A little about the Bee Gee, if you like them!

Thanks Loreta for the video :-)

Interestingly, a few days ago I was wondering what about the last Bee Gee; Barry Gibb, and I found his last album from 2016 with excellent songs, with a more modern sound and songs that range to the "rock", going through the most romantic, nostalgic, to something mysterious, but in synthesis, a very good work... some of my favorites: Star crossed lovers, Gray ghost, Daddy's little girl and Soldier's son.

Yes, pain is a reoccurring theme with Star Level Success.

George Michael was someone I liked a lot. In one documentary I found out that his last days on Earth were more like living in Hell. Sad that "Just enjoy it" simply does not register with these people. The guy could have lived ANYWHERE in the World. Where does he stay ? In the lousy climate UK living like a hermit in a run down low scale "upper class" house. But heck, that's human nature.

Thanks for putting this little interview up Loreta. I discovered the Bee Gees back when I was listening to funk/disco music back in the mid 90's, they wrote some excellent songs. The emotion connected to bereavement is deep, it's a well I've been stuck in for months, so it was beneficial to listen to Barry Gibb here. He's always come across as a gentle and decent guy, and his sincerity comes across here.

I'm gonna have to go off and find Jive Talkin' on youtube now.....;-)

Also as a side note to the Gibbs; Barry, the last one of the brothers standing, is also the eldest brother. That must be so strange and bewildering, to be the oldest and yet the last one alive. How sad to meet such bad luck. I know how he feels man, I've been watching football today for some fun, and how I missed my brother being there to enjoy it with me. We both played county football as kids, see.

The guy could have lived ANYWHERE in the World. Where does he stay ? In the lousy climate UK living like a hermit in a run down low scale "upper class" house. But heck, that's human nature.

Hey man, not all of the UK sucks. I live on the West coast of Wales, and when my mates from London from my University days came to visit me, they found the environment to be breathtaking. They couldn't believe how much space there was between people's houses! It was like a totally new idea of an environment to them. And I live in an upper working class place, nothing special. A mate of mine Daniel, a very intelligent Jewish Londoner, said you live in Britain's best kept secret. And it's true, we do. The Irish sea currents help to keep our climate clement. We have cooler summers, but we have WAY milder winters, almost never getting snow.

Mild is the word, and in our crazy world I'll take mild any day of the week.:-)

Just as an added gag, and sorry for changing context in the thread; I live in a place called Merlin's Bridge. That alone proves that Wales is offically cool. A lot of amazon sellers send letters saying that I live at a cool address, and that's good enough for me. We also mined the Preseli Bluestones for Stonehenge. There is nowhere on earth cooler than Stonehenge in my view, it's a Cosmic Clock built for men. And by men I mean people, everyone.

Anyway back on track; the video is great, another reason for liking/loving the Bee Gees. Sorry for the digression, I felt I had to defend Pembrokeshire, a cool part of the UK.:-)

Barry Gibb was really cute when young, he should have play Jesus in a movie :-D
The Bee Gees remind me my young disco time. I like to see how artists express themselves, to see if they are intelligent or not. When you are a star you always loose a part of your soul, I think.

Hey man, not all of the UK sucks. I live on the West coast of Wales, and when my mates from London from my University days came to visit me, they found the environment to be breathtaking. They couldn't believe how much space there was between people's houses! It was like a totally new idea of an environment to them. And I live in an upper working class place, nothing special. A mate of mine Daniel, a very intelligent Jewish Londoner, said you live in Britain's best kept secret. And it's true, we do. The Irish sea currents help to keep our climate clement. We have cooler summers, but we have WAY milder winters, almost never getting snow.

Mild is the word, and in our crazy world I'll take mild any day of the week.:-)
I do agree. I was in Wales (Swansea) last August, and I found it to be a really pleasant place. For an Aussie, the roads were somewhat claustrophobic, but I can say I know your secret! As for the BeeGees, I really like their music, and they were immigrants from Britain to Australia just like I was many years ago. It must be hard for Barry without his brothers, they were quite a team and the harmonies were fantastic. I'm not a real fan of the Falsettos, but they seemed to work for them.

Hey man, not all of the UK sucks.
Didn't mean to knock you guys too hard however I have experience living in a place where cloud cover is frequent. It is a drag on the mood. George was in depression. As a friend I would have told him get on a plane and go to Tahiti for 3 months during Northern winter. Perhaps he was doing it. The documentary images of where he lived didn't give me confidence that it was fun inspiring place. Muted is what comes to my mind. In the end though he decided how to live his Life, a Life which had few financial limitations.

Despite the cold, studies have shown that the temperature shift is not the main suspect for feelings of seasonal depression. It is instead the lack of daylight, more than the shift in any other atmospheric phenomena, which leads to feelings of depletion. Psychologist Mark E. Beecher of Brigham Young University conducted a study involving 16,452 adults that analyzed therapeutic distress across 19 weather and pollution variables over a six-year period. He found that seasonal increases in the amount of time spent in the sun were linked to decreased emotional stress—whereas temperature and pollution variables had no effect.

These results are surprising: One would think that weather, temperature, and pollution would have a profound effect on mood. Rainy days are often associated with sadness, however in the conducted study, this was not the case. The only variable which had any noticeable effect was the amount of sun time during the day.

Seasonal affective disorder can be debilitating. But Beecher’s findings are good news for anyone feeling emotionally and energetically depleted during the winter months. Rather than staying curled up in bed, which does seem enticing, your mood could conversely benefit from doing just the opposite. Getting exposure to sunlight, even if just through a window, has immense benefits on one’s emotional well-being. Taking a walk outside or meeting up with friends during daylight hours is just about the best thing for your mental state during the winter.

Happiness, Health, and Light
The correlation of light and mood is dependent on the body’s natural response mechanisms to produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter which helps to elevate the mood; and melatonin, a hormone which promotes sleep. When the body recognizes sunlight through the optic nerve, the gland in the brain which regulates melatonin slows its function, and serotonin levels increase. When light is diminished, the body increases the secretion of melatonin, and the secretion of serotonin is conversely slowed.

Being out in the sun is proven to make you healthier not just emotionally, but physically as well. It promotes healthier attitudes toward diet and exercise, and gives us the our dose of Vitamin D which can be hard to get from foods alone. Vitamin D promotes healthy cell and bone growth, reduces inflammation, and helps to stimulate immune function. Being exposed to the sun can lower blood pressure, create stronger bones and teeth, reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer, and can help to cure skin conditions including psoriasis and eczema. But don’t forget to protect your skin with sunscreen when you’re soaking up those rays!

Being in the sun also increases our vitality and energy. Richard Ryan, a psychology professor at the University of Rochester states that “research has shown that people with a greater sense of vitality don’t just have more energy for things they want to do, they are also more resilient to physical illnesses. One of the pathways to health may be to spend more time in natural settings.”

Just getting outside can do wonders for our health. Living in the developed modern world, it can be easy to forget our natural cycles and our most innate needs. We have synthetic lights, so we do not necessarily need to follow nature’s clock. Yet being in the presence of nature is so essential. It is inextricable from our being, and once we acknowledge this, there is bliss.

The Sufi poet Hafiz once wrote a poem titled “It Felt Love.” There’s a lot we can learn from it about our relationship with the sun. Light is the key to our innate flourishing souls. When we open ourselves up to receive the light, our beauty shines forth.

How
Did the rose
Ever open its heart
And give to this world
All its
Beauty?
It felt the encouragement of light
Against its
Being,
Otherwise,
We all remain
Too
Frightened.

The Bee Gees are one my favorite groups, at least in my top three. I never got to see them perform live but I did meet Maurice Gibb at a fan event in Miami about 25 years ago. I recall that he was quite jolly. Some people find their falsettos annoying but I love their harmonies and their music was quite a mood-booster for me for many years. It must be quite sad for Barry Gibb that he is the last of the brothers.

I did not they were from Australia:-P But it is interesting the remark he made about Barbra Streissand..."She scars me...She gets ung...She is happy and angry,happy and angry..." And i think he is using the verbs in present.Anyway... i will always remember their unique voices.
Thanks for sharing loreta:flowers:

I did not they were from Australia:-P But it is interesting the remark he made about Barbra Streissand..."She scars me...She gets ung...She is happy and angry,happy and angry..."
Good observation. I also found it curious what he said about her. But in her case she always struck me as being anything but a nice person. I think her talent was overblown. There are many very good singers out there but if the "right people" don't take you on board you will go nowhere no matter what. In the end "Money can't buy you Love" because that is a Universal Law.

Back
Top Bottom