Attempting to fly in dreams

Although I usually don't remember dreams very well, there seems to be a central issue: to be able to fly. In my youth I tried and tried, and eventually 'mastered' flying to some degree.

Last night a highly vivid dream occured. I was at the beach somewhere in Cote d'Azur, did a little swimming and eventually ended up in the air. Not the usual way -with lots of effort-, but more like a fast moving rollercoaster, without any control. Next moment I was on the other side of the Mediterranean, Libya or Egypt, overseeing the sea in the direction of Israel. All scaled down, consider you visit Evian-les-Bains and look at Montreux over Lake Geneva. Then, there was a conversation with locals about a sort of poldering the coasts of Lebanon and Israel to create space for the people. Next, there was confusion and military interaction. I hided, but in the end was shot down by some unknown figure who came downstairs.

I don't remember ever being killed in previous dreams, nor did I perceive this dream as a nightmare. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated, especially about the subject of flying.

Hmm, not sure if I can offer much helpful advice about flying in dreams. I have experienced flight in dreams since I was about four in varying degrees. The first such dream I had involved jumping off a porch and I would just float down, the funny thing is after I woke up I tried it in waking reality, needless to say it hurt and I was terribly confused. Oh well, can't seem to fly in waking reality. But I think the key to flying in dreams is that you just do it, don't worry about learning to do it, or trying to believe you can - just let it come from your desire to do it ...

On the night just before the London bomb attacks I had a dream. My sister and I were at an open air cafe and our children were still young (They're grown up now). And then it gets sort of dark and the street lights are on. Then we hear a helicopter and somehow I know that it is dangerous and we tell our children to go and hide. And we lie on the ground just under the lampost (funny) and we see this helicopter is really a jeep from the second world war with choppers and flying in the air. It had its search ligts on and I was really afraid because it was just on top of us in the air. Then I woke up.

When I was in the elementary school I had many dreams where I was flying over the stairs of our house and once I was dancing in the air. I felt really happy in the latter one.

salleles said:
Then, there was a conversation with locals about a sort of poldering the coasts of Lebanon and Israel to create space for the people.
This made me smile. It sounded so wonderfully Dutch ;-)

The "poldering" seems so archetypical, considering that the Ductch have been doing that for a very long time.
Do you know of any reason why this came up in your dream? Are you somehow professionally involved with this type of activity?

It is interesting that this is in relation to Lebanon and Israel given the plausible connection between the Jews and tribes that settled in the Friesland area (Chatti?). I also thought of Mesopotamian cultures and their agriculture. Maybe this is a reference to your bloodline? I could be way off.
I just finished The Wave Book 4, so that is the main reason I make these associations.

Dominique.

Flying dreams always frustrate me - that is, when it comes to showing someone and find you can't move an inch. ;)

My bloodline does not make sense Dominique. Just eager to share a dream ;-)

-edit-
Sorry, I overlooked your other question: no, I have never been active in the 'poldering industry'.

salleles said:
I was at the beach somewhere in Cote d'Azur, did a little swimming and eventually ended up in the air. Not the usual way -with lots of effort-, but more like a fast moving rollercoaster, without any control. Next moment I was on the other side of the Mediterranean, Libya or Egypt, overseeing the sea in the direction of Israel. All scaled down, consider you visit Evian-les-Bains and look at Montreux over Lake Geneva. Then, there was a conversation with locals about a sort of poldering the coasts of Lebanon and Israel to create space for the people. Next, there was confusion and military interaction. I hided, but in the end was shot down by some unknown figure who came downstairs.

I don't remember ever being killed in previous dreams, nor did I perceive this dream as a nightmare. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated, especially about the subject of flying.
Sometime flying is associate with the perspective it provides. You are high up and have an encompassing vision. Dreams reflect the inner world, but you can consider that the inner worlds of all people overlap to a certain extent and form a domain on their own, and this domain may overlap with a natural field with laws and beings all its own (also containing the inner world of all life on this planet and other factors that shamans have identified with the dreamtime worlds).

I think you were drawn to and percieved a group thoughtform geared to resolving middle east conflicts. I think (since this reflected to you in a "Dutch" manner, symbolized by poldering), that you were contributing your energy to this dynamic as well, supporting it with your awareness, as it were.

That is when the forces against peace emerged. This was not death you experienced, but being disconnected from the group thoughtform of support. Being shot while hiding while close to the issue at ground level (you said they came "downstairs") was probably a symbol for being knocked away from the group thought form trying to resolve the problems in Palestine.

The dream occured probably in the plane of the mind, generated by interconnecting minds concerned with this issue. I am sure others were also elliminated, since what was attacked was this thoughtform, its integrity hacked to pieces and its constituents losing coherence with each other. It was, therefore, not death but a severing.

The subjective result for those involved might be feeling that peace is hopeless or they are up against too much resistance, although since your connection was intermittent, that reaction may not apply to you to a great extent, osit.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, EsoQuest. By the way, is there any literature on dreams that you could recommend?

Recommending books is a bit of a weak point for me since I tend to synthesize stuff from here and there according to my own sense of what makes sense. I read a lot to have a basis of understanding, so I would suggest learning as much as you can regarding the actual physiology of dreaming (you can probably google that info), and there is a classic on lucid dreaming: "Creative Dreaming" by Patricia Garfield, who is a psychologist and dream researcher, interested in esoteric aspects of dreams, but not in any way a "new age" type, IMO. The book has some interesting references to shamanic dream practices. You can google her as well, since she has some articles on the Internet, and has written a lot more books than that.

Regarding any book, it's best to browse titles and trust your own inner voice, focusing on the thought "what is right for me?".

I would, however, avoid any books on dream symbolism. What I would look into is gaining insight on the shamanic view of the dreamtime, as well as the modern physiological perspective. Castaneda has some shamanic info, but it is spread thin over many books. Learning to interpret dreams is, furthermore, very similar to sensing the energy of peoples writings and directly from people. Here is an interesting thread on this topic I recommend:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1795

When someone describes a dream, I basically sense the tone of what is written and allow the writer to reveal the nature of the dream through that. You can "read" anything in this manner. In fact you can apply this same mode to yourself through self observation and learning to sense your own energy, in everyday events and specifically while remembering or writing down your dream. As Keit says in the above linked thread, it's really an art and not a science, and learned through practicing the basics.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom