A Star, Helicopter, Drone or UFO?

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I saw something pulsating in the night sky this morning at pretty much exactly 01:00 am local time (UTC + 01:00), apparently pulsating rather quickly with quite intense (though not too bright) colors ranging from blue, to red, to bright greenish as far as I could see. It was stationary hanging there in the sky and quite some distance away from my viewpoint. I watched it for at least 10 Minutes, so a plane is unlikely.

I captured some images of the object which I would like to share. Since I have a pretty exact time frame from the pictures and pretty good areal features/markers in the shots in order to establish where it was approximately located in the sky (in terms of GPS coordinates where I was standing [and altitude from my observation point], Azimuth of the object on the horizon, approx. degrees above the horizon) I searched on Stellarium to see if any star or planet could have been the culprit at that moment in time. As far as I could gather, the Azimuth from my observation point was around 87° degrees and I was standing 315 meters above see level while the object was at most 10° degrees above the horizon but more likely more like between 4° and 8° above the horizon. On the pictures you can see a roof on the left and a church tower to the right and a hill in the background above which the object appeared. Thus giving us a pretty precise way of determining where the object was located in the night sky. From what I could gather, a planet can be ruled out too, since nowhere close was any planet at that point (Venus and Jupiter for example where well below the horizon).

First, two pictures taken at exactly the same location and viewpoint during day time, to give a better perspective of what can be seen at night with the same camera and set up.

UFO da.jpg

Digitally zoomed in:

UFO da.jpg

Here are all the 8 short clips I took arranged chronologically from the first to the last one. Some are zoomed in digitally. In those zoomed version the quite intense colors are pretty accurately captured while the size of the object is a bit exaggerated do to the blurry nature of the digital zoom. If you use the slow motion feature "0,25" on youtube, you will be better able to see the color changes. Video 1, 3 and 4 are without digital zoom while Videos 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are digitally zoomed in. Video 8 comes closest as to how it appeared with the naked eye, distance and size wise. Of course it looked quite better with the naked eye. You can watch all 8 short clips stringed behind each other here.

to be continued...

Last edited:

In Stellarium the exact location in the sky at that point looks as follows:

Unbenannt das.jpg

Here is the same Stellarium viewpoint. The red circle indicates my roughly calculated point in the sky where the object must have been, namely the Azimuth of 87° degrees and the 10° degrees Max height above the horizon. The red rectangle is supposed to be the margin of error from my calculation toward reality. Azimuth can be of quite a bit so I gave a margin of error of the Azimuth degrees of plus/minus 5 degrees and for the height in degrees above the horizon between 4° and Max 10° degrees. So theoretically, every star in that red rectangle window could have been the object theoretically.

Unbenannt das 2.jpg

As you can see, the 4 brightest stars are (in Order of brightness):

1; Unukalhai (Alpha Serpentis) Alpha Serpentis - Wikipedia with a brightness of 2,60

2; Nasak Yamani I (Delta Serpentis) Delta Serpentis - Wikipedia with a brightness of 4,10

3; Lambda Serpentis (λ Serpentis / 27 Serpentis) Lambda Serpentis - Wikipedia with a brightness of 4,40

4; 16 Serpentis 16 Serpentis - Wikipedia
with a brightness of 5,25

A satellite can be ruled out too. Apparently stars can blink in colors although I have some doubts if such intense and fast pulsating colors are possible:

It is probably "chromatic" scintillation indeed. This happens with strong turbulence when a bright star is seen close to the horizon (planets twinkle far less becauseof their apparent angular diameter). From the magnitudes you posted, it could be Alpha Serpentis. The rate at which it pulsates depends on the velocity of the pockets of air producing the twinkling (roughly perpendicular to the line of sight but not necessarily).
A good test is to go out at the same time the next time and see if the object is in the same direction.

Edit: Here is an example of the changing colors of Sirius over 2seconds (while moving the camera to obtain the squiggle

twinklesirius_strip.jpg

Last edited:
It look like a orb. This one was just orange, observed it comming and moving not in a streigt line from way above.

Attachments

• ovni 7 avril 2012.jpg
    ovni 7 avril 2012.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 17
Here are three still photos to exemplify the different colors. Note; I have not tempered with any of the footage in all the videos and pictures, no brightness or color enhancments. In other words; the colors and brightness is as it was recorded by the camera.

Green:
Pic 1 Green.jpg

Red:

Pic 2 Red.jpg

Whitish:

Pic 3 whitish.jpg

As far as I remember there was also a quite intense blue in between, although in the shots I have it doesn't seem to have been captured.

Also within 10 minutes the stars move quite a bit so you can compare if it moves with them. It looks a bit like a helicopter to me, but who knows!

I saw a strange plane - I assume was a plane because its speed, altitude, and it is in a flight path consistent with the small planes that fly by all the time... but it was strange because it was flashing from different points on the plane. And it seemed brighter than normal lights and were white.
Maybe it is taking night pictures of the ground below? So it would flash from different points to cover more area?

Me and my family made a trip to a place called stone peak, in Central Negros, Philippines.
I shot some pictures of the beautiful surroundings there..
What later caught my attention on these pictures was a strange light that changed its position. Me and my family members could not see it with our own eyes, only the camera could not be fooled..
I have to add, that where the light is near the ground, a friend told me that this is a kind of religious worshipping place, as rumor has it, there lived a priest with stigmatised hands..
Have no idea what to make of it..
Just strange..
Let me know what you think..

60EFFABC-C2B9-4105-AFC1-1E7E2C9D4EF8.jpeg4F9EFF0A-E397-4825-9194-48DAB4FF4674.jpegBC149110-E3E2-48DA-957C-783DE411FF42.jpegD6A6453F-CBFA-4BAB-AA7E-1D66311AD810.jpeg

What later caught my attention on these pictures was a strange light that changed its position. Me and my family members could not see it with our own eyes, only the camera could not be fooled..
Unless they have a filter, cameras are sensible to infrared light. A test would be to film with this camera a TV remote control and see if you see the same colour.

If you trace a approximate line between then sun and the green light, you will see that both objects are symmetrical to the center of the image. That suggests that it's a lens flare.

The first two pictures were made at exactly 5pm. I did not realize the light in the sky until i looked at the pictures later at home..
On the third picture made 12 minutes later i noticed the light right after i took it and also thought that may be a flare, (i made the pictures with an iphone and flares never happened so far..) so i did this fourth one right after and the light has moved and what i also found weird is that it seems to be shining through some bushes from below..
Or maybe, it is just a simple flare 💁‍♂️...

The first two pictures were made at exactly 5pm. I did not realize the light in the sky until i looked at the pictures later at home..
On the third picture made 12 minutes later i noticed the light right after i took it and also thought that may be a flare, (i made the pictures with an iphone and flares never happened so far..) so i did this fourth one right after and the light has moved and what i also found weird is that it seems to be shining through some bushes from below..
Or maybe, it is just a simple flare 💁‍♂️...
The hillside photos do not look like a lens flare to me; interesting. Have no idea what it could be unless an objet in the forest was reflecting light somehow.

Back
Top Bottom