Advanced vision testing?

highmystica

Jedi Master
I had a most interesting dream recently. In the dream I came home and found my mom scowling over a national geographic with a measure of angst. She said something like "would you look at this" and flipped back a few pages and handed me the magazine. Anyway the article was about this new kind of test for vision. The test went way beyond testing for red-green color blindness or shade blindness but went even into the "primitives" people use to see, sorry for using computer geek lingo - a different word was used in my dream but I can't remember it. Anyway, in the test there were two pictures - done in kinda abstract line art and a mix of color and regardless of which one you looked at first you could find all the images in the first picture, but you would have a hard time finding all the little images in the second picture (a small percentage could find them all) and based on what the last images were that you couldn't find you could look up your profile on the following page. Incidently I scored the same as my mom. I did notice something about the test while I was examining the pictures, and that was that there were more than one copy of an image in a picture, one made with color, and one hidden in the shades I'm sure there were other variations but I woke up before I finished examining it. I'm wondering if indeed there are tests like this? Does anyone know, or do I gotta wait for the next issue of national geographic?

reminds me of a picture game i played as a kid... was one large picture and inside the picture was smaller objects embedded into the image. You have to pick out the objects, it would tell you what objects were listed and you tried to find em all.

The test you describe sounds a little more intricate, but basically the same thing, or so i think....

It does indeed sound similar. Indeed, the images were all "cartoony" looking - the test was designed for kids just entering into school. Another interesting thing I failed to mention was the psychological aspect of it - when finding the images in the second picture one already had an idea of how those images would be constructed, and thus make it very difficult to find at least one of them in the second picture unless you waited awhile and came back to the pictures with a fresh mind-set - then of course another image in the first picture would give you trouble instead.

When I was in school I had to take a similar test to get into the gifted program. I failed, not the particular test, but when asked to define freedom of speech and what it means to americans, I told them there was no such thing, and proceded to list all of the things you couldn't say.

The test as I remember was to find inconsistencies in various images, and another was to identify hidden objects within the picture. One was of a house and yard with things like upside down windows etc, the other was an image that concealed another image inside of it in such a way that you either saw one image, or another, but not both. You know what I mean, like the forest that is really the beard of jesus, the clouds are his eyes etc.

Back
Top Bottom