Am I supposed to build this?

Meg

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I dreamt that I was in charge of a "machine". It was a box of sorts. If you can picture a red tail-light, surrounded in brass with a latticed brass covering the front of it, where the red "light" is. I haven't read much on dream analysis or symbolism. In the Power of Myth, Campbell suggests taking one or 2 things from the dream and analyze them. I presumed that I was angry (red) and it was being partially uncovered, which is true.

I woke with the feeling that the machine was important and I had to do something with it. Build it, find it or get rid of it!

Did you get any sense of what the machine 'did'? Do you think it was external, or a part of you?

What a great question. It felt like something I created, so I will say internal. I got the sense that it was going to correct or cure something in me and with the world.

meg said:
What a great question. It felt like something I created, so I will say internal. I got the sense that it was going to correct or cure something in me and with the world.
Well, it's actually a pretty elementary question - since it is your dream, chances are this machine is either representing something within you or something acting on you from outside.

I'm no expert, but considering 4th way work, a machine acting as something to cure you or the world is a bit askew - but there could be other implications.

Perhaps remembering the emotional feelings surrounding your impression that it was going to cure or correct something might lend a clue. After all, it is a machine - therefore it is limited in a sense - just some thoughts.

I would say no, your not supposed to build it, mostly because the dream didn't seem to give you any instruction or intuitive awareness of what was to be done. In fact, considering your asking peeps if you're supposed to do this is suggestive that the answer is no.

I would go with Anart's interpretation, given how much 'man as a machine' is a concept in the fourth way. And given that you were in charge of this machine it could be another way of seeing it as yourself.

Cyre2067 said:
I would say no, your not supposed to build it, mostly because the dream didn't seem to give you any instruction or intuitive awareness of what was to be done. In fact, considering your asking peeps if you're supposed to do this is suggestive that the answer is no.

I would go with Anart's interpretation, given how much 'man as a machine' is a concept in the fourth way. And given that you were in charge of this machine it could be another way of seeing it as yourself.
I appreciate the thoughts. The reference to man & the machine make sense in light of the emotions surrounding the dream. Time to continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom