A Tune from my Grad Recital

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Hey, all. Just thought I'd share a song I performed at my recital approx. one year ago. It's by John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, called Dawn. The band is guitar (me), bass, keyboard, drums, and violin. I know I miss a few notes in my solo, but I think this was my favourite song of the bunch. Enjoy. Just click the link here:

[Here are better links]:
http://rapidshare.de/files/13300087/HarrisonKoehli-Dawn.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/13300179/styrofoam-nightmare.mp3.html

(Oh, it's in 7/4 for those interested)

Thanks, Lucy! I also put up a really bad quality recording from last September. It's a band with some cousins of mine (and a drummer from school whose name is Max Roach!) playing a King Crimson song. The recording is from our 2nd or 3rd rehearsal, and I think it's pretty intense. Too bad the recording is so bad! ;)

hkoehli said:
Thanks, Lucy! I also put up a really bad quality recording from last September. It's a band with some cousins of mine (and a drummer from school whose name is Max Roach!) playing a King Crimson song. The recording is from our 2nd or 3rd rehearsal, and I think it's pretty intense. Too bad the recording is so bad! ;)
Hey...you're not talking about THE Max Roach, are you. He'd have to be a pretty old man by now! Just teasing...maybe your friend from school became a drummer to live up to his name?

I saw King Crimson a long time ago in a little club in Huntington Beach, Calif.; The Golden Bear. They were great, and your recording conveys something of the energy they gave off live...they weren't technically perfect, but they were intense, and a lot of fun. I put "Nightmare" on my playlist today as well. It took me a little time to get the link to cooperate, but finally, success.

So I'm enjoying both. And I'm really glad you shared.
BTW-- Are you a Jeff Beck fan?

Lucy

Lucy said:
Hey...you're not talking about THE Max Roach, are you. He'd have to be a pretty old man by now! Just teasing...maybe your friend from school became a drummer to live up to his name?

I saw King Crimson a long time ago in a little club in Huntington Beach, Calif.; The Golden Bear. They were great, and your recording conveys something of the energy they gave off live...they weren't technically perfect, but they were intense, and a lot of fun. I put "Nightmare" on my playlist today as well. It took me a little time to get the link to cooperate, but finally, success.

So I'm enjoying both. And I'm really glad you shared.
BTW-- Are you a Jeff Beck fan?
I've never asked him, but I think it was just coincidence that he became a drummer (he can play other instruments as well). He's a really good drummer, so he's well on his way to living up to the other Roach.

As for King Crimson, I've been listening to their newer stuff, and man, these guys still rock! I've got a live cd of theirs and this one at least is technically perfect! Fripp is just amazing (and he's a Gurdjieff work student, to boot). The band on my recording just got together for a battle of the bands at a bar on my university's campus. I wish we would have recorded it because the night was pretty much flawless. "Nightmare" came together perfectly. Oh well, I'll bet it's still floating around the aether somewhere!

I really like Jeff Beck (don't have his cds, though). I played a version of Django for my recital that he did with John McLaughlin.

hkoehli said:
As for King Crimson, I've been listening to their newer stuff, and man, these guys still rock! I've got a live cd of theirs and this one at least is technically perfect! Fripp is just amazing (and he's a Gurdjieff work student, to boot). The band on my recording just got together for a battle of the bands at a bar on my university's campus. I wish we would have recorded it because the night was pretty much flawless. "Nightmare" came together perfectly. Oh well, I'll bet it's still floating around the aether somewhere! I really like Jeff Beck (don't have his cds, though). .
I'm only familiar with KC's older stuff. I didn't know Fripp was into Gurdjieff...which is interesting! I believe he's been the only consistent member of the band through a lot of personel changes over the years. I guess he's the one with the 'Crimson vision'.

I also wish you'd recorded your battle of the bands performance...so you could share it with us. Yes...it probably is still floating around out there in the aether somewhere. I have memories of live performances from years ago still floating around in my head...so in some way they're still 'here'...inside my memory if nothing else, and perhaps in the aether as well.

All electric guitarists I've met are Jeff Beck fans. I think of him as a guitarist's guitarist. This week on http://www.guitar-poll.com/home.php he's rated at #9. Not being a guitarist, my two favorites by him are Wild Thing, and People Get Ready (probably not the choices a guitarist would make), which I like as much for the vocals as anything else. And they have sentimental value for me. The only JB I own is a 3 disk anthology set called Beckology, which I don't even have with me right now. Which reminds me I need to get it back!

I hope you'll continue to share your music with us. You're very talented.

Lucy

Back
Top Bottom