Babettes gæstebud

jess

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
I'm a bit currently with the link of the readings in one of the threads here, in the "Books" section, there is a movie (I think it locates the story in 19th-century) that I remember that l found interesting because it works with the emotions-senses of its characters, in this case food.

Babette's Feast (Danish: Babettes Gæstebud) is a 1987 Danish drama film directed by Gabriel Axel. The film's screenplay was written by Axel based on the 1958 story by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen). Produced by Just Betzer, Bo Christensen, and Benni Korzen with funding from the Danish Film Institute, Babette's Feast was the first Danish cinema film of a Blixen story. It was also the first Danish film to win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.[2] The film premiered in the Un Certain Regard section of the 1987 Cannes Film Festival.[3]

I saw the film a few years ago. I found it very profound and touching. Here is a short summary:

After the bloody crackdown on the uprisings in Paris in the 19th century, widow Babette found accommodation as a cook in the house of two sisters in Denmark. When she wins the lottery, she wants to prepare a big feast for the residents of the pietistic village. Awarded the Oscar for the best foreign film.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a stream. But it is one of those little, unjustifiably forgotten films that are worth buying.

I love this movie and also the short story written by Karen Blixen. It is a so cute film, and perfect if you are hungry. A movie about compassion, about how food is important, how friends are important and food and friends together, what a good conjonction of stars and beauty. There is also humour in the movie, and how some stubborn people can change with a good meal. Because food is more then food, food is contact with something inside us that maybe we ignore. Food is contact with our soul. And to do a feast is an art and Babette is really an artist. So Babette is really a stupendous character!

Back
Top Bottom