Alice in Wonderland Syndrome

According to Wikipedia:

"Alice in Wonderland syndrome (AIWS, named after the novel written by Lewis Carroll), also known as Todd's syndrome, is a disorienting neurological condition which affects human perception. Sufferers may experience micropsia, macropsia, and/or size distortion of other sensory modalities."

My wife and I are both prone to this. She actually had a case of this last night, and after speaking to her on the phone, found out that today she has migraine symptoms. While under the effects of AIWS, she typically sees things as being small and far away. She describes her field of vision as being like looking through the large end of a cone towards the small end, for instance, like looking through a telescope backwards. I typically experience this phenomenon as objects seeming very close and large, for instance it feels like I could lay in bed and reach out and touch the ceiling or the wall across the room. This typically happens when I am tired and am preparing to go to sleep.

My questions are:

What is the cause of Alice in Wonderland syndrome? What are the implications of the altered perception of 3rd dimensional space while undergoing these symptons? Is this some form of 4th dimensional "bleedthrough ?"

This happens to me too. I've had it occur while trying to fall asleep, while concentrating at my desk, and while doing the EE breathing exercises. I'm not sure what causes it, but it certainly is a strange feeling and something that has happened to me often over the years.

Strange feeling indeed. :)

It would be interesting to know what this means in terms beyond brain physiology.

I like your name and avatar, by the way. I have an interest in Norse mythology myself. Heimdall is a nice choice. ;D I even went and got myself a runic tattoo a few years ago of Algiz a.k.a. Eolkh.

Back
Top Bottom