Another take on 'noise'

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Just come across the latin root for the word 'noise' which may give a different perspective on the phrase 'signal to noise ratio'.

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English noise "noise," from early French noise "quarrel, loud noise," from Latin nausea "seasickness, nausea," derived from Greek nautemacrons "sailor" --related to NAUSEA --see Word History at NAUSEA
1 : a loud, confused, or senseless shouting or outcry
1b; especially : a loud, harsh, or unharmonious sound b : an unwanted signal in an electronic communication system
Word History Although loud noise may make us sick, we probably do not think of the words noise and nausea as having much in common. But the word noise came into English from early French, in which it meant "quarrel, loud noise." French had it from the Latin word nausea meaning "seasickness, nausea." Perhaps the original connection was with the unpleasant sounds or complaints made by seasick passengers or sailors. Nausea, after all, came from the Greek word for sailor, nautemacrons.

I'm wondering if the more you learn to discern 'signal' from 'noise', the more that you can also have a visceral response to 'noise' or feel nauseous?

Hello Jones, I think that those who are trained to play or perform musically can probably discern the signal from the noise a lot easier than those who do not have this experience.
I have played and sung next to people who are totally tone deaf (yet trying to add their input) and yet I managed to hold the notes.
This skill has come in handy somewhat in my later years as I battle with tinnitus and can still discern what people are saying, although my wife might disagree with me on that.
Dolby had the right idea, suppressing everything so that the noise level disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom