A private journal option within the forum?

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to create a private "journal" option within the forum. Essentially, it would be an optional private section that could serve as a private space for writing notes, experiences, etc. as one would in a journal. By having a private journal within the forum, one could insert links to pertinent threads, easily quote relevant passages etc.. I think it would be beneficial for those that opted to use it. It would be especially helpful when going back through notes and trying to remember the "flavor" of the thinking process that was in one's head at the time they were written.

I don't see a need for something like this, when its just as simple to journal in a word document in a different window.

(Does that make sense?) :/

keeping a personal journal of your daily thoughts and observations is an excellent idea. But I don't think an online forum is the right medium to store it in. You can still store hyperlinks in a text document stored on your computer, or you could do it the old fashioned way like I do - on paper! There's some kind of process that happens when going through the actions of writing things down physically, which seems to aid the mental process of organising and remembering ideas.

Initially, I was hesitant to post the question for the same reasons that you mentioned Gimpy. The reason I decided to post anyway was mainly due to considerations of the convenience that would be offered if such a feature was available. I agree with you Nomad that physically writing things down really does help one to organize and remember ideas. Unfortunately, my handwriting has been referred to as "chicken scratch" many many times and even I have a hard time reading what I've written sometimes! Thus, I think I will continue to stick with using a Word document.

I find a paper journal very convenient - I can write it up in bed at the end of the day, or pick it up at any time if something occurs to me. I'm sure there are online solutions out there (like private blogging tools etc) which some people might find easier to use - though I'd be extremely hesitant (well, I basically wouldn't do it) about putting to an online server (even privately) what goes into my journal. Also, I tend to work visually, which means my journal has spider-diagrams, sketches, different layouts, sidenotes, squiggly lines etc mixed in with the text - very hard to find software that can do that so easily!

just another thing I'd add, for anyone considering starting a journal: I've found that I can sometimes be 'stuck' on a particular line of thought. Then when I write it down, and I see it in black and white, this triggers 'something' that quite often allows me to process it differently, internalise it, frees up whatever blockage or blind spot and allows me to 'move on' to the next thing. It really is a great, useful tool for learning, especially when used in conjunction with all the various reading material here such as the psychology / narcissim stuff. Also it is a great way of looking back and observing how one's state changes, and how different i's manifest over time.

Another useful learning tool, is then publically blogging the understanding that comes from this process, ie: short articles about ponerology or whatever. This is good for organising one's knowledge-base, but is also a way of 'giving back', putting that processed knowledge out there for other people to benefit from.

[quote author=SeekingtheTruth]
I think I will continue to stick with using a Word document. 
[/quote]

[quote author=Nomad]
I tend to work visually, which means my journal has spider-diagrams, sketches, different layouts, sidenotes, squiggly lines etc mixed in with the text - very hard to find software that can do that so easily!
[/quote]

I purchased mind mapping software a while back that worked great for this purpose. The particular one I got is called Mind Manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MindManager), although I'm sure there must be many available. Nice and visual with comprehensive functionality, and inexpensive. You can also make a PDF of your mind map and share it with others, or print it out and stick it on your wall. You can link to URLs or to Word documents with your own thoughts.

The installation file has a small file size as well, so you can purchase it online, download and install and immediately off you go. They all have trials, so you can test them out for free before you decide on one.

My hand gets sore when I write a lot, so I prefer a keyboard. But another option to not inhibit thought processes might be to scribble on a piece of paper first, and then organize it nicely in mind mapping software afterwards, cause I usually get sidetracked with all the icons, colours and tools and then I become more preoccupied with beautifying my mind map, than the actual content of it.

Back
Top Bottom