Are Dogs Smarter Than Cats?

Ruth

The Living Force
Well I don't know if dogs are smarter than cats or vice versa. It depends how a person defines 'smart'. Actually I think some dogs are very smart, especially the sheep dog types. They most likely are bred for their intelligence.

Cats can be very entertaining and I'm not sure if that just means they are attention hogs. Here's how to interrupt your owner during a virtual parliamentary meeting.

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I always thought that the fact that people use dogs as a reference when talking about a remarkable cat was enough to settle the debate about cats and dogs. You've probably heard someone say about a cat "wow, he/she is almost like a dog" (or something to the effect) when commenting positively on the qualities of a cat, but you've probably never heard a person say about a dog "wow, he/she is almost like a cat", unless it was in a less than positive context.

gnosisxsophia

Jedi Master
..."wow, he/she is almost like a cat", unless it was in a less than positive context.

Reminds me of a quote from Christopher Hitchens;

Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.

Truer words I’m yet to one across 😊

neema

Jedi Council Member
I also think it’s a little matter of perspective.
I mean think about it. Which one is really smarter?
The one that obeys your every command and does amazing deeds to keep you happy, or the one who ends up giving you commands and makes you do amazing deeds to keep it happy! ;-D

dmnlksm

The Force is Strong With This One
Very different animals actually. Even their body language is very different. I have a 4 year old dog. My dog's name is Finn. My girlfriend also has a cat. The cat loves me very much. We can have fun with her. But I can say that dogs are much more sympathetic animals.

Actually they're all very funny :-D

Saman

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
My family used to have two cats. One of them was named Tiger who orginally 'belonged' to me and I took care of him as a kitten--the whole bottle feeding thing and all-- and later on life and in a different living situation, I still took care of him in our family but so did my mother and my younger brother when I was not there. He was a muscular orange and white Tabby with beautiful and symmetrical patterns and a white belly, and as he got older, he demanded more respect and he would let you know if you tried to pick him up when he didn't want to be. However, he was affectionate as well and would come and cuddle with you when he sensed you were actually upset. The other smaller cat name Baby that arrived much later after Tiger was also a little kitten from the start and originally my middle brother's cat. I remember how Tiger used to groom him when he first met him just like as if Baby was his own kitten. Baby was a half Persian and half Tabby and he was a very affectionate little kitty and would let you pick him up almost any time without complaint or he would on a regular basis come and do his little roll on your feet or come up on your chest if you were lying down and give you a gentle paw massage. Tiger did the paw massaging thing as well, but not as much as Baby. I miss them both very much. Below is an old pic I found on my computer from back in 2004 when they were lying down together.

As for dogs, I like them as well, but I like cats a bit more because for one. they are definitely much easier to take care of, and for two, I think they look cuter, with exceptions of course on the breeds of course. I have seen some dogs that are VERY cute, but usually mainly when they are just puppies, but this is my very subjective preference of cuteness.

I also think cats and dogs, like other animals, are different in terms of intelligence. I was very fond of a dog named Lady that I knew for over 11 years, but she acted more like a spoiled little princess than a dog for the most part. I mean she had trained her owners to hand feed her! LOL However she was very affectionate and loyal as well. Isn't our family dog so I can't post any of her pictures without permission.

As for loyalty with cat's and dogs, I think dogs are more loyal as most breeds will usually come and defend their owners if they sense they are in danger. I mean cats would just run like the scaredy cats they are right, or would they? Well, this video seems beg to differ:

Interesting. There are also stories about cats walking back miles to find their lost owners as well, so there is that sort of loyalty too, but same with dogs. Here is a couple of examples of both loyal and apparently not so loyal cats:

1. Loyal to cat 'owners and Cat's and other animal's geolocation ability/intelligence:

2. Loyal to cat 'owners' previous home: :lol:

Lastly here is short article talking about a study called "Cats actually do get attached to their owners, study says" that also compares to dogs and human babies.

Anyways, here is one very old pic: of our passed away kitties--sleepy tiger looks smaller than he actually was in this picture:

DSCF0047 (2).JPG

PERLOU

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Perlou.JPG
Là, c'est Ugo, jeune à gauche et Lili à droite, partie à 11 ans d'un Hemangiosarcome fulgurant ...

gaby ganie.jpg
Puis, Gaby et Granie, mes jumelles ...

DSC06242.JPG
Puis, vous avez mes deux derniers bébés Siamoise, Isatis et York, petite fille, Hella ...

DSC06270.JPG
Puis, vous avez Hella de nouveau, Duchesse, la chatonne de ma Maman que j'ai adoptée quand Maman nous a quittés le 7 mars 2015 et mon garçon York, Ugo qui a 18 ans ...

Nadège, Perlou Clovis Chris.jpg
Puis, vous avez ma fille Nadège, ma première génération de Yoks, Clovis dans les bras de ma fille qui nous a quitté à 18 ans et Perlou qui est dans mes bras, partie à l'âge de 16 ans ...

Je ne les aime pas, je les adore, ils sont aussi intelligents et différents les uns des autres ...
Je ne les aime pas, je les aime, ils sont aussi intelligents et différents les uns des autres ...

Luks

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
View attachment 39037
Là, c'est Ugo, jeune à gauche et Lili à droite, partie à 11 ans d'un Hemangiosarcome fulgurant ...

View attachment 39038
Puis, Gaby et Granie, mes jumelles ...

View attachment 39033
Puis, vous avez mes deux derniers bébés Siamoise, Isatis et York, petite fille, Hella ...

View attachment 39034
Puis, vous avez Hella de nouveau, Duchesse, la chatonne de ma Maman que j'ai adoptée quand Maman nous a quittés le 7 mars 2015 et mon garçon York, Ugo qui a 18 ans ...

View attachment 39035
Puis, vous avez ma fille Nadège, ma première génération de Yoks, Clovis dans les bras de ma fille qui nous a quitté à 18 ans et Perlou qui est dans mes bras, partie à l'âge de 16 ans ...

Je ne les aime pas, je les adore, ils sont aussi intelligents et différents les uns des autres ...
Je ne les aime pas, je les aime, ils sont aussi intelligents et différents les uns des autres ...
Cool :-)

I have a cat (catkin) and a dog (york male), they sometimes sleep next to the self but do not want to play any games with each other, too many difference between them. But if they need it, they love each other.

Top Bottom