Absolutely Massive Wolf Filmed In Northern Saskatchewan

Debra

Dagobah Resident
I have had the experience of seeing a live Timber wolf several times in my life.
They are HUGE animals.
Timber wolves are considered "lone wolves" by old time residents, hunters and trappers in the Northern Alberta area that I grew up in. They don't seem to hunt or run in a Pack, yet all the Biologists and textbooks insist that they do.

This wolf is very tall and filled out compared to the dog.
The Dog, Trigger, appears to be possibly a malamute Husky/mixed breed, which are very common and popular Camp dogs in the Northern areas.

1580681044325.png

"The man who shot the video said,

“I work as a fishing guide in northern Saskatchewan and I shot this video on one of our trails around the lodge.We get a lot of bears that come around the lodge but this year we had a black wolf that started to come around for a few days. We spotted the wolf through the window of the kitchen in the lodge and I made my way outside with the camera. The lodge manager Dan went for the shotgun.
When I started to take pictures the wolf left, then returned a few minutes later and that’s when Trigger took after the wolf. The wolf waited for Trigger to turn away from him and that’s when he grabbed the dog in the back end and threw her up in the air right in front of me. Dan shot the shotgun into the air and that broke the fight up. The wolf turned and left, we followed the wolf into the bush and shot again to scare him off. The wolf came back two more times that day looking for the dog we think. Trigger had a few good wounds and cuts but she is fine now.”

Wow, what a beautiful wolf. Hopefully the dog is ok but uf, I would not like to see my Arturo in that situation! :cry:
Yes, and a pretty impressive size wolf at that.

Have a look at this Deer entanglement and what happened at Calgary (amazing shot) - video not embedded:

Calgary wildlife officer uses shotgun to free deer who locked antlers

As Russ Wright drove home on Wednesday, he spotted two deer in a field south of Calgary — but something wasn’t right.

“I stopped and realized these deer had locked antlers,” Wright said. “That’s crazy because you just don’t see that. They were locked tight.”

At first, Wright said he thought one of the deer was dead and called Fish and Wildlife.

Scott Kallweit, sergeant for Calgary’s Fish and Wildlife district, answered the call.

“It was pretty dynamic in terms of them moving around and bouncing around,” Kallweit said. “I knew they had a lot of energy. It was a good possibility that they were probably not going to get separated by themselves.”

Kallweit said tranquillizing the animals crossed his mind, but he said that could have meant a deadly outcome.

“You run the risk of having one immobilized deer while the other one still full of life,” he said. “Being the only officer on scene, that was a limiting option.”

Kallweit grabbed his 12 gauge shotgun, which was loaded with slugs.

His first and only shot hit the antlers of one of the deer, which separated them.

“It was the most unbelievable thing you’ve ever seen,” Wright said. “Scott was terrific and very professional. [He] made a beautiful shot, freed the deer and they live to see another day.”

Kallweit said it was the best possible outcome.

“As an officer, we do enjoy seeing these animals run free and we hope for the best that they survived,” Kallweit said.

He has the piece of antler he shot off and said since deer are losing their antlers this time of year, it won’t mean any long-term damage for the animal.

“[Deer] naturally regrow these antlers starting again in the spring anyway so it’s something they go through every year,” Kallweit said.
Wright said it is great to know the deer get a second chance.

“These deer have been hunted for the last couple of months. They made it through the season,” Wright said. “What [Kallweit] did was let them… live again.”

A couple of possibilities:

- The video is fake
- The video is real and we can see something like the dire wolf. That species is supposed to have gone extinct but roamed the earth until the end of the last ice age and ate primarily "wild horses and bison with an occasional feast on mastodon and giant ground sloths" and could apparently grow as big as a small horse.
- It is one of those strange semi real wolfs that were also documented on the infamous Skinwalker Ranch
- It is some sort of areal imprint/recording captured on video from the extinct dire wolf (or something similar) that roamed in that area thousands of years ago

- The video is fake
- The video is real and we can see something like the dire wolf. That species is supposed to have gone extinct but roamed the earth until the end of the last ice age and ate primarily "wild horses and bison with an occasional feast on mastodon and giant ground sloths" and could apparently grow as big as a small horse.
- It is one of those strange semi real wolfs that were also documented on the infamous Skinwalker Ranch
- It is some sort of areal imprint/recording captured on video from the extinct dire wolf (or something similar) that roamed in that area thousands of years ago
The video looks pretty real to me!

- The video is fake

There probably isn't any reason to go the "fake video" or "supernatural" path, or so I think.
As I mentioned in my post, I myself have witnessed wolves of exceptional size, when I was living in Alberta.

The abundance of wildlife is amazing in the Northern Latitudes of Alberta and Saskatchewan, actually all of the Canadian Provinces.
There are hundreds of miles of uninhabited wild Forests.

For instance, this story discusses the wolves in Northern Saskatchewan becoming a danger due to scavenging unsecured human garbage, at a Uranium mine camp.

"[...] her headlights illuminated a scene that was anything but a fist fight: a wolf with its jaws around the neck of a 26-year-old kitchen worker.
The truck’s arrival spooked the wolf away and the security guard, who has declined media interviews, sprang out to provide first aid.
An adult gray wolf can easily bite through even the thickest moose bones; a fleshy human neck provides little obstacle. A few more seconds and the worker likely would have been dead instead of recuperating in hospital.

“A single wolf basically pounced on him,” was what a mine representative told the press.

This wolf print picture was taken at a camp near Cigar Lake, Saskatewan, Canada.
1580759191223.png

That wolf is huge!! Does anyone have any idea what kind of dog it was in the video? It looks like a breed of Husky to me but not sure which one.

That wolf is huge!! Does anyone have any idea what kind of dog it was in the video? It looks like a breed of Husky to me but not sure which one.
Debra wrote:The Dog, Trigger, appears to be possibly a malamute Husky/mixed breed, which are very common and popular Camp dogs in the Northern areas.
Good to know the dog is fine.

Here is video 2 of the same black Timber wolf in the first video I posted.
You get a much better look at the wolf in this one.
The Photographers name is Chris Street.
He has a very interesting Youtube site of his own, filled with informative and educational videos that he has recorded in the Canadian wilderness.

Debra wrote:The Dog, Trigger, appears to be possibly a malamute Husky/mixed breed, which are very common and popular Camp dogs in the Northern areas.
Good to know the dog is fine.

Thanks, I missed that. From the looks of it the malamute females get to be around 70-80lbs at the most. According to this website people have caught wolves upwards of 175 lbs in Alaska, although they stated the average weight of a male wolf is between 100-110 lbs. So there is some variance for sure and the wolf in the video seems to be one of those rare big ones that was actually caught on tape.

Back
Top Bottom