Any GOOD horror movies?

An anime about a school and zombies :)

Gakkougurashi!
School-Live!

Yuki Takeya loves her school so much that she does not want to ever leave! Megurigaoka High School is a unique and lively place where Yuki enjoys her carefree life as a third-year high school student and member of the School Living Club. The club, consisting of the president Yuuri Wakasa, the athletic Kurumi Ebisuzawa, the mature junior Miki Naoki, the supervising teacher Megumi Sakura, and the club dog Taroumaru, prides itself on making the most of life at school. However, this illusion of endless bliss is just a bubble waiting to be burst because Yuki is unable to perceive what is truly happening around her. In reality, all is not as it seems—the real purpose of the School Living Club is to escape from the shocking and disturbing truth: the girls are in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and have barricaded themselves inside the school as the sole survivors.

Based on the manga by Kaihou Norimitsu, Gakkougurashi! follows a group of girls who are forced to adapt to a post-apocalyptic life all by themselves. They have no means of contact with the outside world and are surrounded by hostile undead waiting to devour them. The girls must not only contend with the challenge of survival; they must also strive to maintain a false appearance of normality in Yuki's presence.

Openings:

"The Mist" is scary without too much gore, but also thought provoking. People in a small town grocery store are trapped inside when when a GOVERNMENT EXPERIMENT GONE WRONG opens another dimension. Great example of how people react differently when confronted with an unknown threat.

This came to mind again because we are currently in the midst of a government experiment gone wrong.

I see all these theads are old, but one movie I saw that could perhaps be called horror is District 9.
It has an incredible lead performance and references the short story "metamorphosis".
Very karma like in that the director becomes the thing he looks down on.
Because of the presence of a giant ufo it has a questionable message about who the good guys are; because a giant ufo, even if presented as good in the movie, has very scary symbolic imagery. Plus there's a dark message to the movie's humor.; Like humanity is being mocked and laughed at by dark elete.
The movie is high satire though. The ufo is broken down, and all the worker prawns, yes prawns, are living in a junkyard. And prawns are nasty, at least to me.
The movie ends with the lead, transformed into a prawn, making flowers out of crap. He is hoping against hope to be reunited with his true love. This can only occur after the ufo returns, as promised,
To transform him back into a human. I found that sweet.

I see all these theads are old, but one movie I saw that could perhaps be called horror is District 9.
It has an incredible lead performance and references the short story "metamorphosis".
Very karma like in that the director becomes the thing he looks down on.
Because of the presence of a giant ufo it has a questionable message about who the good guys are; because a giant ufo, even if presented as good in the movie, has very scary symbolic imagery. Plus there's a dark message to the movie's humor.; Like humanity is being mocked and laughed at by dark elete.
The movie is high satire though. The ufo is broken down, and all the worker prawns, yes prawns, are living in a junkyard. And prawns are nasty, at least to me.
The movie ends with the lead, transformed into a prawn, making flowers out of crap. He is hoping against hope to be reunited with his true love. This can only occur after the ufo returns, as promised,
To transform him back into a human. Ya right. (As the guy says in the movie 'ya ok boss) I found that sweet though, his humanity. Also I posted this again with slight edit because the edit window timed out. So apologies.

I haven´t watched a real horror movie in a long, loooong time....
I watched them when I was a kid and during my teenage years mostly with my father, but then I´ve figured out that I actually don´t like this kind of movies.
I remember watching i.e. Poltergeist (1982), all sequels of A Nightmare on Elm Street, and so on, but the thing that gave me the creeps was 1960 The Time Machine: I remember I was a kid and I saw those morlocks´ eyes everywhere in the night..... 😱

Last year (or was it 2 years ago.... :huh: ) I did encounter one semi-horror series and started watching it because of all the old-school characters (vampires, witches, werewolves,....), and in the end - I did watch the series to the end. It was scary to me, on more occasions, especially parts with this medium woman.....

Series is named "Penny Dreadful" and I recommend it for ones who like vintage characters/monsters/stories. ;-)

Explorer Sir Malcolm Murray, American gunslinger Ethan Chandler, scientist Victor Frankenstein and medium Vanessa Ives unite to combat supernatural threats in Victorian London.

Some of literature's most terrifying characters, including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and iconic figures from the novel Dracula are lurking in the darkest corners of Victorian London. Penny Dreadful is a frightening psychological thriller that weaves together these classic horror origin stories into a new adult drama.

I won´t put trailers here due to explicit scenes in them, but when one opens the IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes links above, the trailers can be seen there.

The truth, is that in relation to horror movies, it seems to me that perhaps, happened something very similar to what, according to the C's, happened with music since certain decade on, that is, that "regressive forces" began to take the minds of some directors, and well, always considering great exceptions such as Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola from 1991, with a deep content and that rescues the esoteric essence of Bram Stocker's book of 1897, and even in my opinion, more than some of the first versions of the character, becoming a more romantic audiovisual proposal than terrifies.

But in general, definetly to me, that horror movies since the mid-60s and 70s forwards, begin to give a feeling of negative sadness, more than anything else.

Instead the old ones movies starring by actors like Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, etc, that's to say, decades 30, 40 or 50 or those of "hammer horror" that Laura mentioned, have another very different aura; of teaching, with a lot of symbolism and "information" that showing us the dark side of reality (that most mainstream or mass cinema refused to show for many years), and with certain touches of humor and even romance, and that leave a feeling of strange joy and enthusiasm.

The truth is that I declare myself an absolute lover of this kind of films, which far from "lowering" the frequency, on the contrary, leaves a feeling of contribution to the spirit... underrated jewels "B movies" for those that have eyes and ears for appreciate them in that way.

In this difficult time worldwide, I believe that these types of films help a lot to balance and cope with the negative charge out there, because it teaches us about the predatory nature that is "out there", and at the same time they teach us that we can overcome them, with love and humor, especially with humor! :-D

This classic for example from Victor Halperin called "White Zombie", and that is about to turn 90 (1932) starring by John Harron, Madeleine Short, Robert Frazer and Bela Lugosi who plays the role of a "black magician" in charge of zombie slaves, that through hypnosis and spells, make works in his sugar factory. A movie to watch even alone, or at night, without that negative feeling that characterizes the most modern films of the genre.

I have not seen a good horror movie in years. Gore flicks and jump scares don't fit the bill. Or rather they don't anymore, complete lack of depth and dreadfully boring. Horror is suposed to be at least scary and stay with you for awhile. It's the season for it why oh why can't I find any? The last one I saw was Twixt. It is honestly a cool atmospheric true gothic horror. No gore or BS. I do recommend it. But nothing on xfinity, netflix or hulu that is worthwhile. Have any of you found anything good?

The trailer for Twixt:

I did find the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia cool for anime horror ... better if you don't watch the Ferris Beuler ending of it (after the credits). But, well it is anime and comes with certain things that you would expect.
A sinister sect: colonia dignidad. (Netflix)
Plot: Post-World War II, German preacher Paul Schäfer establishes a youth home but is soon accused of abuse. He flees to Chile, where he starts a new colony.
A Sinister Sect: Colonia Dignidad, the horrors of a German Christian colony established in Chile in 1961 are brought to light. The story has been told in films likeColonia, but in this docuseries, we hear from survivors and experts alike. Led by abusive, manipulative German fugitive Paul Schäfer, the group tortured its members, and left lifelong scars on the children it claimed to be helping.
A colony of German Christians with a charismatic and manipulative leader becomes instrumental to the 1973 coup d’etat. The crimes are many, and the sect endures.
You will recognize the modus operandi.
A must see.

Scare for scare you can see "Vacancy" (2007) directed by Nimród Antal. It is a really, really, really, a very scary movie. Here is a little information about the story:

A married couple becomes stranded at an isolated motel ...
vacancy-530642038-large.jpg
That's it. I don't want to say anymore because you need to feel the surprise when you start to see the movie. So my advice is do not read anything, ANYTHING, about this movie. just look the movie and feel scared. I was unable to see all the movie, I was too scare. I ask to my husband the end of the movie. I think this is one of the last terror movies I saw, after that I decided that this genre is too much for my heart.

My advice is also not to look at any preview of the movie. Previews are bad, in general, they give you all the movie in short, no surprise at all when you see the movie. In terror and horror movies the surprise is the elixir that you need to take, drop by drop, like the tic tac of a bomb or the toc toc of your heart.

Shutter, but original Thai movie, I am the fan of horror and this one was true gem. The best horror movies deftly balance the scares and story. They elicit severe chills yet keep us engaged with fleshed-out characters and narrative.

I just watched this, and it was incredible. Best movie I've watched in quite a while. The horror in it is not purely physical or gore-based, but rather the mind-bending spiritual psychology of Initiation. Plus it's based on a 13th Century poem that links directly to the Grail myths. So this film is also 'in tune' with some of the stuff we've learned in SHOTW.

Edit: there's some hilarious woke doctrine in the casting... but if you can look past an actor from the Indian subcontinent playing Gawain, I find that the storyline is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom