A SOTT mobile phone app?

Keyhole

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I just came across the RussiaToday application for mobile phones, and it made me think... Has anyone thought of making a SOTT app? I have no technical knowledge when it comes to software or anything, but perhaps someone on this forum with some expertise in the field may be able to come up with some ideas.

It would be a great way to keep updated!

I use an app called Feedly. It's free to download and you can set it up to receive RSS feeds from many different sites. I have mine set up for RT and SOTT and it makes life really easy because it constantly feeds new stories to your phone all day. I also have it linked up with my FB, G+ and Twitter accounts so I can share any news I want at the push of a button. I'm on android btw but I would imagine they make the app for other phones as well.

My technical knowledge is around zilch too! There's the SOTT e-mail that you can subscribe to. It really helps. Better for the team to focus on more pressing concerns than building applications, which is really about the ease of the individual user. Tech-minded members might correct this but, apps seem to group together & run & run when you think that they're not. On start-up, "force stop" etc. They then behave erratically or drain battery (dunno about PC's, I'm on a tablet) life at an increased rate & other things. I wouldn't really have use for another app - but off-line use is always the biggie for me.

Added: thinking more on what Pete recommended, I'm pretty sure that I used that when I first got online (dunno why I stopped) & if it is the one, then I second the recommendation. No need for a SOTT app... would still be cool though.

Ascien said:
My technical knowledge is around zilch too! There's the SOTT e-mail that you can subscribe to. It really helps. Better for the team to focus on more pressing concerns than building applications
I guess I didn't consider how much work the SOTT team actually have one their hands, so cheers for pointing that out for me :P. Personally I don't really use any apps so I haven't experienced any of the downfalls. Maybe someone from the forum with the tech-knowledge and some spare time might be able to do it as a project.

Pete said:
I use an app called Feedly. It's free to download and you can set it up to receive RSS feeds from many different sites. I have mine set up for RT and SOTT and it makes life really easy because it constantly feeds new stories to your phone all day. I also have it linked up with my FB, G+ and Twitter accounts so I can share any news I want at the push of a button. I'm on android btw but I would imagine they make the app for other phones as well.
Thanks Pete, I was not aware of this app. Perhaps it wouldn't be much worth to make a SOTT application if there are already similar ones that can be used. My main thoughts were that it would :
1. Make it easier for readers to keep updated
And 2. Make it possible for more people to discover SOTT

As you said Keyhole, with apps such as Feedly out there it seems like a SOTT app would be a bit redundant. I know there was discussion among FotCM members some time ago about developing apps to help support the fellowship, but those with the skills already had enough on their plates with other projects and dealing with everyday life. Though maybe some of the new forum members and/or new FotCM members do have the time and expertise?

When talking about "apps" one should always ask the question: "What does the app DO?" I haven't tried the RT app, but I'm interested in what it does, and which advantage does it bring to users that can't be had via a regular browsing (in the standard browser) of the RT web page. Many companies publish "apps" just to create a 'modern' image of themselves and to increase 'customer/reader loyalty', or because they gain something else from it (injecting ads, data collection, etc.) Most such "apps" are just yet another, special browser where you don't have to enter the URL, and which display the content in a larger font size or differently arranged, but they don't DO anything.

Rephrasing for Sott: What would be the advantage for people to use a Sott app that can't be had via regular browsing of the web page?

Making a Sott app is possible, but it would be a huge time and energy drain for those making and maintaining it. If there are good reasons to do so, it's worth it, otherwise not. IMO.

I build iOS apps too and have been thinking of something that can serve as a tool for those seeking and gathering knowledge.

Maybe with further discussion, an idea will be born.

KingTiger.

Data said:
When talking about "apps" one should always ask the question: "What does the app DO?" I haven't tried the RT app, but I'm interested in what it does, and which advantage does it bring to users that can't be had via a regular browsing (in the standard browser) of the RT web page. Many companies publish "apps" just to create a 'modern' image of themselves and to increase 'customer/reader loyalty', or because they gain something else from it (injecting ads, data collection, etc.) Most such "apps" are just yet another, special browser where you don't have to enter the URL, and which display the content in a larger font size or differently arranged, but they don't DO anything.

Rephrasing for Sott: What would be the advantage for people to use a Sott app that can't be had via regular browsing of the web page?

Making a Sott app is possible, but it would be a huge time and energy drain for those making and maintaining it. If there are good reasons to do so, it's worth it, otherwise not. IMO.

I would say that having a better experience with responsive design is desirable. The current SOTT page is not fit for the screen size of mobile devices and having an app that that mimics a browser where you don't need to enter a URL is better enough than browsing with your phone, or actually using Feedly (mostly because you would have comments and categories properly placed).

I think the question would be, how necessary would be for SOTT to have this sort of offering? Would it surpass the benefits against the troubles of maintaining it?

But lets not focus on an app only, could it be feasible a smaller approach? how about making an alternate site mobile-ready site, maybe m.sott.net. Nothing fancy, just enough to read and search?

Navigator said:
But lets not focus on an app only, could it be feasible a smaller approach? how about making an alternate site mobile-ready site, maybe m.sott.net. Nothing fancy, just enough to read and search?
I think this is a great idea Navigator :thup:
Data said:

Well, viewing SOTT on my mobile phone sometimes glitches and takes me to the bottom of the page once it has loaded, and as pointed out above, it isn't necessarily compatible with the screen sizes on many mobile devices. For some of the readers who don't have constant access to the internet on a computer and rely on their mobile device for online access most of the time (me included) it can be difficult to read SOTT at times. As Navigator suggested it wouldn't need to be fancy or complex and probably wouldn't require much maintenance. Many websites have created mobile-friendly versions and they often work much more efficiently when using a mobile phone. The amount of people who use their phones for the internet is increasing as well and perhaps if someone was to try to view SOTT for the first time lets say, and it wasn't compatible with their phones, they might be deterred from coming back?

I still get confused between what the difference between an app actually is and a website is ... It should'nt be too difficult to get an app module for the cms being used which just rearranges the existing information to suit the device being used to read it.

I do think a sott daily lifestyle or living app might be cool.

So at the end of week number one where I decided to devote more time each day to working on myself using the suggestions, methods, diet, forum etc here,

I have found like with any new routine towards the end of the week it gets difficult. A system like a personal training studio would use is what I am used to. Ironically, that was not as successful as I would have wanted!!!.

Gosh,
I cant edit the last forum post.

I looked at the sott.net site. When I resize it in my browser the columns do not rearrange themselves to suit the new browser size. I think this means that the site is not responsive. If it was responsive the column number in width would decrease as the browser got thinner.
An then it doesnt look like there is mobile friendly menu.

To make it responsive I think it would need a new theme which is responsive.

Back
Top Bottom