attachments in 2nd density creatures??

Gonzo said:
shellycheval,

Thank you for so eloquently expressing that which I could not.

I want to add that even in the wild, there are controls and rules. Dogs are pack animals with a leadership structure. Any dog that doesn't behave appropriately is in for a rough ride, either through violence or isolation.

I saw in a wolf pack when the alpha leader decided on of the wolves no longer belonged because of its behaviour, and the entire pack went along with it, forcing the lone wolf into exile and attacking it if he ever came near.

The poor thing tried several times to rejoin, only to be viciously attacked, and so, remained a safe distance from the pack but never leaving fully, as the need to belong was so great.

He just followed the pack from a distance. Pretty heartbreaking, really.

So, I don't think we humans when being benevolent leaders are all that bad.

Take care,

Gonzo

Thanks Gonzo for your words

I have one question: What could happen when one person become a leader to them but that person have to work out and then nobody is in the house and they are alone ???? Are they still make a mess ???? Or not ?

Regards,

Zim

in a multi-dog household the order below the owner (assuming he has become true pack leader) will be established naturally.
Very often humans make a big mistake protecting the underdog, giving him more attention, preference with food etc. This interference will lead to even more sever aggression when owner is away and sometimes can even lead to killing of the underdog.
If you only have one dog and he is well balanced he should stay out of trouble when left alone in the house.
Most cases of home destruction when owner is away are linked to separation anxiety which again is linked to inappropriate interaction with the dog.
Hope this helps.

Stormy Knight said:
in a multi-dog household the order below the owner (assuming he has become true pack leader) will be established naturally.
Very often humans make a big mistake protecting the underdog, giving him more attention, preference with food etc. This interference will lead to even more sever aggression when owner is away and sometimes can even lead to killing of the underdog.
If you only have one dog and he is well balanced he should stay out of trouble when left alone in the house.
Most cases of home destruction when owner is away are linked to separation anxiety which again is linked to inappropriate interaction with the dog.
Hope this helps.

Hi Stormy Knight

Thanks for your comments, it really helps. :)

Thanks and regards

Zim

Thanks, Stormy Knight, so true.

Zim,

You might want to read up on separation anxiety. It can be quite sever in some dogs who are ill-equipped to fill the leadership vacuum in the true leader's absence or in maladapted dogs.

Often the anxiety, just like in humans, requires medication, usually in the form of an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med. A trusted veterinarian or animal behaviourist should be consulted .

One option you might want to consider is crate training, so the dogs would stay in cages while you are away.

This is a little difficult to introduce for some adult dogs and requires specific approaches. If you are interested, bring this up with a vet or behaviourist. Also, Google "crate training"+"separation anxiety" - it might yield interesting results.

Regards,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Thanks, Stormy Knight, so true.

Zim,

You might want to read up on separation anxiety. It can be quite sever in some dogs who are ill-equipped to fill the leadership vacuum in the true leader's absence or in maladapted dogs.

Often the anxiety, just like in humans, requires medication, usually in the form of an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med. A trusted veterinarian or animal behaviourist should be consulted .

One option you might want to consider is crate training, so the dogs would stay in cages while you are away.

This is a little difficult to introduce for some adult dogs and requires specific approaches. If you are interested, bring this up with a vet or behaviourist. Also, Google "crate training"+"separation anxiety" - it might yield interesting results.

Regards,
Gonzo

Hi Gonzo

Thanks for your advice I found out the Instruccions in internet in How to Crate a Dog With Separation Anxiety, I think it is the same:

Here the instructions

How to Crate a Dog With Separation Anxiety

Step 1Work on the separation anxiety issue with your dog. Start by not making a big deal out of your departure and arrival. This can encourage separation anxiety in your dog. Be sure that your dog is getting enough exercise each day. Consider getting up an hour earlier and going on a brisk walk with him. Leave him with only one toy or one item that has your smell. Too many options can make an anxious dog even more anxious.

Step 2Get a dog crate that is big enough for your dog to lie comfortably, stand and turn around in. It should not be much larger than that though. Place it in room that you spend a lot of time in. The living room or a bedroom is a good choice. The laundry room is not. Put a blanket or towel inside the dog crate and maybe your dog's favorite toy. Some owners have found that putting a piece of clothing that has their scent helps the dog feel more comfortable in the dog crate.

Step 3Make your dog's introduction to the dog crate as pleasant as possible. Using a happy tone, bring your dog over to the dog crate. Do not force him into the dog crate or order him inside; just play with him near the crate. You can also add some treats around the outside and the inside of the dog crate to entice the dog nearer. If your dog ventures inside, do not close the crate door. Give him plenty of praise. Slowly start integrating time in the dog crate with the door closed each day when you are home. As the dog gets more comfortable, lengthen the time your dog is in the dog crate.

Step 4Keep a regular routine with your dog and his crate. Put him there when it is time to go to sleep at night. When you get ready to leave, take your dog on short outing and then put him in his crate when you bring him in. Do not make a big production out of leaving. Simply close the door and leave. When you come back, do not talk to him at all. Take him out of the dog crate, leash him and take him out for short walk. Wait until he is calm before showing any affection.

Step 5Avoid leaving any dog in a dog crate for more than five hours at a time, depending on their age and house-training ability. Puppies and elderly dogs need less time in the dog crate. You should also avoid using the dog crate as a punishment because your dog will begin to associate it with bad experiences, causing even more anxiety.

I´ll follow this steps and see if it work with them, I found the Cesar Millan page too so Im reading it to try to find out how to be a leader for the dogs.

I can see that the my 2 German Shepherd and my Labrador, are very very anxious. :-[

Best Regards

Zimry

Cesar Millan will as has been suggested offer many insights on dogs that actually at times seems more like therapy for people through dogs...

Check youtube for his short series where he deals one on one with owners and dogs, any kind any size and any problem. I find it amazing and very enlightening, especially his assesment of the situation with regards to the dog owners.

Back
Top Bottom