Any Chinese speakers? New blog

Excellent. I look forward to reading your blog whenever you have updates. Who knows? There may be many Chinese speakers interested one day.

Interestingly, I recently started reviewing and studying Chinese again (when time allows), and found an excellent method to do it. I'm VERY far from your level, but it would be SO cool if one day we get to have SOTT in Chinese too, so keep it up, and maybe I'll catch up with you enough so that we can do it! :scooter: I always wonder what the Chinese media are saying, and it's frustrating to see how little gets translated. So, what you are doing is a very good step. I would suggest not limiting yourself to The Wave, if one day you feel like translating or commenting on a news article, for example. It's all related anyway. And have fun too.

[quote author=Chu]Interestingly, I recently started reviewing and studying Chinese again (when time allows), and found an excellent method to do it.[/quote]

Oh?

Would you mind sharing? Sounds interesting.

[quote author=Chu]I'm VERY far from your level,[/quote]

I never take people's self estimation (Or estimations of others' levels) at face value. I like to determine that for myself.

That said, since we cannot simply "have a chat" so that I can observe your current level, maybe a self estimation (no matter how crude) is the first and only place to start.

So, if I may ask, what IS your current level?

[quote author=Chu]but it would be SO cool if one day we get to have SOTT in Chinese too, so keep it up, and maybe I'll catch up with you enough so that we can do it![/quote]

Which makes it all the more important that you network so that we can get there quicker!

I think the above also highlights the importance of language aquisituion in general, which makes me wonder if I should start posting more about the subject...

[quote author=Chu]I always wonder what the Chinese media are saying, and it's frustrating to see how little gets translated.[/quote]

Same here, although I am more stunned by the sheer lack of journalistic principles and practices here (In Taiwan anyway, I cannot speak for the Chinese media, though I have my suspicions it's just as dismal).

[quote author=Chu]So, what you are doing is a very good step.[/quote]

Much obliged, thank you for the encouragement.

[quote author=Chu]I would suggest not limiting yourself to The Wave, if one day you feel like translating or commenting on a news article, for example. It's all related anyway. And have fun too.[/quote]

I would, only... Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I'd go a step further than saying "it's all related", I'd say that the wave series constitutes the "Core" in what can be termed "a Sottist world of concepts", and that the various perspectives offered by Sott.net all spring forth from that source.

It's obviously more complicated than that, and I could go on, but am I on the right track here?

Therefore, wouldn't a commentary, say, offering a "Sottist" perspective, be lost on a mind that hasn't yet struggled internally against his old world of concepts for the new one, as fleshed out in the wave?

When we see comments written on Sott by people who, by writing what they do, clearly demonstrate a lack of this "Core knowledge", don't we refer them to the Wave so they can "get up to speed"?

Is the Wave what awakens one to conscience?

A while ago I lent "The sociopath next door", translated into Chinese, to my mother in law, and she liked the book, but said it didn't give her pragmatic advice on what to DO.

I puzzled over this for a while, then I realised that, the reason why the book hadn't helped her much is because she didn't use the information in the book to deconstruct her own memories/reflections/experiences and build them up again upon a newer, more objective foundation as laid out in the book.

Then, I stopped thinking about the subject matter of the book and focused on this act of metacognition, this "knowing about knowing". With certain books, it isn't enough to just read it, one has to reflect upon it deeply and sincerely, making new sense of one's own experiences, casting new light upon old memories.

I suspect that the degree of which one performs and refines this metacognitive skill is what determines how said materials changes one's life.

The nessesity for this organic process, and that very mental discipline itself, was, for me at least, seeded by the Wave, so what other work could be more important?

Maybe for now the fucus should be on translating the Wave, especially since it's just me and my wife doing this, but then, if/when the universe reacts in unexpected ways, then we should remain flexible and amend our positions?

Thank you again for the encouragement, it's much appreciated.
Robin

Update:

The Chinese version of the introduction to the Wave series is up now on:

_http://robinturner715.wordpress.com/author/robinturner715/

Thanks,
Robin

As far as I remember there are also a few other people on this forum who can read and write chinese. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask them as well if they would like to work help you on putting up translations?

[quote author=Pashalis]As far as I remember there are also a few other people on this forum who can read and write chinese. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask them as well if they would like to work help you on putting up translations?[/quote]

That would be absolutely brilliant, but as far as I know, there aren’t many people who can read and write Chinese on the forum. Out of the few that I know about, there is Eddie, who has been addressed by Chu here:

[quote author=Chu]how many Chinese speakers are there in our forum now, and how many could give a hand putting something together? Eddie, are you still around? Anyone else apart from Robin T.?[/quote]

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25460.0.html

Eddie’s last post on the 20th of October, 2011, and he doesn’t seem to be involved in the current discussion anymore.

I also asked for help on the general notice board here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35357.msg505963.html#msg505963

And then, after no responses from other forum members, I did a bit of searching, and tried to “fish out” this member (Qiaodan668) from another topic by giving him updated materials of my other translation works:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16703.msg506828.html#msg506828

Qiaodan668 said:

qiaodan668 said:
Hi I am really interested to your work, would be marvelous if you can send me the file containing the English and Chinese version together as you started in the first post.

Thanks in advance.

乔丹

Now, this post was written on the 30th of November, 2013, and it was his second to last post, the final one being written on the 1st of December, 2013.

So, if there are other ways to attract people to help us out, I am all ears!

Thanks,
Robin

Update:

We have translated The Wave: Chapter One into Chinese, anyone interested in checking it out can go to my blog: _https://robinturner715.wordpress.com/author/robinturner715/

If there are any questions, we will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
Robin

Update:

The Wave: Chapter 2 has been completed and uploaded onto Transop and my blog.

(Same website as the above.)

Thanks,
Robin

Back
Top Bottom