ratio of fats in the recipe because eating too much lard gives me wind :-[

I have to use an electric cooker as my building does not have gas. The cooker calibration goes from 0 to 6, so you will have to translate my numbers to suit your cooker. I time things so that the bacon and onions have been cooking for 30 minutes when the buckwheat has had 20 minutes. Never let the fats reach their smoke point.

Buckwheat porridge with bacon and onions

Ingredients:
¾ cup unroasted buckwheat groats
1 heaped teaspoon salt
5 – 6 cups water
2 rashers organic bacon
2 medium/large onions
Approx 6 tablespoons ghee
Approx 3 tablespoons lard
Dried coriander to taste
Turmeric to taste
Black pepper to taste

Method:

Melt the fats in the frying pan on heat setting 4.
Chop the onions and add to the hot fat. Mix thoroughly.
Cook for approx 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the onions start to become transparent.
Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the onions. Mix thoroughly.
Cook on 4 for 5-10 minutes then reduce the heat to 3 (or 2 depending on how well done you like the onions). Cook for 25 – 30 minutes in total.

Add the salt to the water and bring to the boil.
Add the buckwheat, return to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes while the bacon and onions are cooking.

After 20 minutes, drain the buckwheat, return to the pan and add the coriander and turmeric and mix thoroughly.
Add the bacon and onions and mix thoroughly.

Serve with a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom