Internet Shrinkage & Archiving

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
As we are well aware by now, the internet censorship on social platforms and video portals like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube has become quite notorious and extreme (mostly in the west?). The extent to which this is happening by now is staggering, often blocking, deleting stuff and "deplatforming" anything that goes against the grain, in any field, really, but especially in hot areas.

But, what about the Internet itself, or rather, search engines like google and others? Sure, we also noticed something like that going on there, but could it be that it has already gotten very thoroughly controlled, step by step, so that we have not really noticed the extent of it? And the possible consequences especially for the brainwashed masses (and in that regard, especially the youngest generations)?

What follows are two videos that are likely somewhat sensationalized, oversimplified and smell like clickbait. Generally speaking, I'm not the biggest fan of the guy in the video because he is often pretty uncritical and just runs with anything (even pretty crazy stuff), before really thinking about it. So, I think there are probably a number of points he is making that can be easily disproven and/or explained by other things than "quietly deleting the internet". I didn't listen to all of it. He also suggests that it isn't just google who does it but pretty much every search engine:

I was just trying to find the full recent speech of Putin and Lavrov in video and text form via Google and noticed how extremely difficult it is to find the whole speech in any of the two forms (video or text) via a Google search, even if I try my usual tricks like "the last 24 hours" and special wordings. I also noticed that it is extremely hard to find any sources outside the mainstream platforms in that search (and other searches). Disregarding some of the probably sluggish arguments the guy above is making, I do think that something of that sort might indeed have become a big problem over the last months/years, judged by my own searches and how it was just a couple of years ago.

It is kind of scary to find, that you can now, apparently, only find stuff outside the mainstream, if you know exactly what you have to search for BEFOREHAND, and even then, what you get is mostly, if not exclusively, mainstream stuff. I think I subtly noticed stuff like that quite a lot over the last months/years, but never really thought about it, in a thorough and conscious way.

Now, if I have such big problems to find anything outside the mainstream, with my extended knowledge of what is going on - and has been going on for years (in all sorts of fields) coupled with quite some knowledge on how to phrase and search for things in search engines, in order to find good stuff - how on earth can ordinary people now find anything outside the mainstream via Google and co. anymore? I know which websites to open and how they are called. How can ordinary people find such websites now though, who don't have that knowledge? And what does that lead to?

So, it seems to me, it is not really that "the internet is getting quietly deleted", but rather, that the search engines seem to have purged (and seem to continue to do so, in an alarming rate) anything that goes against the grain, with the end result that you can hardly find anything outside the mainstream anymore. IF something like that is going on, I'm pretty certain that most, if not all of it, is automated via algorithms, AI and bots, and stuff like that.

Last edited:
I was just trying to find the full recent speech of Putin and Lavrov in video and text form via Google and noticed how extremely difficult it is to find the whole speech in any of the two forms (video or text) via a Google search, even if I try my usual tricks like "the last 24 hours" and special wordings
I had similar experience to get a decent picture ( no negative or neutral impression of him) of Putin using google or yahoo etc. After searching through few hours, I went to Yadex to get TON of decent pictures of Putin instantly. Though Yandex navigation is somewhat confusing, it is decent for the searching contents related to Russia. Google perfected this to art form ( say dark art) particularly during Trump days.
So, it seems to me, it is not really that "the internet is getting quietly deleted", but rather, that the search engines seem to have purged (and seem to continue to do so, in an alarming rate) anything that goes against the grain, with the end result that you can hardly find anything outside the mainstream anymore. IF something like that is going on, I'm pretty certain that most, if not all of it, is automated via algorithms, AI and bots, and stuff like that.
There are too many nuts and bolts from the person puts the search string to seeing the results w.r.t to process. There are many nodal points where they can manipulate the result sets to show the content in the top few pages (what search engine thinks relevant to you based on your previous search history). Google had been doing this search filtering mechanism from the days of its inception. Initially it is illegal and they did it any way while other search engines avoided doing storing people's search history for privacy concerns.

What I mean to say is It doesn't need to be hard delete of the content at the source, it is soft delete by preventing them to show up in the top pages of results.

What I mean to say is It doesn't need to be hard delete of the content at the source, it is soft delete by preventing them to show up in the top pages of results.

This seems to be very much the case. Many of the sites and information is still there, but the only way to find it when using a search engine is to be very specific to the name of the page, in some cases the exact wording is required and it still will not be the top result. This has been affecting search engines like DuckDuckGo for a long time as well - likely because many of the less well known engines simply search through the results from the bigger ones, such as Google and Bing and filter them a little less.

A good video from April by Truthstream Media on this subject, showing how even when you search for a common topic and get millions of results, the vast majority are not really there:

The situation is also aggravated by the fact that more and more websites are hosted in the "cloud" which is operated by Big Tech.
Basically, even before a website goes live, they can know if the site is "with us or with the terrorists." They can also mess with a website's traffic and make it harder for it to be discovered. They are ready to do anything to suppress the truth...

Yes, I have had the same experience, and it's a shame but I suppose it's also to be expected.

In recent years the big tech companies have made their agendas rather clear, and have not been shy about looking to maintain certain narrative as the believable one, so they use their power to conceal the truth and present information only in a way that validates whatever they want to be validated.

So I agree with you Cosmos, it's not that the internet is being deleted, it's that it is being veiled from the average user, so when someone has the inclination to research a topic, or even if they question any narrative, they will only find whatever is approved by the gate keepers, and that is that.

What strikes me as interesting is that it's not a new phenomenon, things like this have happened time and again throughout our history, book burning or simply re writing history after victory is the same exercise in power over people by controlling what they know.

What you all have said in this thread, paints a very clear picture of the current state of the internet, informationwise, and reminds me the value of what WE are doing right now on the forum ! :-)

Two questions arrised from this :

Are we strong enough to live without internet and without the forum ?
Where will we find a network if the internet get crashed or hyper-censored ?

These two are in the back of my head for quite sometime and answers are all but easy...
Cheers :cool2:

I saw these videos in August and did a few tests of my own. Yandex search is obviously Russion-biased and produces results that other S.E.s don't, which can be useful. Quant.com is a reasonable alternative to Google, without the Russian bias. However, ALL search engines now limit the number of results. When you search for a phrase you might see "3,000,000 results found" stated but if you take the time to click through the pages, you'll get to about results page 21 and there are no more! So what you actually get is around 200 page links (many duplicated) and nowhere near 3,000,000.

ALL search engines, including Yandex, claim to find some 3 million or more links if I search for [climate change] but only provide about 150 links in total. It's almost impossible to find "alternative" websites unless you know the URL.

For my own websites I chose unique names that aren't in any dictionary. This, at least, means that anyone searching for that specific, unique word is likely to find my site. Bear in mind that most people have no idea how to type in a URL and will put something into a search window in order to find it.

Are we strong enough to live without internet and without the forum ?
Where will we find a network if the internet get crashed or hyper-censored ?
Good question. I was told, yesterday, that there's an App for Bastyon: First Fully Decentralized Social Network on Blockchain which works in peer-peer mode and would be resistant to censorship or DNS takedown. However, I can't find it on Apple store or Galaxy store. It's also possible that some darknet "onion" forums might remain operational under certain blackout conditions but my knowledge of this is close to zero.

It is kind of scary to find, that you can now, apparently, only find stuff outside the mainstream, if you know exactly what you have to search for BEFOREHAND, and even then, what you get is mostly, if not exclusively, mainstream stuff.
It's almost impossible to find "alternative" websites unless you know the URL.

Sure seems so. And once the Fact Checkers rolled out, even if you know a particular search subject that is controversial, or a particular individual name known for their stance, one is greeted with all the negatives against - Fact Checked, Snopes says, and the positives line up - CDC says, sources say et cetera.

It is no wonder that people will state that I searched the web, and that person, or that subject, has been debunked (they need look no further - which they can't easily find anyway).

Recalled all these old specifics once easily found that come to mind today, yet try finding them now. Nope, zip, gone, and yet its all somewhere behind filters.

Sad.

I've noticed this happening more and more as well. And I'm sure it's getting worse.

Humans are resilient though - we will find a way when it gets too unbearable and finding our own solution necessary.

I was just thinking as I started reading this thread - We have these household power meters now on pretty much every house. They work like a mesh internet to report power usage to the power companies - we could hijack that network and use it for ourselves, then implement some sort of distributed internet with non filtered or controlled search 🍺

J'ai trouvé ça en France, si ça peut aider...
I found this in France, if it helps...

So I agree with you Cosmos, it's not that the internet is being deleted, it's that it is being veiled from the average user, so when someone has the inclination to research a topic, or even if they question any narrative, they will only find whatever is approved by the gate keepers, and that is that.
Yeah, and I think this has been going on for a long time, though getting much worse these days. Also, and this is me with my grumpy old internet nerd hat on, it seems like in a way, people chose this - by widespread adoption of sites like Facebook.. that is, moving away from the original ideals of what the net could be, towards corporate controlled, artificial ecosystems - which aren't exactly searchable anyway. (Well, possibly it was all illusion all along and it was always going to go in this direction)..

This is sort of tangential, but.. I first noticed it in the late 2000s. Back in 1998-2000ish times, when I used to search (with search engines like Yahoo & AltaVista - I believe the search results on these were hand-entered by humans at the time!!) - eg searching for channelled material - I'd find a heap of personal, hand-made web sites, each one looking completely different, with different info on it, obviously uploaded by the actual person whose info it was.. Then for a few years I didn't much search for this kind of stuff. Then later, getting towards the end of the 2000s, I tried again, and most of those personal sites were nowhere to be found. Now it was instead, a handful of slick looking portal sites with reposted 2nd hand information, it felt like just the same few things posted over and over in different places (on boilerplate websites, with adverts attached). The sense of adventure, finding abundant weird and original information, people just putting their writing out there, was gone. Well that's how it seemed. But yeah, those sites were probably still there, it was just that the search engines stopped showing them.

Anyway now, places like Facebook *are* The Internet to many people. Hardly anyone I know "in real life" uses anything but FB or twitter.. It would be a big effort to get them to start using say, a web forum. Or even to chat via email, instead of FB messenger!

... BUT I think there are lots of good new things happening like substack, odysee etc, which I don't know much about yet. I'm behind the times now.. This was just a little mini-rant that's been in my head for years :)

Back
Top Bottom