Brownie Crisps

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Here's one I put together yesterday - inspired by a product I saw on the store shelf ( which was priced at $6 USD for a small 5 ounce bag ! )

These are meant to turn out something like a cross between a brownie, cracker, and flat bread.

Brownie Crisps

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp guar gum
1/2 cup xylitol
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Water

Mix all that up, adding water a little at a time to make the batter thick - sort of like a bread dough might be. I estimate that I used about 3/4 cup water total, but I didn't measure it.

Spread out the dough on a large baking sheet ( lined with parchment paper if you prefer ). Make it about 1/4 inch thick.

Using a sharp knife, make cuts in a grid pattern in whatever size you want. That way after it bakes and cools you can break it into relatively symmetrical pieces.

Sprinkle the top with xylitol ( and salt if you like some saltiness with the sweetness )

Bake at 300 F for about 20 to 25 minutes. It should come out completely cooked, but not crisp yet.

When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle some more xylitol on top if you want it to be sweeter (the hot baked dough will probably be slightly moist on top, so the xylitol will stick). I found that I needed to do that since 1/2 cup in the mix wasn't quite enough. But as it turns out, putting it on top was nice. So I left the recipe the way I originally made it.

Let it cool, then break it apart and leave it out overnight to dry.

Makes a good snack and/or accompaniment for tea.

EDIT: I forgot to put the guar gum - now added to the list of ingredients.

Thanks, m. It sounds scrumptious! I'll try this out this weekend. :cool2:

Every interesting recipe, but doesn't baking powder have ALUMINIUM:

Laura said:
Just a note: boxes of sodium bicarbonate - baking soda- do not have aluminum in them anyway. It is only baking POWDER that has been known to have aluminum. Baking POWDER is a different product than baking SODA. Baking powder is a MIXTURE that contains an acid salt such as sodium aluminum sulfate or sodium aluminum phosphate.

Note also that the link Elizabeth has provided links to a product that warns: "Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy." It's an exhorbitant price to pay for sodium bicarbonate/baking soda that you can buy rather cheaply in its pure form in every supermarket.

Your best bet is to simply buy Sodium Bicarbonate.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder

Elizabeth, please do your research more carefully before you advise anyone.

If there is a source without, PLEASE NOTIFY.

Thanks

SMA

sleepermustawaken said:
Every interesting recipe, but doesn't baking powder have ALUMINIUM:

Laura said:
Just a note: boxes of sodium bicarbonate - baking soda- do not have aluminum in them anyway. It is only baking POWDER that has been known to have aluminum. Baking POWDER is a different product than baking SODA. Baking powder is a MIXTURE that contains an acid salt such as sodium aluminum sulfate or sodium aluminum phosphate.

Note also that the link Elizabeth has provided links to a product that warns: "Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy." It's an exhorbitant price to pay for sodium bicarbonate/baking soda that you can buy rather cheaply in its pure form in every supermarket.

Your best bet is to simply buy Sodium Bicarbonate.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder

Elizabeth, please do your research more carefully before you advise anyone.

If there is a source without, PLEASE NOTIFY.

Thanks

SMA

Go to a health store and you will probably find baking powder without aluminium. I did.

Bob's Red Mill brand is aluminum-free. Available at many regular grocers as well as health food stores. It's usually in the baking aisle around the flours and comes in a small bag.

m,
Thank YOU for the reply, and

sleepermustawaken said:
(With no disrespect) Gandalf, Sorry, should of done more "thinking" in the matter.

:(Need to LOOK more on my own.

Thanks

Do not know what came over me :scared: Should of used more of the grey matter or may be I need to grow more.

With respect to ALL

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom