Andrew Graham Dixon Art Historian

SlipNet

The Living Force
I've found a greater appreciation for art and art history in recent years. How ideas are conveyed through use of colour, shapes and symbols makes the whole act of viewing great art tremendously interesting. How one sees, as well as what is being seen, becomes a symbiotic act.

Andrew Graham Dixon is a very decent historian, who has made numerous art documentaries for the BBC. Yeah I know their politics suck, but art/music/culture wise, they're still pretty good, especially when Dixon is involved in the work.

I've found a lecture by Dixon here, and among the interested listeners is Roger Scruton, noted philospher and classical conservative. I've no doubt this lecture was right up his street. The lecture is a wee look at the spiritual in art, pretty interesting. The part about making places of worship a visual text for the uninitiated is particularly good.

Here's a second lecture, reflections on childhood. This one focuses on the nativity and its place in the pantheon of works on the human experience. Childhood for me was a time of joy and wonder, which has led to sensational discoveries, mainly on here, naturally.

Andrew Graham Dixon is a very decent historian, who has made numerous art documentaries for the BBC. Yeah I know their politics suck, but art/music/culture wise, they're still pretty good, especially when Dixon is involved in the work.

I'm with you on the above SlipNet. Andrew has been around as long as I can remember and he still brings that delightful combination of floppy haired eccentricity, studious respectfulness and a distinctively cavalier dash of wonder and relish.

There are still quite a few of his series floating around YouTube including (sadly only parts) of I think his first -

renaissance art - andrew graham-dixon

I also enjoyed the below 4 parter:

The Secret of Drawing

I'm with you on the above SlipNet. Andrew has been around as long as I can remember and he still brings that delightful combination of floppy haired eccentricity, studious respectfulness and a distinctively cavalier dash of wonder and relish.

There are still quite a few of his series floating around YouTube including (sadly only parts) of I think his first -

renaissance art - andrew graham-dixon

I also enjoyed the below 4 parter:

The Secret of Drawing

Thanks for the links, Mike. He did a very good series on Gothic Art too, I'm going to have a search to see if it's on YT. Damn copyright laws always get in the way of my ever growing docs archive.

Back
Top Bottom