America - Covert Dictatorship

aurora

Jedi Master
As I reflect back when I was a 4th grader in an elementary school in a southern city of Turkiye when we had a c'oup d'etat by the Turkish Army. But this c'oup d'etat was not a fascist one, only to prevent the fascist rule of the government. I woud like to give some background of our republic. At the end of WW I, when the Ottoman Empire sided with Germany, we were defeated and invaded by the English, French, Italians, our army dispersed, arms confiscated, the docks etc. etc. everything taken away.

The British Empire used the Greeks to attack us promising to help them in any way. But they didn't or couldn't just after a major world war. Anyway we fought our Independence War under conditions so deplorable it was like a miracle how we won. But we had a great leader who was a great commander and a great politician. He formed the SECULAR Turkish Republic with one party in 1923. He made a lot of reforms, closing all the religous schools, giving women the right to vote and to be voted, disposed of the Halife (which means the heir to Prophet Mohammed- the Sultan was considered the Halife), changing the alphabet from Arabic into Latin etc. etc. When he died in 1938 WW II was about to begin.

His successor coming from the military and having fought wars, did not side with any nation in WW II and Turkiye did not fight the war although there was a lot of pressure from both sides to make us enter the war on their side. In 1946 we had another party, and they came to power in 1950. From then on they started to destroy every reform that had been made, drunk with the majority they had in the parliament. They were again chosen in 1954 but in 1957 they did a lot of tricks to win the election and they won again. The prime minister, drunk with his victory, is claimed to have said, " I can become the Sultan if I so desired." By then Turkiye was having trouble in finances, the government spending without regard to our budget etc. we had a very big devaluation (about 58 %) and for the first time we borrowed money from IMF and still do.

Protests began in the media, the students were protesting too. But they began to censor the newspapers. I remember seeing newspapes with blank places, censored writing were not printed and nothing else was printed in place either. Arrests of protestors and political opponents began. There was a big protest meeting in Ankara on the 5th of May, 1960. People informed one another of the meeting with the code 555 K (meaning on the 5th day of the 5th month at 5 o'clock pm in Kizilay) This was an illegal protest of course and the police shot a lot of people. Then on the 27th of May 1960 the Army arrested all the members of the parliament and the president. They were tried in military courts and 3 of them, the prime minister and 2 ministers were convicted to death. And next year normal political regime started again.

Turkiye has fought a lot of wars especially starting from 1912 (The Balkan wars) up till 1923 almost non-stop. We as a nation do not like to fight unless to defend our country and as Ataturk said "Peace at home, peace in the World."
As I draw parallels between USA and the Ottoman Empire or any other empire that stayed on the world stage, there will come a time when they will all decline and disentegrate but devastating the lives and livelihoods of a lot of their people and the peoples of the world in the process. The insatiable greed for power will make those leaders blind to some simple thruths which will make the ground on which they stand cave in. I also remember those films, documentaries and books about the WW II which have been shown or read by the US citizens too. But I presume it has not been enough because just after that war, the Cold War was on stage with more propaganda against it than fascism.

The situation of the world is extraordinary so it requires extraordinary measures from us all, the people who can see and analyze and draw conclusions. I think we are nearing a WW III where there will be no winners. We have a common border with Iran ( which has not been violated since 1699) and our longest border is with Syria in the south. Turkiye might be on their list next with their plan of reshaping the Middle East. A book published by two turkish authors, named The Metal Storm tells of such a scenario. Turkey has been tried to be divided into smaller parts by agents provacateurs of first the British, then many other nations. Divide and conquer. An investigative journalist Mr. Ugur Mumcu was assasinated just for that, telling the truth about the British, the petroleum companies and printing books.

A lot other intellectuals have been cleared by planting bombs in their cars or delivering bomb letters. Israel is buying land in Turkiye and Israeli mothers are giving birth to their children in Turkiye so that they will be considered citizens. I hope that there will be some powerful people who can put some sense into the minds of these mad men. But I do not have much hope, the escalating tension will explode someday. The law of physics - for every action there is a reaction. I don't want my life to be " A tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury." quoted from Shakespeare. But I am a fighter; I will fight by trying to bring awareness to people, beginning by my family (which I am already doing) to friends, neighbors, taxi drivers or to people I don't know while waiting in line etc My son tells me someday you'll get into trouble. And if it comes to that, I am not afraid. Living in fear is what they want us to do, freezing in fear, being paralized and not being able to think soundly.

Living in an age where every word is being hollowed of its real meaning and a new vocabulary is being created, the masses being dozed with all kinds of opium, the fashion, sports games, soap operas, religion, fear of diseases,
financial problems. Ordinary men and women live in a man made dream where they are actually drowned in despair or ecstacy and are used as food. TIME TO WAKE UP !! WAKE UP OR GO TO SLEEP FOREVER !

Aurora

I appreciate your post -- it is very good to see things from another perspective. I would be very interested to hear your opinion on the Kurdish question. In our media it is made out to be a very important and divisive issue -- but is it for ordinary Turkish people? Is it an issue at all?

ellie mae said:
I appreciate your post -- it is very good to see things from another perspective. I would be very interested to hear your opinion on the Kurdish question. In our media it is made out to be a very important and divisive issue -- but is it for ordinary Turkish people? Is it an issue at all?
I would like to know if the Kurdish people have semetic genetic origins? Is this why they are being systematically oppressed - no matter what. It could be a reason, I suppose. But they do seem to be having a rough time lately.

Sorry I could not reply earlier. My son had a very bad case of tonsillitis for about a week now, his throat almost closed with the swollen glands, has pain swallowing anything.
So in reply to Ellie Mae:

Yes, I think we have a Kurdish issue but I do not know how it is portrayed in the western media. It all started in 1925, when a kurdish group led by Saidi El Nursi started an armed uprising and attacking the ciry Diyarbakir in the southeastern part of Turkey. It was aided and provocated by the UK. The uprising was not successful but after this incident, the kurds were punished for it. They were punished in that the schools and factories were set up elsewhere. The kurds were always considered a loyal part of the Ottoman Empire since they were also devoted muslims. Religion was the binding bond during the Ottoman Empire. But just after 2 years after founding a new Republic, and fighting colonialism and imperialism for the first time in history, this uprising was labelled as treachery, since they helped us in our Independence war. The new Republic agreed to pay the debts of the Ottoman Empire, the country was in ruins, male population low due to wars, educated population was also very low since we had lost a lot in wars especially in the war in Gallipoli (250,000 dead on our side only - including medicine school students, french highschool students etc.) Around the end of 1968 when the student protests raged the world, we had the repercussions here as leftist ideals began shaping and ideas like freedom to peoples of the world, including kurds also. Then things began to detoriate after the middle of 1970's when kurds began forming armed militia fighting against the republic with Abdullah Ocalan as the leader. In 1980 we had another coup d'etat which was very bad and it was engineered by provocators both local and international. After the 80's the kurdish guerilla war intensified and the Turkish Army fought them, losing more than 15,000 soldiers in the course. They wanted to have their own country in the south eastern part of Turkey. After Ocalan was caught and brought to Turkiye, this fight cooled down. And now kurdish parties are formed and they are trying to promote their cause through democratic ways. Yes they have been provocated and used by other nations especially the UK which hated Ataturk and what he had done, setting an example for other oppressed and colonized nations . (1981 was chosen by UN to commemorate Ataturk for his deeds against colonialism and imperialism)Yes our country was wrong in treating them that way for a long time. Things have changed some maybe not to a gretaer extent but the issue is a bit complicated. There are other issues also like the kurdish landlords who want the status quo.

In Reply to Ruth:
I really do not know about the genetic origins of kurds. But as for Turkish genes, it was found to be very mixed. Only very small groups of Turkmens who have more or less pure genes. Anatolia was at the crossroads of a lot of immigrations and is also considered to be a cradle of civilizations. We invited the jews from Spain who were being oppressed about 500 years ago, we have russian immigrants, tatars, polish, etc. etc. A lot of German professors also came to Turkey escaping Germany and stayed and worked during the second WW II. My father had lots of German teachers at the medicine school, they used translators.

Back
Top Bottom