Abused children's brains work like soldiers' do

Eongar

Dagobah Resident
I found this notice and it's awesome. This means that a child abused is living psychologically a war.

Abused children's brains work like soldiers' do

The brains of children from violent homes function like those of soldiers when it comes to detecting threats.

Eamon McCrory at University College London used fMRI to scan the brains of 20 outwardly healthy children who had been maltreated and 23 "controls" from safe environments.

During the scans, the children, aged 12 on average, viewed a mixture of sad, neutral and angry faces. When they saw angry faces, the maltreated children showed extra activity in the amygdala and the anterior insula, known to be involved in threat detection and anticipation of pain. Combat soldiers show similar heightened activity (Current Biology, DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2011.10.015).

"Our belief is that these changes could reflect neural adaption," says McCrory. "Maltreated kids and active soldiers are adapting to survive in a threatening or dangerous environment." Although this could help children survive their early years, it may predispose them to mental health problems in adulthood, such as depression or anxiety, says McCrory.

A related study, published this week by Hilary Blumberg of Yale University School of Medicine and colleagues, demonstrates that areas of the brain important for emotional processing are deficient in grey matter in adolescents who suffered from maltreatment as children (Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, DOI: 10.1001/archpediatrics.2011.565).

"The studies suggest that childhood maltreatment ‘gets into the brain', and becomes biologically embedded," says Avshalom Caspi, who studies mental health at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21245-abused-childrens-brains-work-like-soldiers-do.html

And that certainly includes abusive education systems, such as the one in France, for example, which is well known for its abusive approach. No wonder the French are the way they are!

This comment makes me think also about the bullying. For abused children in schools, going to class is the same as going into battlefield. Psychologically very few children can endure this, even using dissociative defense mechanisms. We can better understand why some children become even suicide. The world is horrible ...

Álvaro said:
This comment makes me think also about the bullying. For abused children in schools, going to class is the same as going into battlefield. Psychologically very few children can endure this, even using dissociative defense mechanisms. We can better understand why some children become even suicide. The world is horrible ...

Perhaps it is better to say that the world is ignorant?

Maybe ... I know how horrible it is subjective, but it's -flicking-g see so much suffering and sometimes one just wondering if there is hope to all that happens.
EmeraldHope said:
Álvaro said:

Maybe ... I know how horrible it is subjective, but it's -flicking-g see so much suffering and sometimes one just wondering if there is hope to all that happens.

Álvaro said:
Maybe ... I know how horrible it is subjective, but it's -flicking- see so much suffering and sometimes one just wondering if there is hope to all that happens.
EmeraldHope said:
Álvaro said:

Maybe ... I know how horrible it is subjective, but it's -flicking- see so much suffering and sometimes one just wondering if there is hope to all that happens.

Keep in mind that potential is infinite and that non linear effects can work wonders. ( as long as we can DO from an acausal standpoint :) )

Back
Top Bottom