AmazonSmile vs Amazon Associates Program (affiliate program)

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
[This post is intended to be in the private forum.]

I was looking at the Amazon affiliate program, named Amazon Associates Program, where the general products commission rate starts at 4.0%, easily reaches 6.0%, and maxes out at 8.5%. There are also categories with fixed commission rates.

Then I verified that Amazon Smile only donates 0.5%.

The Amazon affiliate program also includes all purchases for 24 hours after the click through as long as the cookie remains on the computer and no other affiliate link is clicked.

So I wondered if the organization would be in a better position if it used the Amazon affiliate program instead of Amazon Smile. There is the problem of unrelated business income, which might be overcome if the affiliate links are placed on the website of an arm of the organization that already pays unrelated business income. I don't know if links that people put in the forum for Amazon could be changed to refer to the website with affiliate link.

For a commission example, 111 quantity purchased in the general products category would result in a 7.0% commission rate for the month. That's not 111 orders, that's 111 quantity, and I'd imagine many orders will have more than 1 quantity in the order. Even at the lowest rate 4.0%, that's 8 times greater than AmazonSmile 0.5% before taxes.

I thought of this because I read about people making thousands a month from the Amazon affiliate program and wondered about creating a personal website for the affiliate program.

_https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/
_https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/help/operating/advertisingfees

_http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/ch/about
How much of my purchase does Amazon donate?
The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases.

hlat said:

Why? The information you posted has nothing "private" in it. :huh: Besides, if you want to send something "private", you can send a message to moderators. Otherwise, the moment you post it on the open forum, it is being grabbed by search engines and stops being "private". Surely you know that?

The Amazon Affiliate program was not an option since it's verboten in NC where our USA headquarters is located. For tax reasons, we'd need to use our US address, so it's a no-go.

Keit said:
hlat said:

Why? The information you posted has nothing "private" in it. :huh: Besides, if you want to send something "private", you can send a message to moderators. Otherwise, the moment you post it on the open forum, it is being grabbed by search engines and stops being "private". Surely you know that?

I didn't think my first post contained any private information. I thought responses to the first post might contain private information. I do know the search engines take everything from public forums, and that fact is an obstacle I struggle with in posting anything that I think might need privacy.

Back
Top Bottom